Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This has gone well. Number 2

Harald Grosskopf - Synthesist

Released: 1980
Label: Think Progressive
For Fans Of: Kraftwerk, Mannuel Gottshing, Aphex Twin
Reccomended Tracks: So Weit, So Gut, Emphasis, Transendental Overdrive

An oddity of electronic music, which on the timeline sits somewhere between Bowie in Berlin and the 1981 release of the grounding E2-E4 by ex band-mate Manuel Gottshing. Sylisitcally it is somewhere in between Kratwerk's synth-pop and the freestyle explorations of a Tangerine Dream. Grosskopf retired to the studio with 1979 with a minmoog, a primative sequencer and an 8-track recorder after serving his apprentiship in a variety of krautrock outfits, most notably The Cosmic Jokers and Ashra and created a beguiling mix of new age and kraut.

Re-released in 2011, it probably makes as much sense now as it did then. A proper trailblazing, undiscovered gem.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
While we're at it, another album I wouldn't want to be without is Marauder by Blackfoot. Ricky Medlocke from Lynyrd Skynyrds band from around 1981.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Some cracking suggestions on this thread. Loving the love for Low in particular.

I'm borderline evangelical about the merits of the Phantom Band, and was going to suggest their debut "Checkmate Savage" on this thread. I still listen to it all the time, five years after it came out, and still find new things to enjoy whenever I go back to it. Essentially a rock album, but with all sorts of wonderful deviations into folk, prog, Krautrock and much besides, it's all held together by the deep baritone of Rick Anthony, possessor of one of my favourite singing voices of all time.

But having spent most of the past fortnight listening to their new LP, "Strange Friend", I'm going to recommend that instead. And instead of banging on about its many virtues, I'll point you to a review that says all the things I wanted to say, only better. It's also got links to each track on Soundcloud so you can check it out for free.

http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2014/06/06/the-phantom-band-strange-friend-chemikal-underground-records/

It might not fully grab you on the first listen, or even the second or third, but stick with it and you'll soon find yourself doing what I've been doing all afternoon: listening to it, pondering for a moment what to listen to next, then just hitting Play again.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Some cracking suggestions on this thread. Loving the love for Low in particular.

I'm borderline evangelical about the merits of the Phantom Band, and was going to suggest their debut "Checkmate Savage" on this thread. I still listen to it all the time, five years after it came out, and still find new things to enjoy whenever I go back to it. Essentially a rock album, but with all sorts of wonderful deviations into folk, prog, Krautrock and much besides, it's all held together by the deep baritone of Rick Anthony, possessor of one of my favourite singing voices of all time.

But having spent most of the past fortnight listening to their new LP, "Strange Friend", I'm going to recommend that instead. And instead of banging on about its many virtues, I'll point you to a review that says all the things I wanted to say, only better. It's also got links to each track on Soundcloud so you can check it out for free.

http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2014/06/06/the-phantom-band-strange-friend-chemikal-underground-records/

It might not fully grab you on the first listen, or even the second or third, but stick with it and you'll soon find yourself doing what I've been doing all afternoon: listening to it, pondering for a moment what to listen to next, then just hitting Play again.

I saw them at The Great Escape just after Checkmate Savage came out because we couldn't get into another show. Amazing live band and 3 great records to boot. I salute your choice and here's hoping they make it back down this way sometime soon.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Monster Magnet - Last Patrol.

The most recent offering from the stoner rock group. At the moment they are going through a purple patch, and this is just excellent from start to finish, recorded on vintage instruments on analogue recording equipment. A good mix of quieter, thoughtful tracks (Behind the Clouds, Duke of Supernature) and out and out rock tracks (Last Patrol, End of Time). Saw them in London in February where they performed the album in its entirety. Just superb. Almost constantly on in my car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_7TGPJ39E

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Blowzabella - Vanilla

If you like hurdy-gurdy, bagpipe, accordion and saxophone driven dance music.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
My four most played albums (probably)
The Blue Aeroplanes - Swagger
My Morning Jacket - Z
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
Mission Of Burma - Vs.
I still love them all

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Monster Magnet - Last Patrol.

The most recent offering from the stoner rock group. At the moment they are going through a purple patch, and this is just excellent from start to finish, recorded on vintage instruments on analogue recording equipment. A good mix of quieter, thoughtful tracks (Behind the Clouds, Duke of Supernature) and out and out rock tracks (Last Patrol, End of Time). Saw them in London in February where they performed the album in its entirety. Just superb. Almost constantly on in my car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_7TGPJ39E

I'll check this out, thanks. Many years ago Spine of God was a firm favourite.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I had tickets to see them in Brighton in October - it's been cancelled now though.

That's a massive shame, saw their last 2 appearances in Brighton and both were excellent. Their website says it's the summer festival shows that are cancelled as Daevid is unwell, looks like it's just the Brighton show of the tour cancelled, might have to take in one of the other dates

10 of my favourite albums have never made the charts (in any serious way) or Smash hits top 100 albums

A woofer in tweeters clothing
Halfnelson
Big beat
Terminal jive
Whomp that sucker
Exotic creatures of the deep
Propaganda
Kimono my house
Gratuitous sax and senseless violins
No. 1 in heaven

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Joe Jackson - Look Sharp

[YT]X5r1ub00btE[/yt]

I LOVE this album. His first and sharpest (no pun intended) album. I also love 'Jumpin' Jive', his album of Louis Jordan/Cab Calloway covers

I'd probably have to chuck Joe Jacksons Night & Day into my list too, sublime album. I don't think there is a bad note, played or sung, throughout the entire album, and every song conveys a thought provoking message, messages that really do stand up to the test of time, and they're all done beautifully.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I love this. Difficult to classify, it always seems out of place and out of time, but has moments of pure genius. Starts with a 30-second choral chant (the first three tracks, in fact, are over in less than five minutes) but the penultimate track is a 14-minute psych epic.

It rises and falls like a raging sea - cinematic and full of colour. The first two songs proper are almost skiffle-punk, but the album is centered by three absolutely storming songs which echo the swirling guitars of the post-punk era (especially bands like the Bunnymen) and are up there with the best - Remember Me, Fear of Drowning and Carrion. And there are also slower tracks which have more room to breathe - Something Wicked, Blackout, A Wooden Horse and, their beautiful tribute to Geoff Goddard, The Lonely.

You can tell the songwriters are oddballs, growing up on the edge of the Lake District, obsessed with nature and history - there is something distinctly English about it all. Lyrical, intelligent, enigmatic and thrilling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here