Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is a 2nd referendum a genuine possibility?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
the problem with this and the Guardian comment, is that it rest on some considerable assumptions. not least that Boris did all this soley to take over the role of PM, one his is not suited to given his maverick nature. he is suited to having some power but not responsibility, like London mayor. the whole piece only makes sense if Boris and Gove didnt really want to leave, that they campaigned for a cause they didnt actually want. seems a bit incredible.

i do think they may not have believed they would win as the polls even when prdicting a leave win had as much as 15% or so undecided so werent very comfortable leads. so they've been caught by surprise and hadnt really considered the actions required in the following week. they probably expected Cameron to at least stay around until there was a call for him to leave, again unsettleing peoples calculations. Cameron hasnt made played a cunning strategy in announcing to resign either, he's on type doing the honorable thing. recall the lost vote over Syria, he didnt actually need parliament vote to send in the RAF, but honored the descision. he simply doesnt want to do something he's argued he didnt want to do.

You are ignoring Johnsons huge ego, and public schoolboy sense of superiority. He also didn't expect to win, or come anywhere close, but as a gallant loser, he would have helped Cameron restore Tory party unity, and become the darling of the party. Acshoo in for Cameronscjob when he finally quits, and a public referendum defeat to put the Tory party eurosceptics to bed.

Job done

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I may be wrong but I think if there are over 100k signatories then it has to be debated in Parliament.

In past experience it's not going to be debated for very long. It's a fool's errand.

Maybe i'm being harsh and should just let this all calm down, 2 days is not a long time for acceptance I grant you.

I still haven't accepted the middlesbrough game so I can hardly talk.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If the referendum had gone the other way there would actually be more cause for complaint, since it was predominantly London and Scotland against the rest of the country.

Why should one side's 'complaint' be more or less legitimate than the other?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is that really the best you can do. Remain so up themselves and you've just proved it

Yes. You are right. I live in Hove not Ghetto Portslade. You're getting better with 33.33% (recurring) punctuation. One full stop correct, one missing and a question mark gone AWOL. Keep at it you're nearly there. :clap:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don't know how linking an article about a man who isn't even a member of parliament has any relevance to the question I asked?

Are you making a point about hypocrisy? If remain had won i'm almost entirely sure I wouldn't be pissing and moaning about it, signing petitions and saying the result wasn't a reflection of a democratic decision by the people.

You may not, but a lot of your brethren would,hence the Farage article

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yes. You are right. I live in Hove not Ghetto Portslade. You're getting better with 33.33% (recurring) punctuation. One full stop correct, one missing and a question mark gone AWOL. Keep at it you're nearly there. :clap:

Well I'm glad for you. Well done I'll carry on making the mistakes for you so you can feel that Mutch bettre

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Do you really think Farage would have succeeded. If you were being honest you know the answer

He wouldn't have given up his fight to have The UK leave The EU, he said as much on Thursday night before the result was known. Plenty of others wouldn't have either.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
He wouldn't have given up his fight to have The UK leave the EU, he said as much on Thursday night before the result was known. Plenty of others wouldn't have either.

Yes but that wasn't the question. Would he have succeeded in getting a 2nd referendum again I think you know what the answer would be

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No even though I am completely depressed about the result I have to accept my side lost. It would be good to see some of those on here who supported the Leave side show a bit of humility and acknowledge how divided the UK is.

I'm dyed in the wool remain, and agree totally with your comment.

I have signed the petition, mainly because of the comments I have seen from people who voted Brexit as a protest, but didn't expect it to happen, didn't vote because they thought the result was safe, so now are asking if they can, voted Brexit without, at their own admission, really realising what they were doing or are wanting to change their vote now that previous promises are being, as they see it, reneged.

For the most part, though, those people should have known better at best, or at worst were just plain stupid, so I don't expect a rerun, and doubt if there would be unless something seismic happens or comes to light.

What's done is done and just get on with it.

..... And I have never called anyone a Little Englander.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Well I'm glad for you. Well done I'll carry on making the mistakes for you so you can feel that Mutch bettre

The [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] is gestapo grammar police from the EU...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If we negotiated a better deal with the EU, we could argue that our relationship has significantly changed since the referendum, and parliament could agree to remain. Unlikely, but possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here