Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you were Graham Potter would you have offered Bruno and Roberts a job to come with you

If you were GP would you have taken Bruno and Roberts with you

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To Chelsea?

Needs to be done as one poster is suggesting it was a no brainer

Yes I know Potter is not an Albion fan and this is an Albion forum, but even so imagine you weren’t would you be comfortable raping and pillaging the club who gave you your first job in the PL

I know for a fact that I wouldn’t as I would feel a loyalty to the chairman who stuck with me through the bad times and I know I’d have affection for him and the club. I’d have a very guilty conscience if I did and that is a FACT

What do you think?

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Yes, if I believed they played a valuable role in preparing the squad for games...I'd possibly have tried to recruit more of the wider team

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If I were Graham Potter?

Well, he did, so clearly the answer is yes?

But yeah, if I was in the same position as Graham I'd do the same thing.

You and your colleagues are doing a great job and suddenly someone comes to offer unheard of riches and massive opportunities to win titles... Do I suddenly think its all about me and throw my hard working colleagues in the bin or do I ask if they as well want to reap the rewards of their hard and successful work? Naturally the latter as it would be a horrible thing not to.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If I were Graham Potter?

17E54198-11B9-41DF-A1B3-0820A7E59798.jpeg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I expanded my answer but what I first replied wasn't really about my perception of Graham but how the question was asked.

If I was Graham Potter = this part of the sentence makes me Graham Potter, not myself.

would you have offered Bruno and Roberts a job to come with you = since I'm Graham Potter, who evidently made the decision to ask his colleagues to follow, the answer would be yes.

:shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I expanded my answer but what I first replied wasn't really about my perception of Graham but how the question was asked.

If I was Graham Potter = this part of the sentence makes me Graham Potter, not myself.

would you have offered Bruno and Roberts a job to come with you = since I'm Graham Potter, who evidently made the decision to ask his colleagues to follow, the answer would be yes.

:shrug:

The majority seem to agree with you :shrug:

I was not cut out to be ruthless and rich..and I’m not but I do sleep well at night :smile:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The majority seem to agree with you :shrug:

I was not cut out to be ruthless and rich..and I’m not but I do sleep well at night :smile:

Oh yes, you're cut out to be ruthless and rich. You'd choose licking the arse of your billionaire boss while denying your hard working colleagues the reward for something you did together. Ruthless as it gets. You'd be the boss little pet and probably make a fortune out of it.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yes. I’d have worked closely with them for years and evidently become close. Why wouldn’t you want to take a successful team with you if you thought it would contribute to success at the next level? There would have been no ‘loyalty’ if we’d wanted to have sacked him and his team. Works the other way too.

Bruno and Roberts could have turned him down. They too thought it best for their career not to. Keep in mind they could have been out of a job in the next couple of weeks if a new manager wanted his own people.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
If I were Graham Potter?

But yeah, if I was in the same position as Graham I'd do the same thing.

You and your colleagues are doing a great job and suddenly someone comes to offer unheard of riches and massive opportunities to win titles... Do I suddenly think its all about me and throw my hard working colleagues in the bin or do I ask if they as well want to reap the rewards of their hard and successful work? Naturally the latter as it would be a horrible thing not to.

Potter is no fool. Managing a big club with big ego's among the players, most of whom have played at a much higher level than GP did, needs a team of support staff you can trust, basically because you are the reason that they are (presumably) on a much higher pay-scale over 5 years than they were getting.

GP has cherry-picked the back-up men he believes can back him up at Stamford Bridge. It's just an enlarged version of Cloughie and Peter Taylor, Joe Mercer and Mal Allison from the old days.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes obviously, they would be my mates, and presumably I'd been happy with the job I was doing. Imagine you were all at the pub together, you wouldn't just get up and leave two behind.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Icy they aren’t fans of BHA, it’s a job at the end of the day nothing more.

I have started the last few days intending to lurk, not post. Need to try harder, just have to accept I am out of step with reality :smile:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
To Chelsea?

Needs to be done as one poster is suggesting it was a no brainer

Yes I know Potter is not an Albion fan and this is an Albion forum, but even so imagine you weren’t would you be comfortable raping and pillaging the club who gave you your first job in the PL

I know for a fact that I wouldn’t as I would feel a loyalty to the chairman who stuck with me through the bad times and I know I’d have affection for him and the club. I’d have a very guilty conscience if I did and that is a FACT

What do you think?

Does it need to be done based on one persons opinion, which I am assuming was different to yours?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Does it need to be done based on one persons opinion, which I am assuming was different to yours?

Turns out it’s not one person’s opinion and that one person was getting flak on another thread, so yeah

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe, on finding out about the opportunity given to GP, Bruno and BR asked if there would/could be a job for them? Maybe Chelsea asked them/TB?

That obviously doesn't answer your question, but merely offers a different perspective on the situation.

Anyway, who cares? It's done. We'll all move on and get on with life.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter is no fool. Managing a big club with big ego's among the players, most of whom have played at a much higher level than GP did, needs a team of support staff you can trust, basically because you are the reason that they are (presumably) on a much higher pay-scale over 5 years than they were getting.

GP has cherry-picked the back-up men he believes can back him up at Stamford Bridge. It's just an enlarged version of Cloughie and Peter Taylor, Joe Mercer and Mal Allison from the old days.

Yup. If he came there alone, he'd be in a very very difficult situation. He did what was best for himself and for his colleagues. As many would.

Tony probably got a bit disappointed, then shrugged his shoulders when remembering he is the greatest chairman in football and will find new high-level competence to get into the club, as he always has.

In the last few days there's been a lot of talk about the ruthlessness of GP and the other coaches... easy to forget that TB would destroy worlds to get Brighton successful. "Ruthless" is a pretty ****ing good trait if you want to succeed in a highly competitive, high-pressure environment.

Pretty sure it will be one of the requirements for the next manager as well - someone who doesn't give a shit about how fancy the opposition is, someone who can tell the first choice goalie "we don't want you anymore" despite the backup only having experience from a year in Rochdale... and eventually, someone who doesn't give a shit about sentimental stuff when he's taken the club to new heights and gets a better job offer. The latter part might be unfortunate, but goes with getting the very best and ambitious people into the club .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wasted 4 second of my life reading the Q and ticking the yes box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here