Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's going to be Hughton isn't it...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Amazing. We had a manager with personality (Poyet) and most bed wetters on here couldn't handle him

How many on NSC meet this criteria?

Bedwetting Liberal is a derogatory term used to describe people of a political leaning. The term bedwetting is used to denote a hand-wringing, scared, worrisome, pansy attitude, afraid of their own shadows. The term liberal denotes the love of spending, social programs, handholding and acceptance of such things as illegal immigration.

And of those how many couldn't handle Poyet?

Sorry, but I just don't see your point. :shrug::shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was immediately lukewarm about this appointment until you start reading a bit about him, his man management style, management record and achievements.

I know it's only Wikipedia but well worth a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hughton

Some choice sections:

Hughton places great emphasis on two aspects of management: "As a manager, I've got to make sure they have the correct training sessions. That they are disciplined. That creates a good environment.

When Hughton was dismissed as Newcastle manager, Kevin Nolan told The Sun, "Sometimes at clubs, when a manager goes, there will be some players who are pleased to see the back of him ... But everybody liked Chris. He was very popular, not just with the players but everyone who worked for the club."

Exactly what is needed now.

And taking Newcastle back up might be seen by some as a forgone conclusion but I really don't think it was. They are hugely well supported but at that time the fans had become massively disillusioned with the club hierachy and didn't support the arrival of Dennis Wise as DOF so they really needed someone to come in and steady the ship and galvanize everyone into pulling in the same direction. Sound familiar?

Perhaps his other big achievement that goes overlooked is to arrive at newly relegated Birmingham and take them to a 4th placed finish the following season. Something that every other manager since has failed until it would seem Rowlett who has gone in there and got the basics right and they slowly moved up the table. Again, this is something that for me is key for the remainder of this season.

I also don't buy that the football will necessarily be dull. Newcastle certainly didn't win 29 0f their 30 victories in that record breaking season 1-0 did they? What I think and hope he does if appointed is stop making footballers need to be good at several disciplines and focus on what they're good at individually for the collective good of the team. Yes they'll have to work hard but as units with distinct roles and tasks.

Defenders will defend, midfielders will give steel and guile and attacking players will be left to attack. It's a simple game when you think about it and all SH did was over complicate it for everyone.

Pulis or Hughton either way it won't bother me as I think both will go back to basics for this season.

First mention I've seen in this round of speculation of the two words 'Dennis' and 'Wise'. Let's hope it's the last!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Edited for accuracy. Is Hughton submissive enough to sit down and shut up meekly, I wonder?

Our fans were fed up with outspoken Poyet long before Barber appeared. In fact I remember it being most vocal in League One when he was regularly getting warned / fined etc

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If were not going to pull out all the stops for pullis or Sherwood then I would rather McDermott over Hughton any day of the week

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't take the suspense, I want a new manager now!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If were not going to pull out all the stops for pullis or Sherwood then I would rather McDermott over Hughton any day of the week

McDermott is scouting for Arsenal and, when linked with a return to Reading recently, indicated he had made a commitment to Arsenal to be in the role for the duration of this season and he was going to honour that.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

I agree with you re Pulis, but I am baffled by your dislike of Hughton.

Sherwood has no experience in this league and whilst I like McDermott, he was lucky to have struck gold with Jason Roberts. Other than that his record is nowhere near as good as Hughton's.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Perhaps his other big achievement that goes overlooked is to arrive at newly relegated Birmingham and take them to a 4th placed finish the following season.

Well worth a look at what he did there given that was his last Championship job. In addition to what you've already mentioned, they were in a complete mess off the pitch at that point as well, and despite having a number of players on obscene wages, the squad wasn't that great at all - certainly I remember predicting they'd struggle.

Oh, and they ALSO had a Europa League campaign to contend with that year as well, so, all things considered, to finish 4th was pretty bloody decent.

I'll admit Hughton wouldn't feel like the most inspiring or progressive appointment, long-term, but for what we need right now, in terms of managerial/coaching experience, defensive organisation and knowing what's required in this league, we could do a lot, lot worse.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Argus made me laugh the other day when Andy Naylor reported that a new manager would be in place either before or after the Brentford game.

One prediction I think you might get right, Andy

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Argus made me laugh the other day when Andy Naylor reported that a new manager would be in place either before or after the Brentford game.

I've now got the feeling we're going to appoint our new manager at 4pm on Saturday the 3rd January.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I think he missed out the word just as just before Brentford or just after. I think the new managers 1st game will be Brentford in the cup or possibly Charlton away

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not really cos TB could hang about and it be Ipswich at home or Blackpool away going by the usual time it takes to get a manager or players signed.
When was the last time we went over a month of the season without a permanent manager? If fact, apart from boxing day, when was the last time we didn't have a permanent manager for a single game?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
None have left during the season since Slade, when Gus was an obvious outstanding replacement. The situation is different now with NJ in charge and many applicants of similar experience and ability available, that is disregarding any possible aging players wishing to make the change so the choosing could be more difficult and take longer.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not that keen but I happen to think that anybody would be better than our last manager who gets my award as the worst Brighton manager I have ever seen (that will be starting from 1975) I think Martin Hinshelwood and Jeff Wood and even Jimmy Case would have done a better job than Hyypia, so just pleased we are getting a new manager.

My sentiments entirely.
Hyypia's level of ineptitude knew no depths. He will join the list of good players not cut out to be managers. He probably cost us 8-10 points already this season so there is hope that a new man will rally the troops and we will start winning games.
Bloom's decision to appoint Hyypia really defies belief, given the other candidates available. One wonders if he was influenced by others.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hughton backed heavily today, now 6/4 F from 5/1 yesterday

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
I personally don't rate Hughton....he's an ok no.2 but not what we need & I feel sure he'd take us down. However he fits Bloom's stable introverted type so I'll not be surprised if he makes the same mistake again....shame, I was almost thinking about renewing as well! :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here