Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] International Reggae Day.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anybody else read Bass Culture by Lloyd Bradley?.
Fascinating writing about the very early days of Sound Systems....
ever wondered what got played back then?.
this rarity comes from 1952 iirc, and works well in a Ska /Boss set, later versioned by Delroy Wilson as ' Drink Wine Everybody ' ,

Never read it, no. Sounds like a good read.

Jake_Tuff

Jan 31, 2012
Apparently this is a thing. So in the spirit of these things, since I missed out on International Tuba Day, here's your chance to post your favourite Reggae tunes to mark the occasion.

Given the theme is apparently 80's /90's influential dancehall, I'll kick off with this classic. Ticking all the right boxes:

Year: 1985.
Producer/label: Jammy's.
Riddim: Sleng Teng.

lucky enough to have been living in NYC when a new reggae shop opened up in chinatown that specialized in digital tunes. (https://www.instagram.com/deadlydragonsound) they threw a lot of great parties and frequently had the veteran singers, djs, and selectors pass through. johnnie osbourne was pretty frequent and always sounded top notch and a was a great person. this was around the time massive b re-did truths and rights and that tune would bring the place down. anyway this is my favorite jonnie osbourne tune. happy to see so many proper reggae fans on here

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Since worldwide The Wailers are obviously the most widely known Reggae band, let's give thanks to the I Threes and their own solo contributions to this beautiful music.

Loads of classics to choose from, but I'll go with these for now...

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Linking Johnny Clarke ...
1974 the first time I heard him was on this recording , also the new ' flying cymbal ' sound and as country boy at the time - what was Babylon referring too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here