Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If Man Utd did to us what we're doing to Grimsby......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone recognise themselves from that game away at Grimsby 20 years ago ??
There are a few of us LA Lads in the photo

.View attachment 157773
I'm just out of shot. When the "Travelling Seagulls" (which includes quite a few ex-pats, and still meets up for the final game, 20+ years later) met up in the pub later that day, I found that the left side of my face had been flayed by the sun and I looked like some sort of beetroot harlequin :lolol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
we'd all be going mental. There is a reason that Grimsby are in the quarters, they beat an average EPL side. Lets give them a bit of credit and treat them with respect. None of this beating teams like Grimsby or booking hotels at Wembley or canceling holidays in June. We are playing a team who are 17th in the 4th tier and enjoying the greatest time of their lives traveling 100's of miles to watch their club. Don't wind them up with #teamslikeGrimsby or similar but welcome them with open arms, feed them with the best pies in the land, allow them to sup our local ales, clap when they wave their blow up fish-

And then stuff them 5:0
100% this .... let's not become the fans we despise

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Anyone recognise themselves from that game away at Grimsby 20 years ago ??
There are a few of us LA Lads in the photo

.View attachment 157773

Can anyone spot themselves in these photos? I was up for the game with the 'flying squad' fans and took quite a few photos

Pub Pre Match
DSCN0970.JPG

Is this you?
DSCN0969.JPG

Warm Up
DSCN0984.JPG

Silly Sod
DSCN0992.JPG

Behind the goal
DSCN1010.JPG

Post Match
DSCN1017.JPG

Post Match
DSCN1018.JPG

DSCN1022.JPG

One for my favourite Moderator
DSCN1032.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1010.JPG
    DSCN1010.JPG
    651.2 KB · Views: 56

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
On paper we should win, but they will be up for it, well motivated, will have learnt from the Southampton game, and so will raise their game above their normal league status. It will be much more like playing a League One or even Championship team. We lost to Charlton & Stoke wasnt easy. Play our first 11 and we SHOULD win, but taking nothing for granted here.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s been about 2-3 posters tongue in cheek - the other 99% of posters are saying it’ll be tough etc. it’s just the 2-3 posters have started threads for a wind up. No need to defend it as ‘what we’re doing to Grimsby’ in my opinion.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Let's imagine a similar scenario from Grimsby's perspective. Last season they were in the National League allowing them to play in the FA Trophy. Imagine they were drawn in the semi-final against a team from three tiers below them (not even sure what that league is - Northern Premier?) - how do you think their fans would react? They'd be booking their MegaBus tickets to London in anticipation of the final.

It's the best possible draw for us and I have no problem with people forward planning.

PS - I'm on a language trip to Dublin the weekend of the semi-final and can't make Wembley :ffsparr:
Sure to be sure, top of the mornin to ya, what’s the craic.

Is that really worth missing a trip to Wembley 🙄😂

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It shows that the excesses of fans of the ‘big’ clubs are here in abundance at BHA as well. I am sure they are also present in Grimsby when they are drawn with a club three divisions below L2.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Teams have worked out how to play against us.

We've battered Bournemouth, Palace, Fulham and Stoke but only scored 3 goals. Granted we've only conceded twice and one of them was a huge rick by Sanchez.

I certainly won't be counting any chickens against any opposition between now and the end of the season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

We've battered Bournemouth, Palace, Fulham and Stoke but only scored 3 goals. Granted we've only conceded twice and one of them was a huge rick by Sanchez.

I certainly won't be counting any chickens against any opposition between now and the end of the season.
I'm not sure I agree with that.

In all three of those Premier League games we created a hatful of chances - we just didn't score them. Depending on which model you use, we were close to an xG of 3 each time.

Being "worked out" doesn't involve letting a side create a lot and then hoping they fail to convert.

We seem to be infected with Potter-itis - let's just hope it passes soon.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Sure to be sure, top of the mornin to ya, what’s the craic.

Is that really worth missing a trip to Wembley 🙄😂
75 students 5 teachers maybe I could sneak away! I'm sure I'll find a pub in any case.

We used to go to Eastbourne until the language school was closed.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I hope that the club, players and officials from Grimsby are treated like royalty when they come to Amex, I’d be shocked if they weren’t.

Not only does that show we’re a decent club but also takes away the ‘they left a shit in our dressing room’ style tactic that can wind up lower quality opponents and produce a better performance.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm not sure I agree with that.

In all three of those Premier League games we created a hatful of chances - we just didn't score them. Depending on which model you use, we were close to an xG of 3 each time.

Being "worked out" doesn't involve letting a side create a lot and then hoping they fail to convert.

We seem to be infected with Potter-itis - let's just hope it passes soon.
I'd rather work off of ACTUAL goals rather than xG.

I see your point though and 100% agree with your last sentence.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Technically we beat Palace so that leaves one defeat to Fulham who are a decent side.
We are never going to win 4-0 every week in this league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here