Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If Potter had stayed he'd now be England manager

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I highly doubt it as Southgate, is still England manager and still has a contract to run until 2024. He has also had the most positive tournament exit in my lifetime (some say since Italia 90).

He will stick around until after the Euros. By that point, Potter will either be a free agent, ready to move forward, or Smug Eddie will have served his time as staff to the Saudi Royal Family and move on to the big job.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I would love to know what GP is thinking right now
"Finally, I'm at a club that will buy me a striker! Which Dortmund starlet will cost £70m and not be able to score for the next 2 seasons."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably hoping Southgate stays to the end of his contract, by which time he’ll have a 16m pay off and walk straight into the England job.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'If' and 'perhaps' doing a LOT of heavy lifting there.

Plus, for every Leicester 5-2 or Manchester United 4-0 during the Potter era, there was a Fulham defeat (multiple, I think?) or Burnley 0-3. Not saying he wasn't a good manager or wouldn't get the England job – would he have even wanted it? – just that I'm not convinced he'd be the shoo-in that a lot of people think he would.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'I'm looking forward to getting a full squad back together and crack on with the Premier League'?

He's the Chelsea manager, so that's probably his priority...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I highly doubt it as Southgate, is still England manager and still has a contract to run until 2024. He has also had the most positive tournament exit in my lifetime (some say since Italia 90).

He will stick around until after the Euros. By that point, Potter will either be a free agent, ready to move forward, or Smug Eddie will have served his time as staff to the Saudi Royal Family and move on to the big job.
Agree. The only way Southgate is going is if he's getting fed up being trolled by cretins who think "we should of been beating teams like France".

Of which, sadly, there are many.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
'If' and 'perhaps' doing a LOT of heavy lifting there.

Plus, for every Leicester 5-2 or Manchester United 4-0 during the Potter era, there was a Fulham defeat (multiple, I think?) or Burnley 0-3. Not saying he wasn't a good manager or wouldn't get the England job – would he have even wanted it? – just that I'm not convinced he'd be the shoo-in that a lot of people think he would.
But you can prove anything with facts :rolleyes:

Plus it's far more fun to imagine he would be a shoo-in (y)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I imagine he would not be too keen on that job. Not a lot of managers take a thriving career and throw it away to take the part-time job it is to coach a national team. Goes for Howe as well - why would he leave Newcastle to manage England?

Also think there is 0 percent chance of FA headhunting a current PL manager mid-season as the clubs would not be happy with the FA interferring with the competitive integrity of the PL. Destroying relations between the PL and the FA is not something they'd want to do for various reasons. The idea of the FA paying £20m+ for a manager when plenty of English clubs are in financial trouble is another thing that wouldn't look great.

If Southgate goes the successor will either be unemployed (like Steven Gerrard), already employed by the FA (Steve Holland?) or employed at a foreign club (foreign coach or maybe Wayne Rooney), unless they go with some interim choice until the summer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He'd have turned down Chelsea, had perhaps an even better run against Brentford, Villa, City etc, Albion would be top 6 or more and now he'd be the #1 favourite.
Instead - its Eddie Howe i guess.
Have you been hacked?

No apostrophe in "its" (sic), little i instead of big I, an implied factual incorrectness in that Southgate hasn't actually left yet and an actual factual incorrectness in that if Potter had stayed he'd now be Brighton manager :shrug:

Enjoy the office party :kiss:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He’d could still be england manager if he wants to be. No way Potter or Howe take it at this stage of their careers though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"Why do I keep getting all these anonymous love letters from Sweden? Are those pizza stains?"

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Agree. The only way Southgate is going is if he's getting fed up being trolled by cretins who think "we should of been beating teams like France".

Of which, sadly, there are many.
100% and I'm sure he's used to that by now.

He's got probably the cleanest schedule possible going forward due to the late World Cup. 10 fixtures across 8 months in 2023, all for a fairly straightforward (in theory) qualification group in which the top 2 automatically qualify. No Nations League until 2024 so a single focus and a clear end for him before, I imagine, he moves into some kind of technical director role at the FA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here