Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Injuries

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So - with Fati and Enciso looking like they'll be ready around the second half of Feb, it looks like we will go from having no wide-players available to suddenly having at least four (five if you include Barco). Rags to riches, eh?!!
Yes but with these caveats - Ansu Fati likely to start getting minutes from Spurs (A) onwards. Enciso return is less sure - he's not in full training yet and will require - probably - minutes with the u21s i guess before making a first team squad . RDZ still being very cagey when asked about it.

Jimmy Grimble

Fati and Enciso are also not natural wingers in the way the RDZ likes to play - they don’t do what Solly, Mitoma or Adingra do. They play in between the lines, more like a 10, which, as pointed out previously, makes it all the more ridiculous we didn’t have a winger lined up early in the month. Should have been high on the priority list the moment March got injured.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fati and Enciso are also not natural wingers in the way the RDZ likes to play - they don’t do what Solly, Mitoma or Adingra do. They play in between the lines, more like a 10, which, as pointed out previously, makes it all the more ridiculous we didn’t have a winger lined up early in the month. Should have been high on the priority list the moment March got injured.
You're off on one at the mo. FWIW, I agree with you that we need another DCM -- maybe Baleba hasn't developed as swiftly as we hoped. Not convinced about this 'winger' point. This is because, if you designate a player in a particular position -- Solly, Mitoma, Adingra = wingers, Enciso, Fati = number 10s -- then that means we've got a really imbalanced squad: Enciso, Fati, Fergie, Lallana, Welbeck, Joao Pedro all going for just two positions. Of those six, Enciso, Fati and Joao Pedro are all more versatile, and can play at least two of number 10, number 9 and winger. That's how RDZ seems to view their attributes too.

Jimmy Grimble

You're off on one at the mo. FWIW, I agree with you that we need another DCM -- maybe Baleba hasn't developed as swiftly as we hoped. Not convinced about this 'winger' point. This is because, if you designate a player in a particular position -- Solly, Mitoma, Adingra = wingers, Enciso, Fati = number 10s -- then that means we've got a really imbalanced squad: Enciso, Fati, Fergie, Lallana, Welbeck, Joao Pedro all going for just two positions. Of those six, Enciso, Fati and Joao Pedro are all more versatile, and can play at least two of number 10, number 9 and winger. That's how RDZ seems to view their attributes too.
You’re right, I should probably ease off!

I still think the squad is unbalanced in terms of attackers though, especially when RDZball is reliant on fast wide players who revel in 1 v 1s.

Ideally we would have two left footed wingers and two right right footed wingers. This isn’t obviously always possible. In theory going into the season with Mitoma, March and Adingra makes sense, as Adingra can cover both sides. Then if we’re desperate, Enciso could maybe do a job wide left, but he is not a winger and RDZ would not really want to use him there, it’s a waste.

That’s why as soon as March was ruled out for the season, Enciso was ruled out for half of it and an awareness that Mitoma and Adingra will miss a chunk of, it should have absolutely been a priority to sign a winger in the March/Mitoma/Adingra mould.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I still think the squad is unbalanced in terms of attackers though, especially when RDZball is reliant on fast wide players who revel in 1 v 1s.

Ideally we would have two left footed wingers and two right right footed wingers. This isn’t obviously always possible. In theory going into the season with Mitoma, March and Adingra makes sense, as Adingra can cover both sides. Then if we’re desperate, Enciso could maybe do a job wide left, but he is not a winger and RDZ would not really want to use him there, it’s a waste.

That’s why as soon as March was ruled out for the season, Enciso was ruled out for half of it and an awareness that Mitoma and Adingra will miss a chunk of, it should have absolutely been a priority to sign a winger in the March/Mitoma/Adingra mould.
Nearly with you, but: i, you've neglected Fati in that; and ii, I think both Fati and Enciso can play on the left (I suspect Barco might too) -- it's the right that's the problem. With March out, there's just Adingra and potentially someone like Gross (but we'd need another CM in especially with Dahoud going out), Lamptey or Hinshelwood. Not sure if Joao Pedro or Fati could play there but we might see them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It looks like it has been a priority, but right players, right price and all that. We’ve obviously been trying with Spurs to get a loan deal over the line for Gil, and Barco is on his way.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
- Mitoma is back playing after 6 weeks out. Japan won their tie v Bahrain 3-1- so will be in quarter finals on Saturday morning. So likely return is Sheff Utd (A) - or possibly Spurs (A) if Japan don't make the final.

- Adingra is also due (potentially) to get minutes on Saturday - Ivory Coast play Mali in the AFCON QF. Same deal for him. Possibly Spurs (A) if they don't make the final , Sheff Utd (A) if they do.

- Argentina qualified for the 2nd final group stage of their u23 tournament so Barco will also not be training with the first team squad until after Feb 13/14th at earliest. So maybe in the squad for Sheff Utd (A) ?

Mitoma came on for the last 25 mins. Looking at this, shows how much of a big miss he is

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
With Iran (less star striker Taremi, sent off today) up next, followed by Qatar or Uzbekistan, it's a straight route to the final for Japan...

You are spot on and it’s damaging our prospects of qualifying for Europe again very badly. Anyone can fill in on the wide flanks but our 3 actual wingers excel there

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Palace press. >>

Pedro (knee) - "will have a look in the morning (Saturday) "
Milner , who came off at Luton - could be out for "2 or 3 or 4 games...don't know"
Ansu Fati - in squad. " “Ansu Fati maybe can come on the pitch. I don't know how much time he can play [for]. We'll speak to the medical staff and make a decision in the morning.”

Squad will be (i think)

Verbruggen / Steele
Lamptey JPVH Webster, Dunk, Igor, Hinshelwood, Estupinan
Lallana, Gilmour, Gross, Baleba, Moder
Baker Boitey, Ansu Fati , Buonanotte,
Ferguson, (Pedro) , Welbeck

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What was the last we heard about Veltman? In amongst all the injuries, his has completely passed me by.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What was the last we heard about Veltman? In amongst all the injuries, his has completely passed me by.
In the sheff utd press conference - RDZ gave an update and said he'd be back "next month" (ie: this month now)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Mitoma trained at Lancing this morning

( via )

IMG_0116.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here