Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icelandic wunderkid

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Happy we've signed him and all that, but clealy we have lost Callum Overton because of this. He was given an extention and left to Wimbledon. This Icelandic lad may be better, but there's a large part of me that would rather see a Brighton based lad that has been at the club for 6 odd years come through then an Icelandic or any other foreign lad. I believe the club doesn't have enough Sussex born players coming through

Yep, you get a lot of home grown talent at the top of the Premiership.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Happy we've signed him and all that, but clealy we have lost Callum Overton because of this. He was given an extention and left to Wimbledon. This Icelandic lad may be better, but there's a large part of me that would rather see a Brighton based lad that has been at the club for 6 odd years come through then an Icelandic or any other foreign lad. I believe the club doesn't have enough Sussex born players coming through

There are a lot of local lads in the academy, at least in the U15's where this new lad is heading.

Feb 12, 2013
Yep, you get a lot of home grown talent at the top of the Premiership.

Could be wrong here, but I'm going to take that as sarcastic and tell you that you are a fool.

City have plenty of English talent, including Micah Richards who was made at the club.

United have Scholes, Giggs, Evans, Fletcher, Cleverly, Welbeck.

Liverpool Gerrard & Carragher, Chelsea Terry, Arsenal Gibbs & Wilshere.

All of them are English except Evans and Fletcher who moved to Manchester at a very young age and were schooled at United for years before coming through.

Sorry if I've misread what you're saying but your post looks very sarcastic

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand

The lad they let go to Wimbledon was very useful, went to the same school as Adam Hinshlewood. Seems to strange we are letting English players go. That's football life I guess.

Feb 12, 2013
The lad they let go to Wimbledon was very useful, went to the same school as Adam Hinshlewood. Seems to strange we are letting English players go. That's football life I guess.

If I'm honest pal I don't know him but I am his age and seen him play, if it was him he scored 2 v Charlton in an U16 game, we lost 4-2. We've signed 6 scholars for next season that are English and from Sussex, so hopefully these lads get top coaching and can hopefully make it.. couple of them have a real chance of making it

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Do love NSC, managed to scare off a new poster who did nothing wrong and have some writing off a 15 year old kid in one thread.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Ragnar Larusson will be a scholar next season; he'll be playing in the youth team (U-18s), not the U-15s.

He might meet a few of the U15's next season, many of them are playing up a year at the moment, so next season they may upgrade again.
In fact i'm sure the new fellow played last weekend for the U16's against Cambridge, i think he played on the wing and was a cut above.

Dec 29, 2011
Could be wrong here, but I'm going to take that as sarcastic and tell you that you are a fool.

Micah Richards who was made at the club.
Cleverly, Welbeck.
Gibbs & Wilshere.

Sorry if I've misread what you're saying but your post looks very sarcastic

I've taken out the ones that didn't come through in the last 8 years. You really think 5 home grown players in the top four clubs can be considered 'a lot of homegrown talent'?

Feb 12, 2013
I've taken out the ones that didn't come through in the last 8 years. You really think 5 home grown players in the top four clubs can be considered 'a lot of homegrown talent'?

That's only from 3 clubs though? Arsenal, United and City can afford much better foreign players, for them to bring through any local lads is an achievement when they can pluck whoever they want from anywhere in the world. 3 of them play regularly for England, whilst Richards has and Gibbs/Bertrand will when Cole retires.

Judging from your criteria that players can only come through from the last 8 years, of the current England squad only 9 of 23 players are 25 or under. The clubs are United (2), Spurs (2), Shrewsbury , Newcastle, Saints, Chelsea and Fulham. United, Spurs and Chelsea are responsible for 5 of the 8; so judging by your criteria at the top end of the premier league, English players are actually produced by the big teams

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Surprised no one has mentioned Bale yet. I know he is Welsh but still one of the most wanted players in Europe and comes from these isles.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Happy we've signed him and all that, but clealy we have lost Callum Overton because of this. He was given an extention and left to Wimbledon.

I'm no expert on our youth set up, but that is clearly nonsense. Are you really trying to suggest that we don't have the resources to retain TWO strikers in one age group, if both are considered to have enough potential?

I don't know Overton, and I wish him a long and successful career in the game, but if the Albion released him at 15, it's because the coaches did not feel he was quite good enough, not because we brought in a player from elsewhere.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm no expert on our youth set up, but that is clearly nonsense. Are you really trying to suggest that we don't have the resources to retain TWO strikers in one age group, if both are considered to have enough potential?

I don't know Overton, and I wish him a long and successful career in the game, but if the Albion released him at 15, it's because the coaches did not feel he was quite good enough, not because we brought in a player from elsewhere.

I agree with 99% of that.

Its just that bit I am not so sure, decisions made and players brought in always effect those that await a decision on retention.

I think the critical thing is to ensure those brought in are genuinely better than those already there, it can be a vulnerable period at the younger age groups, sometimes they can be more casually disposable than at any other period of a players career.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree with 99% of that.

Its just that bit I am not so sure, decisions made and players brought in always effect those that await a decision on retention.

I think the critical thing is to ensure those brought in are genuinely better than those already there, it can be a vulnerable period at the younger age groups, sometimes they can be more casually disposable than at any other period of a players career.

Fair points. It's a tough time for these kids. My nephew is in the Leeds academy set up. He's u-14 but has been playing up two groups at u-16, so he'll be seeing a lot of those team-mates let go in the next few weeks.

The harsh fact remains though, that those that are demonstrably the best players, will be the ones kept on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here