Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Bloom "GOING" for it?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Wow what a player CMS and huge fee for us to pay out. Are Gus and Bloom going for the promised land of The Premiership or are we paying out these big fees just to tread water? Thoughts:glare:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think he just wants to ensure we are competitive. He hasn't invested all this money in the stadium just to watch us wilt on the pitch. Gus is an ambitious man and if we are to hold on to him we need to prove we are seriously able to compete.

I think it is too early to be talking about the Premiership, after all that costs a SERIOUS amount of money to get involved with, but Bloom obviously has aspirations to see us win more than we lose next season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope we are looking to consolidate with the hope that we'll be good enough to challenge for promotion. The more quality players we sign the better our chances, working along the lines of the old Jack Niklaus (?) cliche " the more I practice, the luckier I get" I expect with the right approach and attitude a challenge will be on the cards.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
Is that a serious question?

Yep, because i thought we would not have a chance to fork out millions for a player like CMS. What would it take to mount a serious challenge for automatic promotion if Bloom was paying aprox 3 million for a player to consolidate a posistion in the championship?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Posted by Icy Gull

I hope we are looking to consolidate with the hope that we'll be good enough to challenge for promotion. The more quality players we sign the better our chances, working along the lines of the old Jack Niklaus (?) cliche " the more I practice, the luckier I get" I expect with the right approach and attitude a challenge will be on the cards.

I think initially that TB/GP would have wished to consodlidate in the Championship but today's signing indicates that perhaps they are intent on progression sooner rather than later.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
We will undoubtedly be contenders for the Premiership within the next 2-3 years.

Get good quality players in ( check ), get the Amex capacity up to 30,000 ( next close season - check) , and then we will have the basis for a SUSTAINABLE push for the top flight.

Need to do it right - really wouldn't want to do a Blackpool and come straight back down.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
CMS was Poyet's No1 target, makes sense for Tony to go the extra mile for him to keep Poyet assured the club is moving the way he wants :)

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
We will undoubtedly be contenders for the Premiership within the next 2-3 years.

Get good quality players in ( check ), get the Amex capacity up to 30,000 ( next close season - check) , and then we will have the basis for a SUSTAINABLE push for the top flight.

Need to do it right - wouldn't want to do a Blackpool and come straight back down.
I think this would be the sensible aproach, but Tony is a gambler by nature and he enjoys the rush.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Need to do it right - really wouldn't want to do a Blackpool and come straight back down.

Why not? As long as expenditure is kept in check, the parachute payments will help fund further team building.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The great thing is that we are having a serious makeover for the second time in two seasons; more so even than this time last year. The team being assembled is looking pacey and strong. Just some defensive cover (full back cover and a centre half) plus KLL needed and it promises to be a cracking starting eleven. What with that wide pitch and pace, expect to see fireworks at the Amex on August 6th. I for one can't wait!

TNBA

TTF

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
TB has one thing in mind, that is to get the Albion into the Premier League, so yes, I guess this, and the £100M stadium are all part of him 'going for it'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Posted by Icy Gull

I think initially that TB/GP would have wished to consodlidate in the Championship but today's signing indicates that perhaps they are intent on progression sooner rather than later.

I'm worried that fans are now expecting us to storm the league. We really do need to consolidate 1st, not many of the current team have had success at this level, nor has the manager or the chairman, we may have things in place but actually getting near the top of this division is gonna be much much harder than topping League One. Consolidate first and build the confidence to push for the top.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The thing that is telling about this signing IMO is not so much that Bloom wanted CMS but more that GUS wanted him and that Bloom wants to keep Gus happy. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I'm worried that fans are now expecting us to storm the league. We really do need to consolidate 1st, not many of the current team have had success at this level, nor has the manager or the chairman, we may have things in place but actually getting near the top of this division is gonna be much much harder than topping League One. Consolidate first and build the confidence to push for the top.

Or use the momentum from last season? Why would anyone deliberately let that go?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I posted as soon as Bloom took over that we now had a very different club. We were always going to spend some serious money this year as Bloom clearly wants this club in the Premiership asap.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
I posted as soon as Bloom took over that we now had a very different club. We were always going to spend some serious money this year as Bloom clearly wants this club in the Premiership asap.

If this is the case and it is a very big IF and we even had a sniff of the EPL our season ticket sales would go through the roof....................oh they have.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Gus will have the same objective as last season - finish in the top six.

TB and Gus are winners and they won't settle for mediocrity or consolidation - only losers do that. Aim high and see where that takes us. We may get to the Premiership at the end of next season; we may not. But hey, lets go for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here