Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Bloom "GOING" for it?

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
I hope we are looking to consolidate with the hope that we'll be good enough to challenge for promotion. The more quality players we sign the better our chances, working along the lines of the old Jack Niklaus (?) cliche " the more I practice, the luckier I get" I expect with the right approach and attitude a challenge will be on the cards.

Spot on I hope for us to be challenging for a play off place, would be awesome.. by the way that quote was from Gary Player not jack

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
The thing that is telling about this signing IMO is not so much that Bloom wanted CMS but more that GUS wanted him and that Bloom wants to keep Gus happy. :thumbsup:

And Gus with his influential charms and the backing of Our Chairman have nailed this deal. The intrigue is who are the other 2 major players as highlighted on this board likely to be ?? I'm sure on behalf of all Seagulls fans, may I salute you both on a major coup !

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I think TB is a very astute man. No point in doing this in half measures? if you have the capital to sensibly build this club up to its natural level then your investment is safe. It needed someone with passion, clout and the vision to see it through and that is what we now have. With this ingredient this town can support a decent PL club (look at Fulham who are celebrating 10 years in it). This project will self finance itself in a few years, the stadium, the academy and the people Tony is employing will ensure generations of people will enjoy and love Brighton and Hove Albion.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I think he just wants to ensure we are competitive. He hasn't invested all this money in the stadium just to watch us wilt on the pitch. Gus is an ambitious man and if we are to hold on to him we need to prove we are seriously able to compete.

I think it is too early to be talking about the Premiership, after all that costs a SERIOUS amount of money to get involved with, but Bloom obviously has aspirations to see us win more than we lose next season
I agree,an extra 5m spent on the team to at least ensure we stay in the league is sound business .Now we have the stadium,championship football,will maintain the intrest,giving larger crowds,and a greater uptake of corporate patronage.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Bloom wouldn't have been able to persuade CMS to join us unless he was able to convince him we had a good chance of promotion. Bloom definitely has a 1 year plan, and he wants the right people in his team to achieve it.

I love how people say this, but we dont actually have a clue. We talk of plans and deals which we believe happen... maybe its far less formal and bloom has given poyet a budget which is spending and maybe he found CMS available and asked Bloom for more money which he said yes to ... no massive plan or anything about promotion because so much is uncertain.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I love how people say this, but we dont actually have a clue. We talk of plans and deals which we believe happen... maybe its far less formal and bloom has given poyet a budget which is spending and maybe he found CMS available and asked Bloom for more money which he said yes to ... no massive plan or anything about promotion because so much is uncertain.

Believe. There is a plan! Premiership is the target, the stadium costs will be recouped in an instant. (£90 million revenue guaranteed). Not all of that will go back to Tony though as consolidation will be the key and if the plan succeeds, each extra year in the Premiership will guarantee tens of millions of pounds in extra income. as said, there is a plan. :)

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
The championship probably has 16 clubs who are preparing for the season thinking they have a chance of promotion.
Of course I want us to be one of them but I also want us to be self sufficient living to our means.

The signing of cms is a great coup but what convinced him to sign for us over leicester who have been very active this pre -season, it must have been either wages or first team football.

There seem to be a lot of big name teams in the championship who are not living to their means,I don't want us to become one of them.
Yes I want us to be successful but I also want a team that is self financing.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

As we will be. Tony Bloom has consistently said just that.

Don't forget the stadium is going to be active virtually every day of the year bringing in revenue streams, like conferences, fine dining, club mega store etc etc

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Believe. There is a plan! Premiership is the target, the stadium costs will be recouped in an instant. (£90 million revenue guaranteed). Not all of that will go back to Tony though as consolidation will be the key and if the plan succeeds, each extra year in the Premiership will guarantee tens of millions of pounds in extra income. as said, there is a plan. :)

As we will be. Tony Bloom has consistently said just that.

Don't forget the stadium is going to be active virtually every day of the year bringing in revenue streams, like conferences, fine dining, club mega store etc etc

Liking your positivity, but you've worded that like it's £90m without any costs...and as many teams have seen, that £90m sure goes quick when you have to buy new players.

Stadium active virtually every day - Even the recently announced restaurant is only open on Saturdays, and what 5 concerts a year? I can't count a few replica top sales as being an 'Active' stadium.

Interestingly, and contrary to the earlier stated 1 year plan, Sam Matterface said tonight there is a two year plan in place for us.

IMO, Today (Monday) was great day, but realistically, we need a year to get our heads around how to deal with the Champ.
:)

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Is Bloom going for it? Yes he certainly is. The Posh chairman said something along these lines when we persuaded CMS to join. Bloom knows all about risk and about when it's the right time to go for it - remember he once advised Victor Chandler to put all his World Cup winnings on France beating Brazil in the final.

I'm sure he's sized up the opposition and reckons that the teams coming down will have their own issues and are unlikely to 'do a Newcastle'. The teams left from last year are not going to be much stronger (possibly with the exception of Leicester) and we'll be in with a real shout if we can strengthen in a few key areas. He probably sees this as a superb chance to get to the Prem on the back of the excitement from our new stadium and without massively overspending. I expect that he also trusts Gus's assessment of the players he wants and how to build a side to get us there. This isn't a mad gamble by a chairman with his heart ruling his head but a calculated investment - in much the same way that building The Amex was.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
An application for the seats and training ground will be submitted before the end of the year, we need a decent season in the Championship to retain interest and therefore we need to sign some quality. Simple.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
An application for the seats and training ground will be submitted before the end of the year, we need a decent season in the Championship to retain interest and therefore we need to sign some quality. Simple.

They are two seperate applications, the seats goes to Brighton & Hove whilst the training ground will be submitted to Adur. I believe that we may see the application for additional caapacity being submitted well in advance of the end of the year. I seem to remember hearing that the club already have the application for additional seating ready and are just holding back to see if there are any major hurdles to overcome once a handful of capacity games have taken place.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Planned investment for a bright future for our beloved club and a well-deserved return for Tony in the promised land.

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
The championship probably has 16 clubs who are preparing for the season thinking they have a chance of promotion.
Of course I want us to be one of them but I also want us to be self sufficient living to our means.

The signing of cms is a great coup but what convinced him to sign for us over leicester who have been very active this pre -season, it must have been either wages or first team football.

There seem to be a lot of big name teams in the championship who are not living to their means,I don't want us to become one of them.

This, this and this.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Obviously it is impossible to tell how we will do next season, because you never know how new players will bed in and settle etc. I would hope that we are aiming for top half with a more concerted push for promotion the year after. It is easy to get carried away as it seems we are in a perpetual state of perfection as a club with everything that's been going on, but we need to keep grounded. Next season will be hard.

X Isle

Mar 6, 2011
Worthing
Wow what a player CMS and huge fee for us to pay out. Are Gus and Bloom going for the promised land of The Premiership or are we paying out these big fees just to tread water? Thoughts:glare:

First, second and third thoughts having been there............

BEWARE THE OVERSPEND!!!

I appreciate and understand why it's tempting to "go for it" on the back of the promotion bounce, on the back of the new stadium bounce. But, we found a small overspend quickly becomes a big one so if you START with a big one it'll only turn into a massive one.

Blackpool and Hull are the only one's who got lucky and gambled themselves into the play-offs but usually the 'parachute payment' cartel take first pick of the promotion places. It's as uneven a playing field as the premiership is.

The CCC is not something you can breeze through, Craig Mackail Smith is a good striker but at CCC he's not a great one (i've watched him there, many times). Making these signings is very impressive, I take my hat off to you, but keep your eye on the bank balance because sooner or later it'll bite you on the ar5e.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here