Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia starting to get frustrated

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The ink on the cheque for ULLOA hasn't even dried yet

I hope you're not suggesting that we are getting the full amount up front?
I would guess the initial payment to be in the region of £2.5 - £3.0m and the balance spread over two years at quarterly payments of approx £500k+
The club will not be awash with money, as some fans are suggesting.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I agree that it helps to hit the ground running but the first month or so doesn't normally define the season. Take the first season at the Amex. All the new signings in place, full of confidence, bit of luck, 16 points from the first 6 games. Did we storm the division. No, we came 10th.
We will be getting new faces in and some of them will have had a pre-season at other clubs. Tenth, fourth and sixth in the last three years is solid form and despite many personnel changes, we still finished in the top half. It demonstrates that the club has a solid foundation and that will continue. Despite some of the doom and gloom on here, I am confident we will be top half again and likely play-off contenders.

Your optimism is welcomed by many, but your realistic likely play off contenders dreams are exactly that...

This squad needs some solid signings if it is to be challenging for play off spots.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I would guess the initial payment to be in the region of £2.5 - £3.0m and the balance spread over two years at quarterly payments of approx £500k+
So you haven't a clue either then.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
We are going backwards - this year, we have sold Bridcutt, Barnes and Ulloa, and not directly replaced any of them (OK, I know that it is too soon to have replaced Ulloa, but I can't see us doing so anyway).

Several players seem to have turned us down in favour of signing for our rivals - yes, I know that other clubs are prepared to pay higher salaries than us, but it also suggests that 'the Amex factor' is no longer an attraction.

The reviews of last night's friendly against Crawley suggest the same old same old - sideway passing, disinterested players with no passion or energy, one lone striker up-front, and a complete lack of quality in the final third of the pitch. Have we learned nothing from last season?

I reckon mid-table mediocrity beckons this season - rarely in 30 years supporting the Albion have I felt as underwhelmed or unexcited about the new season.

If this makes me a bed-wetter, then fine; my mattress is soaked in p*ss :rolleyes:

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
We are going backwards - this year, we have sold Bridcutt, Barnes and Ulloa, and not directly replaced any of them (OK, I know that it is too soon to have replaced Ulloa, but I can't see us doing so anyway).

Several players seem to have turned us down in favour of signing for our rivals - yes, I know that other clubs are prepared to pay higher salaries than us, but it also suggests that 'the Amex factor' is no longer an attraction.

The reviews of last night's friendly against Crawley suggest the same old same old - sideway passing, disinterested players with no passion or energy, one lone striker up-front, and a complete lack of quality in the final third of the pitch. Have we learned nothing from last season?

I reckon mid-table mediocrity beckons this season - rarely in 30 years supporting the Albion have I felt as underwhelmed or unexcited about the new season.

If this makes me a bed-wetter, then fine; my mattress is soaked in p*ss :rolleyes:

You are not alone.....

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Every pre season is filled with panic strewn uber pra*s throwing a wobbly before the season has even started.

At least wait a third of the way through the season before you write us off into the abyss that is 12th place.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Now the Argus has finally heard of mobile friendly content I'm glad the OP posted the mobile link. It looks better on the p.c. than their normal site and doesn't have the annoying talking advert kicking in that announces to the world that you're reading a third rate local paper.

Naylor seems to have an agenda against the club. Our status as far as the squad goes is really no different to how it was on Tuesday except we've had the frustration of a draw against the local aggro merchants with all three of our new signings missing it due to injury or illness. If I was Hyppia it would be that which was frustrating me. All the article does is put a negative slant on those comments from Sami and stick them, on the mobile enabled version, next to comments from the usual Argus drongos.

We were always going to have to conclude the Ulloa saga before we finalised our budget and that relied on Leicester coming back with the right offer. I would hope and expect that we would reinvest at least 5 million of that in the three key areas we need to strengthen and then we will have a pretty decent squad AND have paid off £3M worth of debt / FFP obligations. If we fill those spots, instead, with average journeymen or, worse, not at all, THEN I'll join the ranks of the worried. However it remains my opinion that we will strengthen adequately.
Excellent post and couldn't agree more.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Sums up my views as well. One day, I'd like to see us leading from the front when it comes to signing good quality players rather than having to rely on loanees or has beens

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A little concerned now. Gk, LB & ST needed as a minimum for me before the first game.

Walton is pretty decent. No need for a GK before the first game, but one by transfer deadline day would be good.

A very decent striker though has to be a top priority asap.

LB as a 2nd priority, before game 1.

We then need a creative midfielder and a wide attacker.

We need them all, but only the lethal striker is the absolute essential before the Sheff Wednesday game.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

But when we buy it will be on the same basis so in theory we do have the money to spend

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I said this weeks ago and got slated for my negativity " we will be scraping the bottom of the rotting bargain bucket that everyone else has rifled through already " 2- 3 weeks before the season starts !
Its the same every season, some people need to take off the Blue and White tinted glasses they keep looking through and see the reality at the club.
I dont expect £10million signings two days after each season finishes, but Sami is totally right to become frustrated at this.
HAND IN POCKETS ALBION BUY SOME DECENT BLOODY PLAYERS !!!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Walton is pretty decent. No need for a GK before the first game, but one by transfer deadline day would be good.

A very decent striker though has to be a top priority asap.

LB as a 2nd priority, before game 1.

We then need a creative midfielder and a wide attacker.

We need them all, but only the lethal striker is the absolute essential before the Sheff Wednesday game.
I have to disagree nowhere near ready for championship football and not sure it would be fair on him either. Needs to gain some experience out on loan in the lower leagues, hes a prospect but clearly not ready yet IMO of course.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Last night was worrying. I'm not surprised by the tone of the newspaper story this morning. Still, it should have made things a little clearer as to what we need to compete.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
When you watch the interview and see the context in which he said what he said, it's obvious he's not unhappy with the recruitment process. He's keen for players to come in, but doesn't seem to be too frustrated

Thats how I saw it. Not frustrated more phlegmatic.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Last night was worrying. I'm not surprised by the tone of the newspaper story this morning. Still, it should have made things a little clearer as to what we need to compete.

Hopefully, one of our signings should also be able to take a decent corner. Like last season (and many seasons before that) our corners were woeful last night. Is nobody capable of taking a corner and hitting it in at pace (and ideally beyond the first man?)? I wonder what actually happens at our shiny, new training ground?

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
I said this weeks ago and got slated for my negativity " we will be scraping the bottom of the rotting bargain bucket that everyone else has rifled through already " 2- 3 weeks before the season starts !
Its the same every season, some people need to take off the Blue and White tinted glasses they keep looking through and see the reality at the club.
I dont expect £10million signings two days after each season finishes, but Sami is totally right to become frustrated at this.

This

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

This x 10.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Come on Sami is not frustrated with the club, if he is frustrated it would be with the transfer system and getting the targets he and club feel are worth perusing.I would also imagine if these targets are any good then we will not be the only ones perusing them which would result in the "frustration".

Sami is not frustrated with the club, he is looking forward to a fresh and exciting chapter in his and the clubs future, and so should we....

Stop looking for problems, life is full of them and this is not one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here