Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icelandic wunderkid

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Seems to be some confusion - there is also an Icelandic player in the dev squad called Asmundsson. Ragnar Laruson is a first year scholar.

IcelandicGeezer

Apr 15, 2013
Seems to be some confusion - there is also an Icelandic player in the dev squad called Asmundsson. Ragnar Laruson is a first year scholar.

Larusson was signed a bit later than Asmundsson. He's very highly rated and is keeping young Ajax striker, who scores for fun for their youth teams Ottar Magnus Karlsson in the shadows. If he keeps on developing he could be a player but way too early to tell. Asmundsson is krap, I havent see him play but someone who has watched him in action a fair bit says he's useless and will never make it abroad.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ragnar Mar Larusson posted on his twitter feed on Saturday that "Finally, the game authorization arrived!" (or at least, that is what Google translate tells me he posted, as I don't speak Icelandic). I'm taking that to mean that we have been awaiting international clearance for him.

This would explain why he has only appeared for the U-18s in friendly matches so far (he certainly hasn't been injured, as he has already played for the Icelandic U-17s side 7 times since August, scoring 4 goals in the process).

He also tweeted something about a Tottenham game "next Wednesday", so there may be a match against a Spurs Academy side coming up.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Let me be more precise with my answer; he hasn't appeared in any of the U-18 league games so far this season. He HAS appeared in friendlies against Arsenal (scoring once) and Eastbourne Borough (scoring five times).

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it. I must say, this whole having a supposedly talented youth player coming through is rather exciting!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Asmundsson scored against palace for the U21's tonight in a 2-2 draw. He'll do for me.

:)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Asmundsson scored against palace for the U21's tonight in a 2-2 draw. He'll do for me.

:)

I saw this lad about an hour ago in Worthing, complete with Albion track suit, backpack & 'Beats by Dre' in RED

IcelandicGeezer

Apr 15, 2013
The 16 yr old Larusson apparently scored 2 goals and earned a penalty in a 3-2 win for the reserves against Charlton today.

Dec 29, 2011
The 16 yr old Larusson apparently scored 2 goals and earned a penalty in a 3-2 win for the reserves against Charlton today.

There are no reserves anymore. You mean the development squad? Or the U18's?

Seems to be the dev squad, write up here, couldn't find anything for the Brighton end

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20131211-u21s-charlton-2-brighton-hove-albion-3-1230203.aspx

Further research finds this thread on the game: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discu...ly-v-brighton-edit-lost-2-3-but-solly-started

The interesting line,
All 3 Brighton goals came through a left winger who is only about 17 - looks a decent prospect.

Last edited:

IcelandicGeezer

Apr 15, 2013
There are no reserves anymore. You mean the development squad? Or the U18's?

Seems to be the dev squad, write up here, couldn't find anything for the Brighton end

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20131211-u21s-charlton-2-brighton-hove-albion-3-1230203.aspx

Further research finds this thread on the game: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discu...ly-v-brighton-edit-lost-2-3-but-solly-started

The interesting line,
All 3 Brighton goals came through a left winger who is only about 17 - looks a decent prospect.

Maybe Brighton are trying to convert him to a left winger but he is a striker by trade and plays as such for the Iceland youth teams.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
"Poyet, Pyke, Daniel, Munns, Azeez, Sho-Silva and Pigott are all rubbish and must be sold "

Knives out for Poyet junior

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Maybe Brighton are trying to convert him to a left winger but he is a striker by trade and plays as such for the Iceland youth teams.

I think it's more a case of integrating him into the under 21s without the pressure of being the main striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here