Hyypia starting to get frustrated

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we have one at the moment? Where is the line between blind faith, concerned and bed wetting? I can't imagine there is an Albion fan who thinks we are ready to go with the squad we have?

Depends on what you want - there are some on here parading their superfan credentials saying they would be overjoyed by 12th place. Perfectly possible for the existing squad to shoot for that.

Obviously no hope of anything more appealing than that.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Given , that we let Orlandi and PIG go (and assuming they have not signed elsewhere) would you have them back if they were to sign as in similar circumstances to Spanish Dave last season ?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Given , that we let Orlandi and PIG go (and assuming they have not signed elsewhere) would you have them back if they were to sign as in similar circumstances to Spanish Dave last season ?

Would take Orlandi back if he could prove his fitness. Would certainly prefer PIG to Ankergren as well but still hoping we will get a new keeper as good as/better than PIG...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Depends on what you want - there are some on here parading their superfan credentials saying they would be overjoyed by 12th place. Perfectly possible for the existing squad to shoot for that.

Obviously no hope of anything more appealing than that.

I doubt we'd be in anything but a relegation battle with the current squad. Once injuries, suspensions and our lack of decent cover all over the field are exposed this squad would go into freefall imo. Hopefully we'll never find out if I am being too pessimistic as TB surely cannot let us go into the season without at least 4 or 5 more players, even if they are seasoned journeymen. I can see how he might want us to mark time and wait for the academy to start producing but I can't believe he's going to sit back and do nothing, in the meantime, after selling and releasing most of our best players.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings

Would have them both back if we've not got anyone better lined up, clearly players are holding out for the best offers so it will go right to the wire.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
For a good insight into what Tony Bloom himself thinks of our recruitment team (“I’m very happy [with the recruitment team] and David Burke is doing an excellent job”),
his view on why Oscar really left the club, and what really happened in the last window with Bridcutt, El Abd, Barnes, Grabban and Rodriguez, Oscar's actual involvement in transfers and targets last season and how this differed from his previous single year in management at Tel Aviv, then recommend this interview with TB and the BBC's Johnny Cantor from only a few weeks ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27412432

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
For a good insight into what Tony Bloom himself thinks of our recruitment team (“I’m very happy [with the recruitment team] and David Burke is doing an excellent job”),
his view on why Oscar really left the club, and what really happened in the last window with Bridcutt, El Abd, Barnes, Grabban and Rodriguez, Oscar's actual involvement in transfers and targets last season and how this differed from his previous single year in management at Tel Aviv, then recommend this interview with TB and the BBC's Johnny Cantor from only a few weeks ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27412432

I am sure that Burke does a good job with what he has, but could we get someone more persuasive?

In a few years time TB will be thanking him for all his good work, but will also say that it was time for both parties to move on.

All I hear are words that have been put together that would fit every situation and what we want to hear. A bit like reading the horoscopes and that every star sign could actually relate to everyone.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All I hear are words that have been put together that would fit every situation and what we want to hear. A bit like reading the horoscopes and that every star sign could actually relate to everyone.

That interview is 17 minutes long and is a frank detailed conversation with TB that goes into great detail about what the recruitment team does, how Oscar worked with them last year. Its not "been put together to fit every situation".

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That interview is 17 minutes long and is a frank detailed conversation with TB that goes into great detail about what the recruitment team does, how Oscar worked with them last year. Its not "been put together to fit every situation".

I listened to it in May, and it is not much different to the one we heard after Poyet.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I almost agree with you. To me, it all depends on the Ulloa replacement. If we can find someone as good or better we could make the play-offs. Yes we need a GK, LB & an attacking midfielder, but the striker is the most pressing by a country mile. I saw enough of Walton to say he's a very very good keeper - ideally we will get another, but his rise means a replacement striker becomes easily the most urgent requirement

Think you're right. Ulloa replacement and Ward are the priorities. Then a goalkeeper and then, hopefully, Lingard on a season-long loan, or another attacking midfield player.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I doubt we'd be in anything but a relegation battle with the current squad. Once injuries, suspensions and our lack of decent cover all over the field are exposed this squad would go into freefall imo. Hopefully we'll never find out if I am being too pessimistic as TB surely cannot let us go into the season without at least 4 or 5 more players, even if they are seasoned journeymen. I can see how he might want us to mark time and wait for the academy to start producing but I can't believe he's going to sit back and do nothing, in the meantime, after selling and releasing most of our best players.

You are being way too pessimistic. I'm hoping to see quality signings or season-long loans for: striker; left back (Ward); goalkeeper; wide attacking player (Lingard) -- in that order of priority. I'd much rather we had four quality additions, than six that are less so. Then we can give those youngsters that played last year (Dunk, Chicksen, JFC, Ince and March) plenty of game time, and those youngsters coming through (particularly Walton and Fenelon) a decent airing to cup competitions and maybe even some Championship games.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You are being way too pessimistic. I'm hoping to see quality signings or season-long loans for: striker; left back (Ward); goalkeeper; wide attacking player (Lingard) -- in that order of priority. I'd much rather we had four quality additions, than six that are less so. Then we can give those youngsters that played last year (Dunk, Chicksen, JFC, Ince and March) plenty of game time, and those youngsters coming through (particularly Walton and Fenelon) a decent airing to cup competitions and maybe even some Championship games.

My point was that if we don't get in 4 or 5 quality players we will struggle. Are you really disagreeing with that? Can you honestly see this squad challenging as it is at the moment? We may have found a decent keeper, a fantastic one even, but we cannot rely on Walton as our keeper just yet, so we need an experienced keeper who is better than Ankergren. Casper is cover not a no 1 these days. LB? Chicksen may come good but it's going to be a risk playing him as our number one LB. Upfront we are very very lightweight ( I say this knowing nothing about COG) and will need to find a natural goalscorer with ability at this level. Tall order in itself. We may already have enough in midfield although a genuinely creative player would be nice. (come on Kemy, that could be you!). We may even just about have enough at CB if we use Ince as cover if needed but it will be risky not to acquire at least one more CB.

If we do not fill these places adequately, we will definitely struggle imo and I'm surprised you think that's a pessimistic view.

All this will of course become irrelevant waffle when the club announce three quality signings this evening :wink:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I can understand why both fans and the manager would be frustrated as we have had a succession of seasons where we have not been able to utilise pre season effectively.

This summer the club wasted no time cutting the squad right back and whilst I think we have got the right man in we have to back him with signings and give him a fighting chance of bedding them in before the season is underway. Early season momentum is so important.

We are all hoping we are worrying unnecessarily but with so few weeks to go and not even rumours of us being linked with adequate replacements you can understand why many are starting to raise eyebrows

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I almost agree with you. To me, it all depends on the Ulloa replacement. If we can find someone as good or better we could make the play-offs. Yes we need a GK, LB & an attacking midfielder, but the striker is the most pressing by a country mile. I saw enough of Walton to say he's a very very good keeper - ideally we will get another, but his rise means a replacement striker becomes easily the most urgent requirement

Yes, a very good point. It all hinges on who we get in for Ulloa. Perhaps the fee received has opened the door to signings that previously we didn't think we could attract. I still think you need a squad to make the play-offs and even with a superb striker we need more strength/depth across the park,

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Just hope Sammi doesn't get too disillusioned with the situation and decide to take a walk as a few of the internet rumours are suggesting. I'm not saying he's a quitter, but funnier things have happened in football management over the years. Please Bloom, Barber, and Burke give Sammi some positive news in the next week so he can start to shape the team as he wants.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just hope Sammi doesn't get too disillusioned with the situation and decide to take a walk as a few of the internet rumours are suggesting. I'm not saying he's a quitter, but funnier things have happened in football management over the years. s.

Can't see this happening but if it did we WOULD become a laughing stock and with reason, taking into account the Sammy Lee saga. As a point of interest where are these rumours, 1st I've heard of it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, where are these internet rumours ? Would be interesting to see that exact wording.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see how this year is any different tha the last two, With a little more endeavour and push during the season we could now be in The Premier at the moment I see no difference and am sure that come 1st September we will have a competitive squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports