Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Tony Bloom letting his heart rule his head over Sami?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How many so called clever business men have proved to be totally inept over football matters ? What is Bloom's great football knowledge that makes him make such bold statements about Hyppia ?

Simon Jordan, Sir Alan Sugar, the list of people that have lost big bailing out a football club is endless, at all levels!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
How many so called clever business men have proved to be totally inept over football matters ? What is Bloom's great football knowledge that makes him make such bold statements about Hyppia ?

He made so much money betting on football that Victor Chandler said come and work for me or you'll put me out of business.
He's clearly wrong about this Finnish CLOWN though.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He's hardly going to slaughter him in the Argus or leave any uncertainty in his level of support for him, whether he sees SH as a long term prospect or not. Personally I'm quite pleased that TB is sticking to his ways of doing things and not folding due to public demands for SH's head on a plate. I don't see us going down and if SH turns it round he may turn out to be a good manager. OK, it's not brilliant for the fans at the moment, and maybe TB has over egged our performances to date, but we've had more years of success since Gillingham than we have had in our history, so I don't think we have a lot to complain about overall.
I wish I had your optimism about that.

We are playing some dire football, other teams seem able to waltz right through our midfield and put the defence under pressure a lot-thankfully, the last few teams we've faced have been hopeless in front of goal (almost as bad as us in fact) otherwise we'd be looking up the table at Blackpool.

I really hope he manages to turn things around but the omens are not good.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Tony Bloom is a very very clever business man, but because he is stinking rich, that doesn't mean his football knowledge compares to his fortune.

Unfortunately I think he is letting his heart rule his head on this issue.

THe chairman has once again stated he thinks the squad is capable of the play offs, so that leaves one set of people to blame for the current position.

Not one Sami Hyypia supporter can deny his side is driving away supporters in their thousands.

If this continues, we could be down 10,000 fans next season (fans who buy tickets and not turning up now, will not continue to buy tickets and not turn up next season), say spending an average of £30 a game over a 23 game home season, thats close of £7m in lost revenue.

Let just hope with the new FFP limits, Tony Bloom will make up that short fall, although I'd rather he change the manager now with someone experienced at this level, and if we don't go up this season (still think we can make the play offs with the right man in charge of the team), we can potentially have the lost fans, and Blooms money in the kitty. I think with an experienced manager in charge, this squad can make the play offs.

Every point you make identiifies bad management. Hide behind FFP and watch your income plummet thus making it even more difficult to comply with FFP the next season. I think we're being mugged off by the executive. If we lose £7m thats the price of a decent player, I am seeing poor governance of the club, the consequence being lost momentum, deflated ambition, spin,dwindling attendances, poor football and a league position that demonstrates above all that the strategy at board room level is wrong.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
then we are really screwed if this mob are paid more than last seasons lot, who were far better players!

That really is astonishing that this season's rabble are earning so much.

Time to bring back performance related earnings for footballers-especially our current squad.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Exactly. As a business man, anyone questioning Tony Bloom credentials is an idiot.

But as a football chairman, whilst he can throw as many 10 of millions at the clubs as he wants, doesn't suddenly make him a genius about football. If he has enjoyed what he sees over the past couple of seasons, then fantastic. The dropping would suggest he's one of a few, so time for business man Tony, to have a word with Football man Tony, and do something to stop it.

Nearly eveyone who I know who cancelled their season ticket last season, stated the reason why they cancelled is because they were not enjoying it. It was boring and not value for money. These are football fans, some of whom now enjoy the local football scene.

People were giving up season tickets when we where pushing for the play offs and winning games because they where not seeing entertainment.

Imagine what will happen this season if we stay where we are and continue to produce the Entertainment value we are seeing? 7000 people stayed away for Wigan, thousands for Blackburn, how many of these will buy season tickets next season?

How many of the 16000 who bothered to turn up, will still buy a season ticket next season?

If that is the case it may even be better for us to go down, and draw the crowds back by storming league one as Wolves did.

The club has proven it can fill the Amex. The supporters are out there. What it has failed to do is retain them, and that is 100% down to the performance on the pitch.

Now if Blooms keeping Sami on, and backing him like this, as someone as already said in this thread, he could setting himself up for a major fall.

If the performances continue like they are, I would be be surprised to see a sub 14k bums of seats attendence this season. If that happens, we are totally screwed next season, because their will be little chance of us meeting FFP target, and if Bloom continues to throw money at the club like he is, it is just going to be throwing good money after bad money, and will Tony Bloom business man, do that?

What I saw at the start of the season was a team dominating games and not getting a result.

What I see for the past couple of months is a team struggling for ideas, a team struggling to create good goalscoring chances for their strikers, and a team struggling to hang on to points against the likes of Wigan, Blackpool and Rotherham.

Now if Tony Bloom sees something promising and progessive in what he sees, then fair play to him, its his money he's throwing around and can do what he likes.

A great business man.... absolutely, one of the best

A great football knowledge man..... no chance!

You don't need to know anything about football to be a chairman just look at the top clubs in the country. Its pure buisness, it just happens to be the material in question are points on a table. This is why they hire the best people they can (within budget) to achieve that goal. Tony hires people to achieve a task or possibly mutiple tasks this is where Burkes job remit would come in; if they can't do that or he feels its beyond them i'm sure it works just as any other buisness, they will be replaced.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You don't need to know anything about football to be a chairman just look at the top clubs in the country. Its pure buisness, it just happens to be the material in question are points on a table. This is why they hire the best people they can (within budget) to achieve that goal. Tony hires people to achieve a task or possibly mutiple tasks this is where Burkes job remit would come in; if they can't do that or he feels its beyond them i'm sure it works just as any other buisness, they will be replaced.

Agree, Delia Smith didn't have great football experience but has done a great job at Norwich.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I doubt it, I think he is a very clever business man and they don't tend to let their heart rule their head.

I suspect that he well knows that you can't blame Sami for the abject recruitment of players and that now FFP has been loosened he can spend some money in January more wisely with closer consulation with Sami and everything will once again be rosey in the garden again.

There we have it, an optimistic post. Amazing.
Maybe not but you can certainly blame him for our thoroughly dim-witted tactics which are more to blame than anything for our bad run of form & exhausted, chaotic defence (which the previous campaigns had been built on).

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Crap timing for an interview, as TB is in a no-win situation: he either sits on the fence about the the manager and in turn puts more pressure on him, or says Sami is here to stay and the squad is fine, therefore coming across as completely misjudging the growing discontent amongst what were formerly known as supporters.

All a bit amateur hour really.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Crap timing for an interview, as TB is in a no-win situation: he either sits on the fence about the the manager and in turn puts more pressure on him, or says Sami is here to stay and the squad is fine, therefore coming across as completely misjudging the growing discontent amongst what were formerly known as supporters.

All a bit amateur hour really.

All TB had to do was decline the interview surely

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
TB knows what he's doing. We'll be ok.

:)

One of the first sensible comments on here.

I trust that Tony is closer to the action and in a better position to judge all this than I am.

Or maybe some of the critics on here should be pooling their pocket money and trying to buy him out.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
All TB had to do was decline the interview surely

If he had turned down an interview, people could have read all kinds of nonsense in to that.

Shades of "ashen-faced Ron Knee".

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Who would have known he had been asked?

Whoever asked him - for example a journalist - could have been saying he refused to comment or "was not available", in to which all sorts of things could be read.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Blame Sami for the abject recruitment??? Didn't he say he think we have a squad capable of the play offs. That doesn't for one second suggest he thinks recruitment has been abject.

Lets hope he doesn;t loosen the purse strings to much this season, as we may find ourselves with a transfer embargo next season.

Optimistic post? Blind optimisation I'd say. So, Tony BLoom said we have a good enough sqaud for the play offs, so you think he will throw money at it in January and make us fail FFP. Go and have a sit down in a darken room, and have a long serious word with yourself!

Mostly agree with you, but in the same way TB is supporting Sami, Sami was hardly likely to publicly slate the player recruitment was he..........we simply don't know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here