Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Introduce a Personal Favourite Album of Yours

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Hal by Hal.
Not sure what happened to this lot but think this is a hidden gem.
Album CD £1.98 (new) £1.26 (used) on Amazon now. It's a no brainer.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Some others:
Neil Young -- Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, the last track 'Cowgirl in the Sand' is him at his best
Thanks to Kitty Empire's review today on this: Violent Femmes -- Violent Femmes and Hallowed Ground
and, just for a laugh, The Cult -- Electric

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree with that. It's a completely stupid album, but there's a very big place for stupidity in rock 'n' roll. It's my boy's current favourite album too.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Michael Quatro In collaboration with the Gods I am sure this is crass and shallow, probably very poor musically but it is one of those things that I love.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Some others:
Neil Young -- Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, the last track 'Cowgirl in the Sand' is him at his best
Thanks to Kitty Empire's review today on this: Violent Femmes -- Violent Femmes and Hallowed Ground
and, just for a laugh, The Cult -- Electric

Yep. This was on my short list too. Their best in my view and not a weak track on it.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne...and the bands two offshoots after they split up
Son Volt - Trace
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Wonderful stuff

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Sleater Kinney – The Woods

Released: 2005
Label: Sub Pop
For Fans Of: Bikini Kill, L7, Hole, Nirvana, Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
Reccomended Tracks: Entertainment, Rollercoaster, Long Time For Love/Night Light

Very few artists leave us on the frustrating high of producing their most commercially successful and critically acclaimed album but that is exactly what all girl three-piece Sleater Kinney did with their final album The Woods one of the finest albums produced by rock bands of either gender in the naughties. It’s now left as a tease of where this outrageously talented outfit could have gone.

Formed in 1994 by Carrie Brownstein (currently starring in ace American comedy Portlandia) and Corin Tucker - both of whom had paid their dues in various Riot Grrrl outfits orbiting Kathleen Hanna’s game changing group Bikini Kill – the band had slowly moved away from their Olympia, Washington punk roots to a sound closer to Sonic Youth at their commercial peak across their 6 previous albums. However, despite this ongoing evolution, The Woods was a step further than anyone would have anticipated.

Featuring an ear-breakingly big production courtesy of Flaming Lips, Mogwai and future Tame Impala producer Dave Fridmann it’s one of those rare records that manages to sound comparatively mainstream whilst not abandoning the band’s previous ideals. It’s hard to work out who or what is the star. Janet Weiss, now Stephen Malkmus’s drummer of choice, is super humanly powerful behind the drum kit, Brownstein and Tucker’s guitars riff and snake around each other like they’re telepathic and as always with Sleater-Kinney the juxtaposition of Tucker’s Tina Turner-esque howl and Brownstein’s detached, childlike, sneer is a joy to behold. The left-leaning feminist lyrics are typical of their output, bullish and outspoken, yet at times heart-breakingly tender especially on the ironic-yet-vulnerable Brownstein-fronted 'Modern Girl.'

Critically adored and peaking at number 80 in the Billboard chart the album was far from a failure but deserved to reach a far greater level of mainstream acceptance. Sleater-Kinney really could have been the new Nirvana.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The Longpigs - Mobile Home.

Just the sort of beautifully poignant indie you would expect from a band that were in the process of destroying themselves with hard drugs and hatred.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
http://www.last.fm/music/Joe+Walsh/Barnstorm

Thought of this thread because I have just been reminded of Barnstorm by Joe Walsh.
First released in 1972 and a minor classic, in my view. Better than any of his subsequent solo albums, and much better than anything he did with the eagles, of whom I have never been a great fan anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here