Is Bloom "GOING" for it?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The CCC is not something you can breeze through
Obviously. We're pleased that we should be in a position to fight for the top half of the table, rather than fighting relegation. No one thinks we're going to breeze through it.

Making these signings is very impressive, I take my hat off to you, but keep your eye on the bank balance because sooner or later it'll bite you on the ar5e.
What are we supposed to do with that advice? We don't get a say in the spending, we don't get asked our opinions, we don't vote on it. And I don't think Tony will be reading this thread. I also don't think he needs to be told to keep his eye on the bank balance, he hasn't got where he his without understanding finance.

Good luck to Argyle though, not many no more than us how bad it is to see your club in trouble.

Beachbum71

Beachbum71
Apr 15, 2011
Shoreham beach
Tony Bloom is a professional gambler and businessman. He knows that A. You have to speculate to accumulate and B. You have to give customers value for money. I'm positive that he knows exactly what to spend and where to spend it. Exciting play on the pitch leads to excitiment in those beautiful new stands. The sooner Premiership football comes to the Amex, the more dosh in the kitty. No half-measures with BHA from now on.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Tony Bloom is a professional gambler and businessman. He knows that A. You have to speculate to accumulate and B. You have to give customers value for money. I'm positive that he knows exactly what to spend and where to spend it. Exciting play on the pitch leads to excitiment in those beautiful new stands. The sooner Premiership football comes to the Amex, the more dosh in the kitty. No half-measures with BHA from now on.

That kind of attitude worries me, makes me think of Palace, Cardiff, Southampton, Leeds and the rest of the admin crew. The spending this year is to try to guarantee a full stadium in 2012/13 and the only way that will happen is if we are not getting beaten week in week out. Of course a side effect of regually winning is you move up the table and after a top 10 finish this season the extra 4 players needed can be brought in to complete the puzzle. So far the cash spent is the extra gate, tv, prize and expected increase in merchandise. We have to stay self funding else we will be back in the crap we got into in the 90s.

Of course nobody is going to object if we get lucky and manage to go up this season. If we are challenging in January I fully expect a little punt from TB to get a couple of players but Im happy for mid table/playoff push this year

Last edited:

Beachbum71

Beachbum71
Apr 15, 2011
Shoreham beach
That kind of attitude worries me, makes me think of Palace, Cardiff, Southampton, Leeds and the rest of the admin crew. The spending this year is to try to guarantee a full stadium in 2012/13 and the only way that will happen is if we are not getting beaten week in week out. Of course a side effect of regually winning is you move up the table and after a top 10 finish this season the extra 4 players needed can be brought in to complete the puzzle. So far the cash spent is the extra gate, tv, prize and expected increase in merchandise. We have to stay self funding else we will be back in the crap we got into in the 90s.
Of course nobody is going to object if we get lucky and manage to go up this season. If we are challenging in January I fully expect a little punt from TB to get a couple of players but Im happy for mid table/playoff push this year
It was a bold move by the club to land CMS and look at the excitement it has generated to the public, bookies etc., It is this positive attitude by BHA that will see us only prosper in the future.

X Isle

Mar 6, 2011
Worthing

That's a much more pragmatic approach Gary and one the majority should stick with.

All this "speculate to accumulate" nonsense defies the laws of economics, the most successfuul businessmen in the world are not the "balls out" throw money at it and damn the consequences brigade, they are the quiet, pragmatic, sensible "slowly slowly catchy monkey" typres.

All you accumulate by speculation is debt, unless that speculation guarentees a reciprocal suprlus dividend, but in football NOTHING is guarenteed at all. It sounds boring but you need to add up gate income, TV money (which isn't ALL that - with wages your total seasons TV share won't have even covered CMS!) and commercial revenue and only spend beyond that figure money you can AFFORD to lose.

I too won't object if you "get away with it" Gary, good luck to you but you have to accept that's what it'll be. Like any gamble for every winner there are losers. If you donm't "get away with it" the pressure mounts next season to "go for it" a bit more, before you know it you're looking at a massive debt.

In 2008 our chairman and Paul Sturrock indicated we wouldn't have to sell any of our better players. We'd accumulated quite a good CCC squad actually, not through big headline purchases like you have but through prudent and canny dealing, we'd skirted with the play-offs we'd reached the FA cup QF. But because of success players agents heads were being turned by clubs who could offer biger wages (the parachute payment cartel) we were being quoted silly prices for players we wanted to buy and wage costs began to outstrip income, alarmingly. Things were good, but not good enough for fans who continued to bang beachbum71's "no half measures" drum. A tipping point was reached.

We ended up selling nearly £7,000,000 worth of talent and STILL found ourselves witrh debts estimated now at £17,000,000. That's nearly £25,000,000 of liabilities. Now I defy any of you but for the very football literate to name more than three of our best players of that era, the one's whose wages (not high compared to the parachute payement cartel) tipped us over the edge, and we didn't have a big squad either. They were not the Craig Mackail-Smiths of this world at all, they were not household names at all but still the cumulative effect of wages outstripping income tipped things over the edge. We're a similar sized club to you, our gates were upper teens to 20,000. Look at us now, it's a nightmare.

You have a great stadium, you'll no doubt fill it. You'll sell lots of shirts/merchandise and you'll have around £3m TV income. But that's it. You've already spent the TV money but the wages of new signings, agents fees and contract renewals will now cost you a small fortune. It's all added costs you won't see in the headline signing fee. Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday are huge clubs compared to ours and they are not immune from simple economic forces.

Don't fall into the trap of "it couldn't happen to us", we were saying that five years ago. Ride your bubble, enjoy it, but bubbles don't rise forever and the crash can sometimes be equally spectacular. Keep a close eye on the purse strings and be careful what you wish for............you don't always get it.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
That's a much more pragmatic approach Gary and one the majority should stick with.

All this "speculate to accumulate" nonsense defies the laws of economics, the most successfuul businessmen in the world are not the "balls out" throw money at it and damn the consequences brigade, they are the quiet, pragmatic, sensible "slowly slowly catchy monkey" typres.

All you accumulate by speculation is debt, unless that speculation guarentees a reciprocal suprlus dividend, but in football NOTHING is guarenteed at all. It sounds boring but you need to add up gate income, TV money (which isn't ALL that - with wages your total seasons TV share won't have even covered CMS!) and commercial revenue and only spend beyond that figure money you can AFFORD to lose.

I too won't object if you "get away with it" Gary, good luck to you but you have to accept that's what it'll be. Like any gamble for every winner there are losers. If you donm't "get away with it" the pressure mounts next season to "go for it" a bit more, before you know it you're looking at a massive debt.

In 2008 our chairman and Paul Sturrock indicated we wouldn't have to sell any of our better players. We'd accumulated quite a good CCC squad actually, not through big headline purchases like you have but through prudent and canny dealing, we'd skirted with the play-offs we'd reached the FA cup QF. But because of success players agents heads were being turned by clubs who could offer biger wages (the parachute payment cartel) we were being quoted silly prices for players we wanted to buy and wage costs began to outstrip income, alarmingly. Things were good, but not good enough for fans who continued to bang beachbum71's "no half measures" drum. A tipping point was reached.

We ended up selling nearly £7,000,000 worth of talent and STILL found ourselves witrh debts estimated now at £17,000,000. That's nearly £25,000,000 of liabilities. Now I defy any of you but for the very football literate to name more than three of our best players of that era, the one's whose wages (not high compared to the parachute payement cartel) tipped us over the edge, and we didn't have a big squad either. They were not the Craig Mackail-Smiths of this world at all, they were not household names at all but still the cumulative effect of wages outstripping income tipped things over the edge. We're a similar sized club to you, our gates were upper teens to 20,000. Look at us now, it's a nightmare.

You have a great stadium, you'll no doubt fill it. You'll sell lots of shirts/merchandise and you'll have around £3m TV income. But that's it. You've already spent the TV money but the wages of new signings, agents fees and contract renewals will now cost you a small fortune. It's all added costs you won't see in the headline signing fee. Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday are huge clubs compared to ours and they are not immune from simple economic forces.

Don't fall into the trap of "it couldn't happen to us", we were saying that five years ago. Ride your bubble, enjoy it, but bubbles don't rise forever and the crash can sometimes be equally spectacular. Keep a close eye on the purse strings and be careful what you wish for............you don't always get it.

Good post and comments. I think with Bloom it is slightly different. 3 generations of family support and prepared to bank roll the club with his own cash. Self financing is all very well, but i guess there aren't many who really do. I will settle for mid table, but with Gus in charge who knows.. anything could happen. Once all the signings for the squad have been made we will have a better chance to speculate. On the subject of salaries i see Mackail Smith was offered more cash by WHU, i have no idea what his salary is, but over 4 years i think we are getting a good deal. Income from the stadium being used 7 days a week is an unknown. The facilities are so good, thgat many companies will be paying for the priveledge for conferences etc. It was mentioned on a tour recently, that a large company had booked 2,500 spaces in hospitality for their 3 day conference for the next 5 years. I expect that is a serious wedge. Just one example of income that is additonal to what the football club can generate.
Bloom is a very astute business man, he will have invested probably £150m with players, staduim, training ground etc, nobody knows his true worth. I have faith that he will guide us wisely in the years to come. Lets just enjoy and cut out the negativity.

X Isle

Mar 6, 2011
Worthing
If he's genuinely prepared to bankroll the debts then that's his perogative and good luck to him. Just being your voice of reason, the ghost of Christmas future if you will. It's not negativity, you're not my club so I owe you nothing, advice costs nothing, ignoring it mightcost a lot.

Anyway, it's hard not to be negative when you've been through what we're going through.............oh but no, you have :wink:.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports