Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] International Reggae Day.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yeah I was thinking of those 2 and Present Arms in dub. I was just a little bit too young for the 1981 gig, I would only have been 11. Pretty sure it was the following year that my folks let me go, on my own. You have to love 70s and 80s parenting.
:smile:
The concert history online for UB40 is a little vague. I still have Present Arms in dub on cassette.

Found this when I was searching concert history.

IMG_1191.jpeg

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's a good question as to what got us all into Reggae in the first place, especially if we're white and not from an inner city. For me, because of my age, it was definitely Two Tone, especially The Specials and The Beat. Then came UB40 I think. I also have a specific memory of hearing Buffalo Soldier on ToTP and that was when my record buying journey started.

Far more interesting to me is why we developed that love of Reggae and what keeps us coming back for more, years later. As a council house kid I identified with the message I suppose, although I'm not going to pretend I've ever known true 'sufferation' myself. Most of all though it's obviously that beat, the melody, the harmony, the tempo etc, but also the...... s p a c e! I love the space in the music! and it's the exact reason I struggle with a lot of rock music, as it's just too loud and busy to my ears.

I'm going to go back to Miss Lou here though, as the Jamaican language, and culture as I absorbed more, captured my heart from the start and likely sealed the deal. There's poetry in Jamaican patwah and a beauty and directness I just can't resist. I could listen to Jamaican's speak all day long, even if I still wouldn't necessarily understand the whole of it. Rap for example, from a very similar musical route, mostly leaves me cold. The accents and language are a struggle for me. Btw, these are just my gross generalisations about Rock and Rap, I don't dislike all of it, lol

Sorry to ramble, but Reggae has brought me so much joy over the years and helped me through all sorts of things that I almost feel like writing a love letter to it and the people that created it. If this is that letter, then it's not a lot of cop :LOL:, but it'll do for now. Back over to Miss Lou for something much more eloquent.....

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Dennis Brown 1st release as a 12yr old , originally recorded by the Van Dykes and still popular on the LA lowrider scene ... Coxsone later stretched it onto a 12" disco cut of much excellence ...!😎!.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Dennis Brown 1st release as a 12yr old , originally recorded by the Van Dykes and still popular on the LA lowrider scene ... Coxsone later stretched it onto a 12" disco cut of much excellence ...!😎!.

Beautiful!

I can't remember how old Freddie McGregor was when he started recording, but he sounds very young here on this!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The tune that always does it for me though when it comes to really young artists is this...

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Beautiful!

I can't remember how old Freddie McGregor was when he started recording, but he sounds very young here on this!

He's standing on a box to reach the mike!😎.
Never heard this version of the Tams hit from my yoof..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He's standing on a box to reach the mike!😎.
Never heard this version of the Tams hit from my yoof..
Yeah, that's the story I heard too, but I think a few artists down the years must have trotted that one out :lol:

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
It's a good question as to what got us all into Reggae in the first place, especially if we're white and not from an inner city. For me, because of my age, it was definitely Two Tone, especially The Specials and The Beat. Then came UB40 I think. I also have a specific memory of hearing Buffalo Soldier on ToTP and that was when my record buying journey started.

Far more interesting to me is why we developed that love of Reggae and what keeps us coming back for more, years later. As a council house kid I identified with the message I suppose, although I'm not going to pretend I've ever known true 'sufferation' myself. Most of all though it's obviously that beat, the melody, the harmony, the tempo etc, but also the...... s p a c e! I love the space in the music! and it's the exact reason I struggle with a lot of rock music, as it's just too loud and busy to my ears.

I'm going to go back to Miss Lou here though, as the Jamaican language, and culture as I absorbed more, captured my heart from the start and likely sealed the deal. There's poetry in Jamaican patwah and a beauty and directness I just can't resist. I could listen to Jamaican's speak all day long, even if I still wouldn't necessarily understand the whole of it. Rap for example, from a very similar musical route, mostly leaves me cold. The accents and language are a struggle for me. Btw, these are just my gross generalisations about Rock and Rap, I don't dislike all of it, lol

Sorry to ramble, but Reggae has brought me so much joy over the years and helped me through all sorts of things that I almost feel like writing a love letter to it and the people that created it. If this is that letter, then it's not a lot of cop :LOL:, but it'll do for now. Back over to Miss Lou for something much more eloquent.....

Well put if you ask me

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
Beautiful!

Bloody love Freddie. Saw him about 15 years ago at the Pavilion Theatre and he came outside afterwards and had a smoke with us. Absolute legend. I have photos on an old phone somewhere

Still touring too

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
So what got me into reggae?🤔, I'm 68 now so listened to pirate radio as a youngster living in village near Brighton, Johnny Nash , Desmond Dekker and a few Prince Buster records got an airing along with a lot of Soul . Our biannual village fete had a group from St Francis Hospital playing one year ( Eddie Singh and the Black Princes ) playing Caribbean music ....... That was it - I was hooked! .

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Linking singer/dj/instrumental cuts ... Unf I only have IRoy cut - still damn fine but not the holy grail😉.

This is really bugging me now. There were digital versions of this riddim released in the late 90's early 2000's. About the time when Fatis was ruling the dancehall with his Xterminator label with artists like Luciano and Mikey General etc. There's a particular cut that starts with the lyrics ' hip hip hooray' that go with the opening horns. Can't find it or recall it.

At first I thought it was the Exclamation of Rights riddim (yes, exclamation not declaration) that had Coco T's - Zeeks. But that's not it. Anyone any ideas please?

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Vin riding the John Holt version ...... Let that 'bone moan !!!
Ps ,saw him with the Skatalites at Komedia some years back..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ooh...Vin Gordon !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here