Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Introduce a Personal Favourite Album of Yours

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
The Crack by The Ruts. Massively underrated punk band who were destined for great things until singer Malcolm Owen died of drugs overdose in 1980. In a similar vein to the Clash at the time of London Calling, pulled on reggae, Hendrix, The Clash, psychedelia and two tone and were apparently incredible live.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Someone to Drive You Home by The Long Blondes

Art rock at its very best. Every single track is superb but "Giddy Stratospheres" will be your best introduction. I seem to remember @<a href="http://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=14921" target="_blank">spring hall convert</a> mentioning he'd met the singer too, lucky boy.

I would crawl over broken glass just to stick pins in Kate Jackson's poo...

Going with the Noughties art rock theme, I'll go with:

The Rakes - Capture/Release.

Stand out tracks - Retreat, Binary Love, Strasbourg.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
A humdinger from 1998. James Lavelle and DJ Shadow.

Unkle - Psyence Fiction

Standouts: Bloodstain (especially if you're partial to a bit of Portishead), Lonely Soul, Rabbit in Your Headlights.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I think fair to say it's a much over-looked album, yes. Is it usually mentioned in top 5-10? No it's not. If you look at the those top 10/100 albums of all time lists, it actually appears very infrequently. One mention by NME but in others, doesn't even make the top 100.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=8
http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/nme-staff-pick-their-top-10-greatest-albums-of-all-time
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=8&f=&fv=&orderby=Rank&sortdir=asc&page=1
http://www.besteveralbums.com/topratedstats.php?o=album

Furrymuff. Actually I think I was going by the forementioned NME best album ever list so please accept my apologies. I saw Arthur Lee at the C2 a year or so before his death. A great show (and a ****ing great album).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Love threads like this - always find some interesting recommendations

Mine is an album from the 70s: American Gothic by David Ackles. He made three albums, all of which are decent but American Gothic is absolutely standout. It's a collection of songs in a multitude of musical styles culminating in the 10-minute long Montana Song, which sounds like something Aaron Copland could have written. Ackles achieved no commercial success, ended up as a private detective I believe, and died young but in an era of singer-songwriters, he was one of the best.

I've been playing this album for 40 years and I still love it.

[yt]sS0bP7qAxsY[/yt]

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No 4.

The Fall - Your Future, Our Clutter

Released: 2010
Label: Domino
For Fans Of: The Fall, Pere Ubu, Wire
Reccomended Tracks: O.F.Y.C Showcase, Bury Parts 1+3 and Cowboy George.

Ask most Fall fans and they'll generally tell you one of two things about their favourite Fall album, either it’s "the last one" or something from their incomparably brilliant run from Grotesque (1980) to Bend Sinister (1986), which is widely as acknowledged as the first classic period of The Fall. It's easily argued that 93-94 was an excellent period, as well as 97-2000. However, this record, their 28th studio album comes at the tail end of their most recent and possibly final classic period (2005-2010.) In short, this may well be the last brilliant record The Fall ever do.

Far apart from the turmoil usually surrounding the band due to Mark E Smith habit of picking up and dropping musicians more often than he changes his underwear, this record was released in the midst of the greatest period of stability in The Fall's long history (this line up even survives to this day) and it shows. Released on heavyweight independent label Domino Records, the label's refusal to release what they deemed to be an inferior, rushed product is documented on the track 'Bury Parts 1+3' in the lyric "A new way of recording, A chain round the neck." Somehow, the frustration surrounding this, drove the band to a late career high.

Describing The Fall to the unitiated is a thankless task but beyond any doubt their genetic code has seeped into post-punk/ alternative-rock as if by osmosis,Franz Ferdinand and Arctic Monkeys being prime examples of bands that may not name The Fall as an influence but are clearly Fall influenced. This album has all the constituent parts that make them at their best, untouchable. Smith is at his truculent best vocally and lyrically, his punk sneer rallies hard to his grumpy old man stereotype. The band are diamond-cutter sharp with the fat from 2008’s promising Imperial Wax Solvent removed and a production job so sharp, it hasn’t been bettered in their nearly 40 year history. It has the feeling of a punchdrunk boxer delivering a knockout blow in the final round of their final fight – all defiant and naively unapologetic.

I propose that this is the album I’d play someone who has never heard the Fall before.

Awaits flaming from The Fall fans!

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Love threads like this - always find some interesting recommendations

Mine is an album from the 70s: American Gothic by David Ackles. He made three albums, all of which are decent but American Gothic is absolutely standout. It's a collection of songs in a multitude of musical styles culminating in the 10-minute long Montana Song, which sounds like something Aaron Copland could have written. Ackles achieved no commercial success, ended up as a private detective I believe, and died young but in an era of singer-songwriters, he was one of the best.

I've been playing this album for 40 years and I still love it.

[yt]sS0bP7qAxsY[/yt]

David Ackles - great shout. I've got three of his albums and still play them a fair bit. Criminally underrated

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My goodness - you've opened a huge can of worms there mentioning the Fall. My two favourite albums are Extricate (1990) and The Marshall Suite (1999), both came straight after a massive upheaval in Fall personnel, more than most anyway. Extricate was immediately after Brix Smith had divorced MES and ran off with mockney Brightonian Nigel Kennedy and the Marshall Suite was after his arrest in the USA for attacking the other band members.

I saw the Fall play at the Brighton Centre East Wing for the Marshall Suite and it was noticeable that the band members were getting bigger and tougher perhaps a sign of those who were prepared to play with him in the band. If push came to shove I'd say Marshall Suite if only for the superb 'F-Folding Money'.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No 5.

Health – Get Color

Released: 2009
Label: Lovepump United
For Fans Of: Battles, Crystal Castles, Can, Derrick May
Reccomended Tracks: Die Slow, Severin, We Are Water

Simon Reynold’s makes the case in his outstanding ‘Retromania’ book that a world weary cynicism has entered modern day pop/rock music where bands and consumers alike are happy to enhance or ape previous works rather than innovate. It’s an argument that holds a great deal of water – post 1990 most trends outside electronic music have been re-cycled from Grunge to Britpop or the noughties wave of post-punk to nu-rave. However, as with all rules there are exceptions. HEALTH’s trailblazing 2009 release Get Color is an example of exactly that.

It’s a record that came seemingly from nowhere. 2007’s self-titled debut was ugly and dissonant marking them as the enfant terrible of the underground - but now celebrated – scene that existed around L.A’s DIY, all-ages club The Smell. Get Color changed that, it simply sounds like the future of rock music. Can style polyrhythm’s, distorted yet focused guitars, disembodied haunting vocals and song structures that at times aped techno acts like Derrick May. It sounds a bit like Trout Mask Replica for the Ritalin generation.

Which makes the long wait for a follow-up extremely frustrating. The intervening five years have seen an intriguing hip-hop flavoured single (USA Boys) and the soundtrack to video game Max Payne 3. Truthfully, that’s probably helped the aura surrounding this record rather than hindered it.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Monster Magnet - Last Patrol.

The most recent offering from the stoner rock group. At the moment they are going through a purple patch, and this is just excellent from start to finish, recorded on vintage instruments on analogue recording equipment. A good mix of quieter, thoughtful tracks (Behind the Clouds, Duke of Supernature) and out and out rock tracks (Last Patrol, End of Time). Saw them in London in February where they performed the album in its entirety. Just superb. Almost constantly on in my car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_7TGPJ39E

I'll give it a go, I lost MM after Powertrip, it all went a bit too Dave Grohl ROCKSTAR for me.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I love this. Difficult to classify, it always seems out of place and out of time, but has moments of pure genius. Starts with a 30-second choral chant (the first three tracks, in fact, are over in less than five minutes) but the penultimate track is a 14-minute psych epic.

It rises and falls like a raging sea - cinematic and full of colour. The first two songs proper are almost skiffle-punk, but the album is centered by three absolutely storming songs which echo the swirling guitars of the post-punk era (especially bands like the Bunnymen) and are up there with the best - Remember Me, Fear of Drowning and Carrion. And there are also slower tracks which have more room to breathe - Something Wicked, Blackout, A Wooden Horse and, their beautiful tribute to Geoff Goddard, The Lonely.

You can tell the songwriters are oddballs, growing up on the edge of the Lake District, obsessed with nature and history - there is something distinctly English about it all. Lyrical, intelligent, enigmatic and thrilling.

One of those rare records that I loved, played obsessively but never really tired of it. A shame they haven't quite ever repeated the trick. All their subsequent work IMHO suffers from focusing on succesful elements of this album rather than the whole package.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really think of Montreal should have far more commercial success than they have had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here