If you could go back in time to watch any Albion Game

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having see most of the big ones since the mid 70s, I'd go for the day we beat Wolves on a frozen pitch when Wardy scored two or three and was apparently unplayable. Alternatively I'd like to rewatch the 0-2 against 1st div WBA in the League Cup where Wardy scored both and Willie Johnstone was sent off for running the length of the pitch and aiming a kick at the ref.

Uncanny. I started watching in the mid 70s and had virtually the same thought. My first season of going regularly (didn't miss a home game) was 76/77. However, I would want to see the Ipswich game in the cup because it was the first big game under the lights against a great team and perhaps came too soon in my albion career for me to appreciate it.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
On the subject of Newcastle '79, is it true that the Toon sort of wanted us to win as it meant Sunderland wouldn't go up, or have I made that up in my mind somewhere somehow :shrug:

Many of the coaches went up overnight and were then parked up in various places around the area (Durham, Chester-le-street, etc). Ours was told to wait in Durham and it was really strange wandering around the town in the morning and all of the local telling us they hoped we would win as it would keep Sunderland down. I never quite understood why our coaches got bricked on the way back - can't believe it was Newcastle fans and wouldn't have thought Sunderland fans would have gone to so much trouble.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I went to Newcastle 1979, but never appreciated it at the time because of a boring Inter-City trip home journey, standing up the whole way. Just a grumpy young lad!

It was only in the last couple of years (on NSC possibly), that I found out that many 1,000's later greated the Albion at Brighton Train Station hours later.
WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE FOR THAT!!!

Have also only recently seen Argus pictures of the parade to celebrates. Mega street crowds about 20 x, that down Brighton seafront last May.
WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE FOR THAT TOO.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Many of the coaches went up overnight and were then parked up in various places around the area (Durham, Chester-le-street, etc). Ours was told to wait in Durham and it was really strange wandering around the town in the morning and all of the local telling us they hoped we would win as it would keep Sunderland down. I never quite understood why our coaches got bricked on the way back - can't believe it was Newcastle fans and wouldn't have thought Sunderland fans would have gone to so much trouble.

I remember as a boy (can anyone else) that in the small terrace in front of the Leezes Stand (their only stand at St.James's) during the game, about 20 Sunderland fans tried to get to us, before Police stopped it. 'Brave' visiting the ground of their arch rivals.

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
tricky - would be nice to go back to Goldstone when we got 30k + attendances - Villa 72 maybe , away would have to be semi at highbury - nerve racking game!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
One other game I would go back to would be Darlington (h) Season 96/97 when we ran from the North Stand across to the West Stand to chase Bellotti out of the directors box. This time I would be sitting next to the directors box and when he stands up to leg it, bam, kerpow (Imagine batman stylie here) I would lamp him the ****!

Sep 1, 2010
One other game I would go back to would be Darlington (h) Season 96/97 when we ran from the North Stand across to the West Stand to chase Bellotti out of the directors box. This time I would be sitting next to the directors box and when he stands up to leg it, bam, kerpow (Imagine batman stylie here) I would lamp him the ****!

Robin Bastards they were too!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That would be 1975 when the "dirty cheating Leeds" were beaten 2-0 by the even dirtier, fouling, cheating Bayern Munich.

How splendidly ironical that was. Oh and Leeds had a perfectly good goal disallowed........

Blimey, the mind does fade...1975.

I remember sitting in a cafe having breakfast in Paris trying not to look or sound English.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Brighton 4-4 Orient

Not any other reason than to place a MASSIVE bet on the result :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports