Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] I now own one of these "smartphone" thingies...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I've got an app that lets me use my phone as a borescope.
And another one that does car diagnostics.
But my best app, gives me all the cricket scores.
I'm not going to bother counting them, but I'd guess about half the apps that I have actively downloaded myself, are for paying for car parks.
What is it with these car parking apps and why do they consistently charge more and get less and less useful? I had to perform bank verification for a transaction of £1 the other day?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
What is it with these car parking apps and why do they consistently charge more and get less and less useful? I had to perform bank verification for a transaction of £1 the other day?
I think it's spite on the part of the people who make them.
Seriously though, I think the government could do everybody a service by coordinating so we don't have to download a new app in every single town we try and park in.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep, mate had the same thing parking at Brighton Station before the Villa game (for a bit more than a quid). Luckily you can also get an actual ticket out of an actual ticket machine there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can thoroughly recommend the Covid Vaccine booking app, the BBC and the Jewish Chronicle :moo:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've been resisting for years as it destroys mankind.

But if you can't beat it... join it. Plus I had to get one for work purposes.

Are there any super-duper-cool apps that I should check out?
Are you still on dial up for internet connection or just an 80 year old pretending to be a Swedish young gun? :wink:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I find this free translator app very useful. You can translate in a number of ways. You can write the text. You can photograph the text (useful for languages like Japanese which you cant type in yourself) or you can speak into it or play audio recordings into it.

Ive tried all methods and all work to acceptable and useful levels. I photographed some Japanese text and entered it. , i dont know how accurate the translation was but it was good enough to give me the translation I needed. It has even worked when ive photographed quite blurry text and even on hand written text.

Obviously if you are doing a voice recording you have to make sure your pronunciation of the foreign language is good otherwise you get some interesting results. I was demonstrating this method of translation to someone only the other day so i spoke the first line in French of Edith Piaf's song "La Vie en Rose", the first line of which is "Des yieux qui font baiser les miens". My pronunciation of the last two words "les miens" obviously wasnt good enough and it interpreted them as "Damien" with rather interesting results (see attached screenshot).

This translator app is free. There might be other better ones out there but this has served me well for my purposes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221121-025709_Translate.jpg
    Screenshot_20221121-025709_Translate.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 28

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I've been resisting for years as it destroys mankind.

But if you can't beat it... join it. Plus I had to get one for work purposes.

I like Ventusky for checking the weather.
I also really like Stellarium which lets you check stars and constellations in the night sky

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Cars and London (shudder) I will take your word for it. RingGo for some dumb reason wants to use your mobile number as a username. What is that about?
I really can’t remember I’ve been logged in for years. Unfortunately I have to drive and park in London daily it’s not to bad once you get to know all the short cuts and best parking places. I try to avoid any job in the congestion Zone unless the customer can book residents parking.

Back on Apps I can’t function without Waze great for a free App.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I find this free translator app very useful. You can translate in a number of ways. You can write the text. You can photograph the text (useful for languages like Japanese which you cant type in yourself) or you can speak into it or play audio recordings into it.

Ive tried all methods and all work to acceptable and useful levels. I photographed some Japanese text and entered it. , i dont know how accurate the translation was but it was good enough to give me the translation I needed. It has even worked when ive photographed quite blurry text and even on hand written text.

Obviously if you are doing a voice recording you have to make sure your pronunciation of the foreign language is good otherwise you get some interesting results. I was demonstrating this method of translation to someone only the other day so i spoke the first line in French of Edith Piaf's song "La Vie en Rose", the first line of which is "Des yieux qui font baiser les miens". My pronunciation of the last two words "les miens" obviously wasnt good enough and it interpreted them as "Damien" with rather interesting results (see attached screenshot).

This translator app is free. There might be other better ones out there but this has served me well for my purposes

Indeed sounds like a useful app. Will have that in mind whenever I go somewhere where people can't speak English (or Swedish...)
I like Ventusky for checking the weather.
I also really like Stellarium which lets you check stars and constellations in the night sky
The weather is what it is but Stellarium sounds fun, definitely going to check that one out.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
not so much amazed at Swanny not having a smart phone, but the fact that he actually has a job. Chief Pizza tester for the Scandinavian Conspiricy Theory Think Tank perhaps?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Indeed sounds like a useful app. Will have that in mind whenever I go somewhere where people can't speak English (or Swedish...)

The weather is what it is but Stellarium sounds fun, definitely going to check that one out.
Stellarium is great. I used it a lot over the pandemic when going for evening walks, and learnt a lot about which stars are which in the night sky.

Its also great if you're just out and see a really bright star, and want to know what it is, because its really easy to use and find out what it is.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How in holy hell have you got by without Swish and BankId in Sweden? :oops:
Well I used to be able to receive Swish (only need a number of that, not a phone) but not send any... pretty nice.

I've had BankID on my computer so not too much trouble, though it will definitely be smoother now.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
not so much amazed at Swanny not having a smart phone, but the fact that he actually has a job. Chief Pizza tester for the Scandinavian Conspiricy Theory Think Tank perhaps?
How does he get time to do a job as well as post endlessly on here and watch every football match in Europe?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Music messenger - clever app that allows users to send each other songs from their music library. Plus it’s Israeli made so that will please Swansman …

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here