Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If Potter had stayed he'd now be England manager

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Have you been hacked?

No apostrophe in "its" (sic), little i instead of big I, an implied factual incorrectness in that Southgate hasn't actually left yet and an actual factual incorrectness in that if Potter had stayed he'd now be Brighton manager :shrug:

Enjoy the office party :kiss:
Its the Ghost of Christmas Future...ha.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I imagine he would not be too keen on that job. Not a lot of managers take a thriving career and throw it away to take the part-time job it is to coach a national team. Goes for Howe as well - why would he leave Newcastle to manage England?

Also think there is 0 percent chance of FA headhunting a current PL manager mid-season as the clubs would not be happy with the FA interferring with the competitive integrity of the PL. Destroying relations between the PL and the FA is not something they'd want to do for various reasons. The idea of the FA paying £20m+ for a manager when plenty of English clubs are in financial trouble is another thing that wouldn't look great.

If Southgate goes the successor will either be unemployed (like Steven Gerrard), already employed by the FA (Steve Holland?) or employed at a foreign club (foreign coach or maybe Wayne Rooney), unless they go with some interim choice until the summer.
As I've said to you before, the England job is a bit more important here than it would appear to be in Sweden. It also comes with a lot of risk and reward. 50% chance of the red tops likening you to some kind of vegetable and turning you into a laughing stock, but a pretty good chance too of an honour from the King, even if you do ok, and national hero of "statue everywhere" proportions if you win a major tournament. Sir Alf Ramsay, knighted, is still talked of with misty eyed deference by people who never actually saw his team play live. Everyone in England knows who Sarina Wiegman is, in a country where women's football was an amusing side show ten years ago. So, it depends if you fancy that (and, in Potter's case, the chance to represent your country when you never could as a player).

But, that apart, you're correct. Now he's just got under the table at Chelsea he won't go anywhere and the same with Howe now he's having success at Newcastle. The money those two can pay and the fact that one coach has just started and the other has just started winning rules them out.

And Rooney, Gerrard, Holland and maybe Lee Carsley will almost certainly be on any succession plan shortlist.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He'd have turned down Chelsea, had perhaps an even better run against Brentford, Villa, City etc, Albion would be top 6 or more and now he'd be the #1 favourite.
Instead - its Eddie Howe i guess.
Not a chance.
1). There isn't a vacancy.
2). Potter's forte is working day to day with players, improving them and getting them totally immersed in his systems.
3), The England manager's job, on the other hand, involves occasional contact with a group of star individuals (who do, admittedly need to be moulded into a team) - an ideal job for an ex-PL manager who couldn't manage to sustain his influence over the dressing room long term, or an older manager happy not to have the day-to-day grind of club management.
4). Howe is getting far too much money to be interested.

Last edited:

SAC

May 21, 2014
Zero chance Eddie Howe takes the England job. He'll be earning more at Newcastle
Indeed, if the press are to be believed, Southgate is on £3 million, Howe £4 million and Potter £10 million. That's a massive pay cut unless the FA were willing to match (which I don't think they would/should).

I think Southgate will stay on until the end of his contract by which time one of the above will probably be available. If he goes, Lee Carley or Steve Holland will probably get it on a short term contract and then see how they get on.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Totally over GP and his departure now, was over by the Friday actually 😂, but Potter at England would have been a recipe for disaster, he had a go at the Albion faithful and suggested a history lesson or two, imagine the whole country on his back? 🙈

Bit left field, but stays within the UK, give Brendan Rodgers a chance?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Southgate only a lock to stay as no obvious successor. If potter was still here there’d be a clamouring in the media and a different narrative I suspect.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Totally over GP and his departure now, was over by the Friday actually 😂, but Potter at England would have been a recipe for disaster, he had a go at the Albion faithful and suggested a history lesson or two, imagine the whole country on his back? 🙈

Bit left field, but stays within the UK, give Brendan Rodgers a chance?
I think you're probably right, I don't think he would cope with the pressure. I also think (as a big Potter fan when he was here) that he is totally the wrong sort of manager for international football. The way he got us changing formation and systems three times in a game and using bizarre and unorthodox methods with left backs getting into the box like a centre-forward etc.- imagine trying to do that when you only have the players together for a week or so every few months. He's the kind of manager that needs to be with the players on the training ground at all times, I think.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have you been hacked?

No apostrophe in "its" (sic), little i instead of big I, an implied factual incorrectness in that Southgate hasn't actually left yet and an actual factual incorrectness in that if Potter had stayed he'd now be Brighton manager :shrug:

Enjoy the office party :kiss:

I was completely thrown too.

Coming from the NSCer famed for dealing in cold, hard facts I hopped over to the BBC to read about Southgate's departure, only to find he still seems to be the England manager.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Had Potter stayed then De Zerbi would have taken up alternative employment and would not be our number one target. Funny how things work out

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I highly doubt it as Southgate, is still England manager and still has a contract to run until 2024. He has also had the most positive tournament exit in my lifetime (some say since Italia 90).

He will stick around until after the Euros. By that point, Potter will either be a free agent, ready to move forward, or Smug Eddie will have served his time as staff to the Saudi Royal Family and move on to the big job.
His tournament exits have been much better than Italia 90, I think. The memories of that night in Turin against the eventual World Cup winners help you forget that it had been a very average performance up to that point: 1-1 v Ireland, 0-0 v Netherlands, 1-0 v Egypt, 1-0 v Belgium in last minute of ET, and 3-2 v Cameroon with Lineker's 2 pennos.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As I've said to you before, the England job is a bit more important here than it would appear to be in Sweden. It also comes with a lot of risk and reward. 50% chance of the red tops likening you to some kind of vegetable and turning you into a laughing stock, but a pretty good chance too of an honour from the King, even if you do ok, and national hero of "statue everywhere" proportions if you win a major tournament. Sir Alf Ramsay, knighted, is still talked off with misty eyed deference by people who never actually saw his team play live. Everyone in England knows who Sarina Wiegman is, in a country where women's football was an amusing side show ten years ago. So, it depends if you fancy that (and, in Potter's case, the chance to represent your country when you never could as a player).

But, that apart, you're correct. Now he's just got under the table at Chelsea he won't go anywhere and the same with Howe now he's having success at Newcastle. The money those two can pay and the fact that one coach has just started and the other has just started winning rules them out.

And Rooney, Gerrard, Holland and maybe Lee Carsley will almost certainly be on any succession plan shortlist.
Well, among fans that seems to be the case yes. Managers seem less interested. Venables, who had been out of a job for three years, got the job after Kevin Keegan, Ron Atkinson and Howard Wilkinson said "lol, no, I'm managing Newcastle/Villa/Leeds".

When Venables left hthe England job, the FA asked Keegan (again) and Bryan Robson who said "lol, no", meaning Hoddle got the job instead which was far from certain until the England FA decided to outpay Chelsea.

When Hoddle was sacked, SAF said "LMAO, no", Bryan Robson said "nah, don't want it, I'm managing Middlesbrough) and John Gregory said "nopes, busy with my Aston Villa". Keegan also said no at first and only accepted it when England offered the role as a part-time job with Keegan continuing to work for Fulham. Later he got the job permanently, something he regretted afterwards... because it is a shit job.

Keegan left, fan favorite Terry Venables said "don't touch me" when asked if he would have the job again, SAF laughed at the FA another time, O'Neill said no thanks... ended up with Sven who was sceptical but took the job after seeing the £££ signs (and also thinking it was a pretty f***ing exciting job).

The notion that it is a job everyone wants etc. comes from fans, who are not the ones who will suffer long lasting abuse in their home country if they don't win a World Cup.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Well, among fans that seems to be the case yes. Managers seem less interested. Venables, who had been out of a job for three years, got the job after Kevin Keegan, Ron Atkinson and Howard Wilkinson said "lol, no, I'm managing Newcastle/Villa/Leeds".

When Venables left hthe England job, the FA asked Keegan (again) and Bryan Robson who said "lol, no", meaning Hoddle got the job instead which was far from certain until the England FA decided to outpay Chelsea.

When Hoddle was sacked, SAF said "LMAO, no", Bryan Robson said "nah, don't want it, I'm managing Middlesbrough) and John Gregory said "nopes, busy with my Aston Villa". Keegan also said no at first and only accepted it when England offered the role as a part-time job with Keegan continuing to work for Fulham. Later he got the job permanently, something he regretted afterwards... because it is a shit job.

Keegan left, fan favorite Terry Venables said "don't touch me" when asked if he would have the job again, SAF laughed at the FA another time, O'Neill said no thanks... ended up with Sven who was sceptical but took the job after seeing the £££ signs (and also thinking it was a pretty f***ing exciting job).

The notion that it is a job everyone wants etc. comes from fans, who are not the ones who will suffer long lasting abuse in their home country if they don't win a World Cup.
You think professional Scotsman Sir Alex Ferguson was offered the England job?

:lolol:
:wozza:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I was completely thrown too.

Coming from the NSCer famed for dealing in cold, hard facts I hopped over to the BBC to read about Southgate's departure, only to find he still seems to be the England manager.
Exactly. I thought it was a Chailey SCOOP.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Whatever the Guardian strapline says, that's not being offered the job. That's Adam Crozier potentially sounding him out about it. The idea that he went through an interview and contracting process is nonsense. And, if he didn't, he wasn't "offered the job". legally or morally.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Whatever the Guardian strapline says, that's not being offered the job. That's Adam Crozier potentially sounding him out about it. The idea that he went through an interview and contracting process is nonsense. And, if he didn't, he wasn't "offered the job". legally or morally.
Well if he had said "yes, give me the job, yesterday preferably" when they were "sounding him out", he would have gotten the job... obviously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here