Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is a 2nd referendum a genuine possibility?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
No even though I am completely depressed about the result I have to accept my side lost. It would be good to see some of those on here who supported the Leave side show a bit of humility and acknowledge how divided the UK is.

This. One thing that i've heard repeatedly is the 'we won, get over it' stance - people are entitled to be upset with the result as it's a deeply divisive issue. Some have been magnanimous with their victory, others have been childish and with a huge bravado, possibly compensating for something lacking in their lives. I wish there were more of the former.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I don't know how linking an article about a man who isn't even a member of parliament has any relevance to the question I asked?

Are you making a point about hypocrisy? If remain had won i'm almost entirely sure I wouldn't be pissing and moaning about it, signing petitions and saying the result wasn't a reflection of a democratic decision by the people.

Screenshot from 2016-06-25 22:09:11.png

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
This. One thing that i've heard repeatedly is the 'we won, get over it' stance - people are entitled to be upset with the result as it's a deeply divisive issue. Some have been magnanimous with their victory, others have been childish and with a huge bravado, possibly compensating for something lacking in their lives. I wish there were more of the former.

I agree totally. I feel the problem has been, and this is nationally in general and not yourself, the implication that a large amount of LEAVE voters were ignorant of their cause and now regret it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

It works both ways.....remain say the world will end and we are racist uneducated and self centred Sun reading council estate dwellers that seem unable to grasp grammar.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I agree totally. I feel the problem has been, and this is nationally in general and not yourself, the implication that a large amount of LEAVE voters were ignorant of their cause and now regret it.

Both sides are guilty of it and i'll admit I was too - the leavers acting like children winning the school sports day and the remainers acting like spoilt brats. It's the actions of a few that have tarred the actions of an entire side.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It works both ways.....remain say the world will end and we are racist uneducated and self centred Sun reading council estate dwellers that seem unable to grasp grammar.

You need a comma or two in there :wink:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You need a comma or two in there :wink:

this is a net chat forum not a book...

Ok here we go-

It can work both ways-Remain will say the world may end,that we are racist,uneducated and self centered.They go further and claim we are 'Sun' reading council estate dwellers that have NO grasp of grammar...

Any good? Ps I don't do Grammar..

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
this is a net chat forum not a book...

Ok here we go-

It can work both ways-Remain will say the world may end,that we are racist,uneducated and self centered.They go further and claim we are 'Sun' reading council estate dwellers that have NO grasp of grammar...

Any good? Ps I don't do Grammar..

Or sarcasm for that matter. It was meant to be light hearted...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Or sarcasm for that matter. It was meant to be light hearted...

I took it that way,how was my effort btw? if I was offended i'd have said so....

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not quite. He (UKIP) still has a role to play to stop any backsliding on commitments made by the big beast Tory Brexiteers during the campaign.
'Commitments' they had no power or mandate to fulfill ( beyond the referendum question of leaving the EU ).

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
And bring into play his one MP, who hardly ever agrees with him

This is tiresome, what is the remainers aim here Lawro? Discredit and disrupt or full on overturning democracy? Come on you remainers, which is it? Are you just agitating or wanting what you haven't achieved. Pathetic

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
And bring into play his one MP, who hardly ever agrees with him

Yes I know quite an achievement to have a major split in the parliamentary party when you only have one MP. :D

No I mean't Farage via the media and of course having UKIP continuing will give voters an alternative electoral route to punish any future betrayal by Tory Brexiteers which should concentrate a few minds.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I'm dyed in the wool remain, and agree totally with your comment.

I have signed the petition, mainly because of the comments I have seen from people who voted Brexit as a protest, but didn't expect it to happen, didn't vote because they thought the result was safe, so now are asking if they can, voted Brexit without, at their own admission, really realising what they were doing or are wanting to change their vote now that previous promises are being, as they see it, reneged.

For the most part, though, those people should have known better at best, or at worst were just plain stupid, so I don't expect a rerun, and doubt if there would be unless something seismic happens or comes to light.

What's done is done and just get on with it.

..... And I have never called anyone a Little Englander.

I agree.

On one hand the margin of victory was much greater than I think most leave supporters would have ever hoped, and yet whilst a 1.6m difference between the 2 sides is a genuinely significant difference, overall it is a fact that 48% of the electorate have been left marginalised.

The leave side would do well to appreciate this point, and not least because in the immediate future to move forward this country will need to heal itself. To that extent whilst Farage deserves his moment in the sun he has achieved his goal and he should exit stage left (or right) to not revel in victory and deepen the evident divide.

That said, the remain side who would in ordinarily extol British virtues of tolerance, democracy and the rule of law should also come to terms with this democratic result with dignity. This country has faced far worse challenges than Brexit and it has prevailed. If the people who voted in or out really do love this country, and trust its people (whatever background) we will be able to create a bright future for our children.

To quote our ex-EU Commissioner, "what is done cannot be undone" so that is it...........if you don't like it you can leave, let us who want to move this great country forward do so without impediment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here