Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] I now own one of these "smartphone" thingies...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
not so much amazed at Swanny not having a smart phone, but the fact that he actually has a job. Chief Pizza tester for the Scandinavian Conspiricy Theory Think Tank perhaps?
That'd be sweet. But no I'm a freelance writer and as of recently also a freelance... talker (well, audio recorder for companies that create speech-things similar to Alexa).

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Useful apps on my phone include
ALEXA - for turning off and on smart things remotely
RING - for answering doorbell remotely
Online banking App -
WATCH - for my Apple Watch
BHA -
GETT - similar to Uber for ordering taxis in London
WHAT 3 Words
TRAINLINE - to purchase and store tickets in Apple Wallet

Various birding apps, news apps, weather apps and video conferencing apps

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My two most used apps - beyond Outlook email, WhatsApp, Google, Albion, etc.

Hive - to control my home's energy use [water & heating via the phone is super useful]
Ring - so I can answer my doorbell / see who's outside my house when I'm not there.

I find these both "super-cool"

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Other than the obvious banking, shopping, parking, email, photo etc....

PlantNet, Mushrooms app, BirdNet, BirdUp, OS Maps, what3words, TrainSplit, Sonos, Perfect Piano, Metronone Beats, HeatmiserNeo, Kindle and another vote for Stellarium

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
"What3Words" app is handy. Well, you'd hope you wouldn't have to use it but could save a life if you ever did need it.

You may or may not know that every square metre in the world has been assigned a unique, random three word code. "Bread/Slab/Broom" for example.

If you ever found yourself in trouble or came across someone who needs medical assistance for example, in a place you are unfamiliar with anywhere in the world, you look on the phone app and it will tell you what three word code you are standing in. I recommend if you have children who are out and about a lot that you and them get it on your phones.

You tell that to the emergency call handler and they can instantly and accurately locate you. It's a genuine life-saver. I have used it at work a few times and located missing children and vulnerable adults through it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Whilst on the subject of Technology

I bought an istar box and last night I got a prompt to say a new version was available so I clicked on it and now can't get any changes.

Do I need to insert the code again. If so then how do I find out what the code. I went into the my account section and it gave me the option of retrieving code but I don't know the code as someone came round and set it up for me .

It isn't a WiFi issue because it still indicates I am connected to the WiFi

Also how do you get all Terrestrial Channels on a Samsung Smart TV. It has all these hundreds of channels but no easy access to all the UK terrestrial TV.

All this having to login to everything is shit

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Other than the obvious banking, shopping, parking, email, photo etc....

PlantNet, Mushrooms app, BirdNet, BirdUp, OS Maps, what3words, TrainSplit, Sonos, Perfect Piano, Metronone Beats, HeatmiserNeo, Kindle and another vote for Stellarium
Fotmob.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
My favourite / most used app is OS Maps, but I guess that wouldn’t be much use to Swanny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here