Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icelandic wunderkid

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
In terms of footballing exports (Valur Gislason aside), Iceland really does punch above its own weight - the entire country's population is just 320,000 (which isn't that much more than that of Brighton & Hove), yet they have produced numerous players who have featured in the Premier League, Championship, Bundesliga and other big clubs across Europe.

Their national side are also still in with a shout of qualifying for the next World Cup - what an achievement that would be.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
In terms of footballing exports (Valur Gislason aside), Iceland really does punch above its own weight - the entire country's population is just 320,000 (which isn't that much more than that of Brighton & Hove), yet they have produced numerous players who have featured in the Premier League, Championship, Bundesliga and other big clubs across Europe.

Their national side are also still in with a shout of qualifying for the next World Cup - what an achievement that would be.

But maybe a promising 16 year old no better than a good Brightonian young player but fast tracked to international recognition, access to senior European coaches, games in front of big crowds in big stadium, great experience gained under the eyes of international scouts.

Brightonian player, Hove Rivervale,coached by Harry Ramsden, League Representative, in front of 'one man and his dog' and a chance to trial for Shoreham.

The developmental pathway due to its size and European standing can offer opportunity, which is always important.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
But maybe a promising 16 year old no better than a good Brightonian young player but fast tracked to international recognition, access to senior European coaches, games in front of big crowds in big stadium, great experience gained under the eyes of international scouts.

Brightonian player, Hove Rivervale,coached by Harry Ramsden, League Representative, in front of 'one man and his dog' and a chance to trial for Shoreham.

The developmental pathway due to its size and European standing can offer opportunity, which is always important.

Very much this......... but we could be so much better as a country. Moving in the right direction but 20 years behind most of Europe, whether smaller, larger or similarly sized nations.

IcelandicGeezer

Apr 15, 2013
Decided to have a look around the place again, only to find this thread is now five pages long!! I have also noticed some decent contributers on here. Apparently the deal is not done with Larusson and he flew to Germany to train with a Bundesliga club after playing for the Iceland U-17's at the weekend. Could be Stuttgart or Wolfsburg I think.

Looking back, I should have used IcelandicGeyser, not Geezer but I am not that witty it seems in english.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Decided to have a look around the place again
:clap2: :banana: :rock: :ascarf: :O :cheery:

Apparently the deal is not done with Larusson and he flew to Germany to train with a Bundesliga club after playing for the Iceland U-17's at the weekend. Could be Stuttgart or Wolfsburg I think.
:eek: :angry: :wrong:

Feb 12, 2013
I'm no expert on our youth set up, but that is clearly nonsense. Are you really trying to suggest that we don't have the resources to retain TWO strikers in one age group, if both are considered to have enough potential?

I don't know Overton, and I wish him a long and successful career in the game, but if the Albion released him at 15, it's because the coaches did not feel he was quite good enough, not because we brought in a player from elsewhere.

All I'm going to say is I've spoken to a few lads at the club who don't rate this new kid, their opinion not mine. If they didn't think he was good enough, why did he have Man City looking at him? At no point do I mention finances, you have come to that conclusion - as we play with one up front even in the youth team, Overton has gone for this guy as we prefer to have players that can play on the wing and up front as back up

IcelandicGeezer

Apr 15, 2013
All I'm going to say is I've spoken to a few lads at the club who don't rate this new kid, their opinion not mine. If they didn't think he was good enough, why did he have Man City looking at him? At no point do I mention finances, you have come to that conclusion - as we play with one up front even in the youth team, Overton has gone for this guy as we prefer to have players that can play on the wing and up front as back up

I guess they only saw him during his trial period which is quite nervewrecking for alot of players, especially a 15 yr old in a foreign country. The scouts checked him out in few internationals also. Newest information is that maybe you shouldnt worry about him donning the Brighton shirt as he is now training with another club.

Feb 12, 2013
I guess they only saw him during his trial period which is quite nervewrecking for alot of players, especially a 15 yr old in a foreign country. The scouts checked him out in few internationals also. Newest information is that maybe you shouldnt worry about him donning the Brighton shirt as he is now training with another club.

Pal if he's good enough for the u-17s and the coaches then he's good enough for me, just what they said. Interesting what you're saying about him being with another club, what changed in the last day? People I have spoken to seem to think he's joined

IcelandicGeezer

Apr 15, 2013
Pal if he's good enough for the u-17s and the coaches then he's good enough for me, just what they said. Interesting what you're saying about him being with another club, what changed in the last day? People I have spoken to seem to think he's joined

Dont know but he had good games for the U17s in tournament in Wales at the weekend and is reported to have flown to Germany straight after to an unknown club. Dont know the details, not confirmed though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Are you and our new Icelandic chum, talking about two entirely different players, do you think? Are you talking about Emil Assmundsen?

IcelandicGeezer

Apr 15, 2013
Are you and our new Icelandic chum, talking about two entirely different players, do you think? Are you talking about Emil Assmundsen?

I am not talking about Asmundsson, have not seen him that often and he has never caught my eye. Talked to some in the know yesterday and they were surprised he had moved abroad while another said he is a carbon copy of Aron Gunnarsson at Cardiff. All I can say he has never impressed my, unlike Larusson whom I am reffering to.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Dont know but he had good games for the U17s in tournament in Wales at the weekend and is reported to have flown to Germany straight after to an unknown club. Dont know the details, not confirmed though.

It was in our match day programme that he had already signed with the rest of next season's under 18s, all a bit confusing!

IcelandicGeezer

Apr 15, 2013
Sorry for bumping this thread up but 15 yr old Larusson made his first team debut for IA Akranes in the Icelandic League Cup tonight and scored the 2nd goal in a 2-4 loss.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sorry for bumping this thread up but 15 yr old Larusson made his first team debut for IA Akranes in the Icelandic League Cup tonight and scored the 2nd goal in a 2-4 loss.

Always good news that any youngster is enjoying his football and seems to be progressing no matter who it is and where he is playing.

However the wider point in terms of his potential within English professional football is that maybe the Icelandic status in terms of population and its own football culture and structure probably doesnt offer a sure signal of what his level might be.

You must remember that we had our own successful Olympiad and International star in the 80's, he was by far the most gifted and most successful ski jumper we as a nation had ever known......I give you Eddie the Eagle and you lot and your Nordic friends quickly dismissed his successes ...... it makes some sense if you think about it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Absolutely. Hermann Hreidarsson has played for five Premier League clubs (and been relegated with all of them).

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I'm no expert on our youth set up, but that is clearly nonsense. Are you really trying to suggest that we don't have the resources to retain TWO strikers in one age group, if both are considered to have enough potential?

I don't know Overton, and I wish him a long and successful career in the game, but if the Albion released him at 15, it's because the coaches did not feel he was quite good enough, not because we brought in a player from elsewhere.
But sometimes mistakes are made....remember we turned down Ian Wright after a trial because he was too small...not that he went on to be a great footballer was it ?

Oct 25, 2003
But sometimes mistakes are made....remember we turned down Ian Wright after a trial because he was too small...not that he went on to be a great footballer was it ?

mistakes are made by every single club in the country, you basically have to make a decision on a player fairly early in his development and some players (like wright) are simply late bloomers, whereas others who may show bags of potential aged 16 or whatever simply don't make it

coaches can only make a decision based on what is in front of them....i don't think many of them have access to a crystal ball/time machine

buster17

Jun 9, 2013
I have heard a lot about this kid Overton,and have heard that he chose to leave because he didn't think their decision was fair after scoring double figures before christmas!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here