spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Pere Ubu – Dub Housing

Released: 1978
Label: Chrysalis Records
For Fans Of: Devo, The Fall, Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band, Pixies
Reccomended Tracks: Caligari’s Mirror, Ubu Dance Party, Navvy

The history of punk is oft debated but what is fundamentally clear is that our trans-Atlantic cousins were always at least half a decade ahead of the game. The Monks, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges and Mc5 were tearing the rule book up as the 60’s turned into the 70’s nearly a full decade before The Pistols aural assault. When the Sex Pistols released their Uk changing Never Mind the Bollocks in 1977, America had already moved into post-punk/ no wave territory, predominantly involving the main players in the CBGB’s New York scene such as Modern Lovers, Television, Patti Smith and Talking Heads. However, it wasn’t just New York that was engaging with the possibility of new DIY sounds as proved by Cleveland, Ohio’s Rocket From The Tombs who in 1975 would prove the foundation stone for Pere Ubu’s creation.

In much the same way as Wire did with Pink Flag, Ubu needed a record – debut album The Modern Dance – to rid them of their full on punk tendencies and encourage them down a line of experimentation they are still on today. Dub Housing released in 1978 is darker and more difficult than it’s predecessor, hell, it’s wilfully obtuse at times but for all the dissonance and bleeping synths, it’s a rock record stuffed full of hooks as well as front man David Thomas’s irresistibly Beefheartian stream of consiouness rants. The album sold nothing and sank without trace but it’s influence on a multitude of future acts such as Public Image Limited and The Pixies is totally undeniable.

Front-man David Thomas now lives in Hove and used to be often found in the Neptune pub.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Didn't know that. I like to think of Nick Cave and him living in some sort of dark and gothic Stella Street

Not quite Cave but at a Swans gig at the Concorde last year, I saw him and Michael Gira having a natter. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall there.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I have it on black dbl vinyl, clear dbl vinyl, purple dbl vinyl (and have heard of it on brown dbl vinyl, which I presume is a mispress formed of the purple and clear mixed together when a drum wasn't cleaned properly on the changeover?), English CD, Japanese CD with obi and two extra tracks, US promo CD and UK six track sampler...

I like it a LOT :)

1997's The Dandy Warhols Come Down...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Awaits flaming from The Fall fans!

Good call and would put it up their with the very best Fall albums.

If I was to choose one myself it would probably be Perverted By Language and the track I would force down anyones ear is Eat Yourself Fitter. Second choice This Nations Saving Grace and in third Bend Sinister.
This video is brilliant- typical 80's fodder.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I Like Trains; Elegies to Lessons Learnt

A very reflective album focussing on lesser known flashpoints from world history, from Scott's failed mission to the South Pole, the assassination of English Prime Minister Spencer Percival, the insanity of Bobby Fischer and the destruction of the rail network by Beeching.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

A very reflective album focussing on lesser known flashpoints from world history, from Scott's failed mission to the South Pole, the assassination of English Prime Minister Spencer Percival, the insanity of Bobby Fischer and the destruction of the rail network by Beeching

I love iLT - but aren't you mixing up the first mini-album ('Progress Reform') with Elegies? The first one has Terra Nova, the Beeching Report and Rook House for Bobby on. I find Elegies their must difficult album to get into. Best of there's imho, apart from PR, is 'He Who Saw The Deep'.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I love iLT - but aren't you mixing up the first mini-album ('Progress Reform') with Elegies? The first one has Terra Nova, the Beeching Report and Rook House for Bobby on. I find Elegies their must difficult album to get into. Best of there's imho, apart from PR, is 'He Who Saw The Deep'.

You're 100% correct, mixed them up terribly there.

I love Elegies though, I part funded it through crowdsourcing and was allowed to be a roadie for one of the gigs, going out for a meal beforehand with the lads, all of whom are splendid chaps. The only time they ever made money was when Sea of Regrets (which I think is one of their best) was used on CSI Miami for the closing credits.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

A very reflective album focussing on lesser known flashpoints from world history, from Scott's failed mission to the South Pole, the assassination of English Prime Minister Spencer Percival, the insanity of Bobby Fischer and the destruction of the rail network by Beeching.

Progress Reform was on my list as well. Brilliant

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
'Do You Know How to Waltz?' is marvellous. I think that Secret Name is their best album, not that I've heard it for yonks: one of those albums I foolishly leant out. I also don't know why Mimi doesn't sing more for them.

I've seen Low a couple of times, and am awestruck by them. Will check out both these albums, thanks chaps.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Chameleons: Script of the Bridge

Burgess is a great songwriter, they remain Manchester's forgotten great band

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports