Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm Team CMS - and proud of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You haven't seen enough after three and bit seasons of this?

I think it was pretty obvious after three and a bit games myself.
I might as well keep going on the same mantra, who knows somebody might listen, one day.

None of us have seen Brighton play like last night over the last 3 seasons.
We are very very close to being an 'on the shoulder of the last defender' strikers wet dream.

Had we had 3 seasons of that CMS style football, and the same net result, there would be no argument, he probably wouldn't still be with us.

But most people seem to have acknowledged his obvious flaws, and how long can his injury be used as an excuse? He was playing at the end of last season, had a full pre season and has played 10 games of the current league season?
Fair enough that was a bit of a grasp, but only echoing Sami's pre-match interview.

I quite admire Stat Brother's stand.

I couldn't disagree with him more but loyalty is an admirable trait. Clearly he'll be all up in our faces when CMS scores his inevitable screamer for the year.

It's beyond that now.
I certainly wouldn't be giving it 'me me me' on the back of a Barnsley (?) glory goal.
He'd need to goal a game it through Oct (assuming he's not injured for the month) for me to even begin thinking about puffing my chest out.

I just feel like finally we are playing in a style where CMS can 'afford' to miss the same amount of chances every other striker gets, in order to still score goals.

Give him the chances to miss, then judge him.
He never had that luxury under Gus or Oscar.

Last edited:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I might as well keep going on the same mantra, who knows somebody might listen, one day.

None of us have seen Brighton play like last night over the last 3 seasons.
We are very very close to being an 'on the shoulder of the last defender' strikers wet dream.

Had we had 3 seasons of that CMS style football, and the same net result, there would be no argument, he probably wouldn't still be with us.

Fair enough that was a bit of a grasp, but only echoing Sami's pre-match interview.

It's beyond that now.
I certainly wouldn't be giving it 'me me me' on the back of a Barnsley (?) glory goal.
He'd need to goal a game it through Oct (assuming he's not injured for the month) for me to even begin thinking about puffing my chest out.

I just feel like finally we are playing in a style where CMS can 'afford' to miss the same amount of chances every other striker gets, in order to still score goals.

Give him the chances to miss, then judge him.
He never had that luxury under Gus or Oscar.

I want you to be right - but I fear he is actually pants.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I want you to be right - but I fear he is actually pants.
Then so be it.

All I'm hoping is we carry on giving him the opportunity to succeed, before he's deemed completely pants.

Stumpy Tim

I'll accept missed chances, I'll accept being poor in the air, but his complete inability to control a football is nothing short of criminal at this level. This was obvious within his first ten games under Poyet, and no long-term injury is an excuse for that.

He's our fourth best striker behind Baldock, Colunga and COG

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'll accept missed chances, I'll accept being poor in the air, but his complete inability to control a football is nothing short of criminal at this level. This was obvious within his first ten games under Poyet, and no long-term injury is an excuse for that.

He's our fourth best striker behind Baldock, Colunga and COG

Errrr..........but none of our strikers have been banging in the goals, so the problem this season isn't unique to CMS.

I suggest the drought still stems from the inability of the team to actually provide the service that suits our speedy but diminutive strikers ie balls on the shoulder of the last defender - and not lumped high and long as a nightmare for strikers to control or more likely for defenders to comfortably eat up. Too many of our crosses are still being lobbed into the box for an Ulloa style 'target man'. No wonder Baldock, CMS etc feel pressurised to snatch at whatever elusive half chances might come their way. CMS's form is disappointing but I also suspect that Baldock would struggle in similar circumstances.

As Stat Brother rightly suggests there are encouraging signs that Sami's system might just evolve to suit the strengths of strikers we have for now. I really hope that McCourt will get a proper opportunity to show he is the playmaker to provide those measured defence splitting passes. How many times over the last three seasons has CMS received a proper measured pass on the deck that he can run onto first time and get on target?

Stumpy Tim

Errrr..........but none of our strikers have been banging in the goals, so the problem this season isn't unique to CMS.

I suggest the drought still stems from the inability of the team to actually provide the service that suits our speedy but diminutive strikers ie balls on the shoulder of the last defender - and not lumped high and long as a nightmare for strikers to control or more likely for defenders to comfortably eat up. Too many of our crosses are still being lobbed into the box for an Ulloa style 'target man'. No wonder Baldock, CMS etc feel pressurised to snatch at whatever elusive half chances might come their way. CMS's form is disappointing but I also suspect that Baldock would struggle in similar circumstances.

As Stat Brother rightly suggests there are encouraging signs that Sami's system might just evolve to suit the strengths of strikers we have for now. I really hope that McCourt will get a proper opportunity to show he is the playmaker to provide those measured defence splitting passes. How many times over the last three seasons has CMS received a proper measured pass on the deck that he can run onto first time and get on target?

Did you even read my post?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Did you even read my post?

Yep.

I'm very comfortable with my assertion that the underlying problem is the 'system' - it does not play to the strengths of our strikers, even more so this season now we only have 'hobbits' up front.

It is too easy to forget that Poyet and Garcia compounded the problem by often playing CMS as a lone striker, which often put him the pockets of a pair of opposition CBs. We are guilty of wasting his skills and putting excess expectation upon him.

I won't write off CMS until he gets proper service from McCourt or AN Other who can deliver it. If he (and/or Baldock) fails after that, then so be it........

Stumpy Tim

Yep.

I'm very comfortable with my assertion that the underlying problem is the 'system' - it does not play to the strengths of our strikers, even more so this season now we only have 'hobbits' up front.

It is too easy to forget that Poyet and Garcia compounded the problem by often playing CMS as a lone striker, which often put him the pockets of a pair of opposition CBs. We are guilty of wasting his skills and putting excess expectation upon him.

I won't write off CMS until he gets proper service from McCourt or AN Other who can deliver it. If he (and/or Baldock) fails after that, then so be it........

My whole point was about his inability to control a football. You haven't addressed that at all - unless you think we should play a system where our leading striker shouldn't need to control the ball?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I'd like to think so.
I've not been saying anything different to anybody else.
Give CMS the chances then judge him on his performance.
Last night he had 2 chances and played them like a man low on confidence and form, back from a long lay off.
Had he played the full 90 with at least 2 more clear cut chances I'd like to think he'd score.
Bruno 'bennetted' a second half cross, that's just CMS' lot, at the moment.
Had he not scored we wouldn't be having the debate, I would be smelling coffee.

Clearly we can all see the team is edging to where everybody wants it to be.
Baldock, CMS whoever ought to be gearing themselves to score a hat full.

I'm not going to right off CMS, just yet.

There were several occasions last night (and through out his time here for that matter) where his poor touch on the edge of the area meant that he was unable to create the space/opportunity to shoot.

A decent championship striker would have.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My whole point was about his inability to control a football. You haven't addressed that at all - unless you think we should play a system where our leading striker shouldn't need to control the ball?
Humour me here:-

What it Bennett on Saturday and Bruno last night put regulation 6 yard box crosses in, and a la Bolton CMS converted them into goals.
The Albion would be 4 points better off, thanks to Macca.
They'd have a very creditable win v Forest.
Back to back wins heading into a potential difficult away fixtures.

And crucially you won't give sweet f-bomb all, about CMS' first touch.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
There were several occasions last night (and through out his time here for that matter) where his poor touch on the edge of the area meant that he was unable to create the space/opportunity to shoot.

A decent championship striker would have.

Anyone remember that Burnley 9 man defeat? His pace and first touch created two chances out of nothing that nearly salvaged an incedible point. He's gone so far backwards.

Stumpy Tim

What it Bennett on Saturday and Bruno last night put regulation 6 yard box crosses in, and a la Bolton CMS converted them into goals.

You're wrong. I have consistently complained about his first touch on NSC and to pretty much anyone who will listen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think you may well be NSC Last Man Standing for Team CMS. Nothing to be ashamed of. Somebody had to be.
It would appear not just yet :cheery::banana::banana::cheery::vuvu:

Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than happy to moan, groan and boo CMS' rotting carcass out of MY club, it is the Brighton way, after all.

I just want him to have a fair crack of the whip first.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think he may not be the right man for us, but in a way, I am still Team CMS. His attitude is dead right. It's just the application that is a little lacking.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Anyone remember that Burnley 9 man defeat? His pace and first touch created two chances out of nothing that nearly salvaged an incedible point. He's gone so far backwards.

There has been the odd flash but basically he's a good league 1 forward.

Barnes offered more than CMS, had the same goal return at this level and also brought overs into play. COG would also offer this but TBH is half the player Barnes was.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he may not be the right man for us, but in a way, I am still Team CMS. His attitude is dead right. It's just the application that is a little lacking.
As I keep saying

I think, finally, he is the right man for us.
But hasn't been the right man for the last 3 seasons, and that's taken it's toll.

Stumpy Tim

Also, you're basically saying that if CMS was given opportunities each game where he's 4 yards out with no keeper he'll score goals. Well no sh*t sherlock, but then so would I. His overall participation to attacking football is nothing short of woeful, and that's before any chances are created. His finishing is poor, but his overall play is way worse

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also, you're basically saying that if CMS was given opportunities each game where he's 4 yards out with no keeper he'll score goals. Well no sh*t sherlock, but then so would I. His overall participation to attacking football is nothing short of woeful, and that's before any chances are created. His finishing is poor, but his overall play is way worse
The opportunities were there to be given and the only thing stopping those goal threats was considerably worse skill than anything CMS has produced.

This thread last got properly bounced after Bolton where people were proclaiming him MotM.
What with his goal, his pinpoint pass to Bruno (?) and that save, plus his all round game.

Footballers thrive on confidence, to a non football playing fat bloke in the stands it would appear CMS is low on confidence and trying too hard (feel free to add other cliches).
A simple match winning tap in, or one in off his arse, is just what he needs.

I feel those opportunities will finally come more than just once a game, and it's up to CMS to prove he can take them.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here