Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could go back in time to watch any Albion Game

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hereford. I was listening to it on the radio. Agonising. I clearly could have influenced proceedings if I had been at the game. I haven't been able to match the fear and jubilation I felt that day, pacing about the kitchen. Maybe when I have a child..?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Semi Final V Sheffield Wednesday at Highbury in 1983 best day of a 15yr olds life EVER !!!!
I was only 9 and listened to it on the radio. The F.A. cup meant so much back then. I was allowed to stay up and watch Match of the day and seeing that jimmy case Free kick in front of all those Albion fans will live with me forever.

If I could go back in time for one match I would choose this match over Newcastle but only just.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
probably the 1st and only time i ever got to go with my dad , lost 1 nil at home many many moons ago but as it was my 1st game and hooked me for life i would certainly like to go back and remember a little more of that night than i can remember now

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Born in 79 so missed the cup run of 83 and the promotion campaign to the top flight in the late seventies. Would have loved to have gone to Highbury or Newcastle for the two critical games of that era.

More my own time but Millwall at home in the play off semi final and although it was an awful game and a painful experience the feeling at full-time against Hereford away will never be bettered even if we beat Palace in the Champions League Final.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Sep 1, 2010
Im loving this thread Arty, brings light to the board in a time of too many Stains threads.

For me I would choose Newcastle and the top flight promotion. I remember sitting glued to the radio that afternoon. None of the goals when seen on the TV was anything like they were in my mind but who cares. I would also like to get f***ing rat arsed on the train home also!

Good call, although if you want to inc. getting rat arsed on the way home you will have to pay 2011 prices, DeLorean car going at 88 MPH not included!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I want 2

Newcastle '79. Dad and brother went, but to this day I don't know why I didn't.

Cup final (first game, I went to replay). Had a ticket but my leave application was turned down. Thank you very much Sgt K. Woods :rant:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having see most of the big ones since the mid 70s, I'd go for the day we beat Wolves on a frozen pitch when Wardy scored two or three and was apparently unplayable. Alternatively I'd like to rewatch the 0-2 against 1st div WBA in the League Cup where Wardy scored both and Willie Johnstone was sent off for running the length of the pitch and aiming a kick at the ref.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
On the subject of Newcastle '79, is it true that the Toon sort of wanted us to win as it meant Sunderland wouldn't go up, or have I made that up in my mind somewhere somehow :shrug:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Very, very tricky...

Of the ones I missed then Hereford, Liverpool and Newcastle would be the obvious choices.

My own "time machine" desire has, however, always been to return to The Goldstone around 1977-1980 for one of the amazing matchday experiences that I had as a little nipper but didn't fully appreciate... Tottenham 1978 is high on the list.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It's tough. Do I want to revisit a match I went to, or see one I never did?

On balance, the former list is stronger. I went to the cup semi final, final, Hereford, last game at Goldstone and most of the other occasions already mentioned from the last 30 years. Many of which I'd happily see again. In the end, if I had to pick any from that list, I'd pick the sequence of 3 back-to-back games against Ipswich and Millwall (home and away) that got us to play-off final against Notts County. For sheer against the odds excitement they're hard to beat, with each having incredible twists. I don't know if I could endure the agony of Hereford again, though the final whistle will live with me forever!

But I guess the game I'm saddest to have missed was the first game at the Amex. Being stuck in Dubai now, my Albion experiences are TV-only, and not being there to bring *that* 14 year saga to a close really hurt.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Game i've been to v Millwall at home in playoffs 91... the second half was magical

Absolutely sensational. Euphoria beyond belief, Clive Walker wheeling his arm after scoring, Robert Codner shaking his hand at the pursuing Albion players to get them to back off after he'd scored so that he could continue his celebratory run to the South Stand uninterrupted.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Of all the big games since 1970 the only one I missed was St James' Park in 1979
That's where I want to go back to.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Absolutely sensational. Euphoria beyond belief, Clive Walker wheeling his arm after scoring, Robert Codner shaking his hand at the pursuing Albion players to get them to back off after he'd scored so that he could continue his celebratory run to the South Stand uninterrupted.

Yup, that's why I nominated that too – after Millwall went 1-0 up, they thought they had the tie in the bag. Our four goals in rapid succession were the most stunning turnaround. I don't think the North Stand ever belted out "You're not singing anymore" with more passion or justification. AND that game came after the Ipswich game, with its missed penalty, injury-time Wilkins winner and so on that got us into the play-offs in such dramatic fashion. Heady days.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I would go to Hereford. or either of the play-off finals. Would love to go to Wembley 1983 as well.

For those I will swop you Hull away in 2000, Macclesfield away in '98, Walsall away in 2009 and mansfield away in 99

ta

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here