Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Tony Bloom letting his heart rule his head over Sami?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All TB had to do was decline the interview surely

Crap timing for an interview, as TB is in a no-win situation: he either sits on the fence about the the manager and in turn puts more pressure on him, or says Sami is here to stay and the squad is fine, therefore coming across as completely misjudging the growing discontent amongst what were formerly known as supporters.

All a bit amateur hour really.

So you're basically saying our chairman should have declined to engage with fans whom he knows are having concerns about the manager, but in turn he wanted state his own confidence in him?

How is that amateur hour ahead of an international break? Perfect timing to get the news out now, nearly 2 weeks before the next game. Gives Sami the pat on the back and support he feels he might need, and we can get behind the team knowing whether we like or not, the manager is here to stay for the moment.

Much rather have an owner prepared to engage with fans through fans forums and released statements than one that doesn't say a word.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I understand why TB felt he had to say what he has, but reading the words in black and white was very disheartening. Cannot see where we are currently heading.

Even a mate who will have nothing said against the club is getting very worried, so for me things are definitely not going in the right direction if he is so concerned.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So you're basically saying our chairman should have declined to engage with fans whom he knows are having concerns about the manager, but in turn he wanted state his own confidence in him?

How is that amateur hour ahead of an international break? Perfect timing to get the news out now, nearly 2 weeks before the next game. Gives Sami the pat on the back and support he feels he might need, and we can get behind the team knowing whether we like or not, the manager is here to stay for the moment.

Much rather have an owner prepared to engage with fans through fans forums and released statements than one that doesn't say a word.

This - damned if he does, damned if he doesn't

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Mostly agree with you, but in the same way TB is supporting Sami, Sami was hardly likely to publicly slate the player recruitment was he..........we simply don't know.
But he's gone one further than that, and said he thinks the squad is good enough for the play offs, so you would have to presume that he is happy with player recruitment

el punal

Tony Bloom is a very very clever business man, but because he is stinking rich, that doesn't mean his football knowledge compares to his fortune.

Unfortunately I think he is letting his heart rule his head on this issue.

THe chairman has once again stated he thinks the squad is capable of the play offs, so that leaves one set of people to blame for the current position.

Not one Sami Hyypia supporter can deny his side is driving away supporters in their thousands.

If this continues, we could be down 10,000 fans next season (fans who buy tickets and not turning up now, will not continue to buy tickets and not turn up next season), say spending an average of £30 a game over a 23 game home season, thats close of £7m in lost revenue.

Let just hope with the new FFP limits, Tony Bloom will make up that short fall, although I'd rather he change the manager now with someone experienced at this level, and if we don't go up this season (still think we can make the play offs with the right man in charge of the team), we can potentially have the lost fans, and Blooms money in the kitty. I think with an experienced manager in charge, this squad can make the play offs.
Alex Ferguson won sod all in his first four years as manager of Man.Utd after that he seemed to do alright. Sami Hyypia has been in charge for three months. Performances and results have been disappointing but not disastrous. And, yes, I agree that if this were to continue into the new year then Tony Bloom would have to act. Painful as it is, us Albion fans will just have to be patient and hope things turn around soon.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
If we havent moved up the table by christmas time, TB has a tough decision, to back SH in transfer window and recruit players that I presume will have been requested by SH or sack him and get a new man in and panic buy. We have a particularly difficult run comming up Norwich (A),Fulham (H),Derby (A),Millwall (H),Wolves (A) could be a meager haul of points from that lot... Then we would have problem as we would probably be in the bottom 3 at christmas.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I personally wouldnt read too much into these interview, he is not going to publicly slate either manager or player recruitment stratergy. He's a poker player so who knows what he's thinking. I would think that if we are in the bottom 3 come christmas TB will act. He isnt going to let his £200 million investment go into L1 without a fight.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I personally wouldnt read too much into these interview, he is not going to publicly slate either manager or player recruitment stratergy. He's a poker player so who knows what he's thinking. I would think that if we are in the bottom 3 come christmas TB will act. He isnt going to let his £200 million investment go into L1 without a fight.

In that case he needs to act sooner rather than later

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ferguson had a pedigree of success, Hyppia so far has a pedigree of failure

By the time he joined Manchester United, one of the biggest jobs in football he did have the pedigree. However he was sacked by St Mirren, and his first season at Aberdeen was seen as a struggle given they'd finished runners up the previous season and he only achieved 4th.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Alex Ferguson won sod all in his first four years as manager of Man.Utd after that he seemed to do alright. Sami Hyypia has been in charge for three months. Performances and results have been disappointing but not disastrous. And, yes, I agree that if this were to continue into the new year then Tony Bloom would have to act. Painful as it is, us Albion fans will just have to be patient and hope things turn around soon.
Stupid comparasion!

Sorry Tony Bloom is Brighton's number one fan, and will always be a legend for what he has done for the club, but on this one he is just wrong.

Bloom "It’s Sami’s first season in the championship. he’s going to be learning a lot as he goes along and he’s going to learn from those experiences and I look forward to the season ahead with some confidence. I like to be optimistic and I think good things will come out of it."

Sorry Tone, but that's bullshit. If you hired an experienced manager, he would have used your "play off quality squad" (which I completely agree with by the way), and we'd be sitting in the top 6 right now.

But to employ an inexperienced manager, with an equally inexperienced assitant, the current situation was always likely to happen. AN experienced manager would already have learnt the championship and we'd wouldn't be in the mess we are in.

BIg problem is though, if 24,500 turned up to the last two games, I would have less of an argument, but as Sami is learning the fans are leaving in their thousands, and whilst some people don't care to see the JCL's go away, I do, because without them we do no have the money under FFP to maintain our current squad, let alone add to it.

I hope Bloom is right, but I guarantee he never got his fortune taking as big as gambles as he is on Sami. Like everyone else, I hope he is right and Sami comes good, but other than the blind hope you talk about, I have not seem one thing in Sami or Jones which gives me the slightest hope that they will come good, in fact the complete opposite. If his gamble pays off, then great. If it doesn't then we could have a long time in the wilderness under FFP if the crowds continue to disappear at the rate Oscar and Sami have driven them away.

el punal

Stupid comparasion!

Sorry Tony Bloom is Brighton's number one fan, and will always be a legend for what he has done for the club, but on this one he is just wrong.

Bloom "It’s Sami’s first season in the championship. he’s going to be learning a lot as he goes along and he’s going to learn from those experiences and I look forward to the season ahead with some confidence. I like to be optimistic and I think good things will come out of it."

Sorry Tone, but that's bullshit. If you hired an experienced manager, he would have used your "play off quality squad" (which I completely agree with by the way), and we'd be sitting in the top 6 right now.

But to employ an inexperienced manager, with an equally inexperienced assitant, the current situation was always likely to happen. AN experienced manager would already have learnt the championship and we'd wouldn't be in the mess we are in.

BIg problem is though, if 24,500 turned up to the last two games, I would have less of an argument, but as Sami is learning the fans are leaving in their thousands, and whilst some people don't care to see the JCL's go away, I do, because without them we do no have the money under FFP to maintain our current squad, let alone add to it.

I hope Bloom is right, but I guarantee he never got his fortune taking as big as gambles as he is on Sami. Like everyone else, I hope he is right and Sami comes good, but other than the blind hope you talk about, I have not seem one thing in Sami or Jones which gives me the slightest hope that they will come good, in fact the complete opposite. If his gamble pays off, then great. If it doesn't then we could have a long time in the wilderness under FFP if the crowds continue to disappear at the rate Oscar and Sami have driven them away.

It's not a stupid comparison, it's a tongue in cheek one. The analogy being give whoever you choose a fair crack of the whip. I'm not convinced that Hyypia is the right man and, like you, would love it if he proved all his doubters wrong. Having said that and alluding to my original post three months is too short a time to expect ANY manager to achieve all that's expected of him.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It was computer generated statistics and bets with lackeys doing all the hard work for him, no way did Bloom sit in front of the Racing Post 24/7 picking out decent bets

That might be how it works now, but right at the beginning Bloom had to come it with the winning formula that the computers use.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Tony's got this very badly wrong. He's now making excuses for Sami's learning curve, but does he honestly think the "Play-Off standard squad" will respect and follow a manager who finishes his first season flirting with relegation?

We've failed to take chances in the play-offs but there's been no long-term damage. This situation, however, could potentially set the club back 3-5 seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here