Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Human Rights….

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Why are they breaching court injunctions? Because the government passed the laws which made it illegal to protest.

It is not illegal to protest. Protest however must be in accordance with the law.

It is unlawful to block roads and infrastructure (hasn’t that always been the case).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is not illegal to protest. Protest however must be in accordance with the law.

It is unlawful to block roads and infrastructure (hasn’t that always been the case).

The new laws give carte blanche for the police or government to ban nearly all types of protest on a case by case basis. There are enough new clauses in the act to apply to any and all types of public protest.

It’s not that protest has been banned but that any individual protest can potentially be banned or halted.

It’s quite a fundamental change.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

As Clamp has said, the law has changed. This government is changing many things and keeping it under wraps whilst pointing the finger at culture wars. Look over there, whilst we do this over here.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The U.K. at risk of being listed as a human rights abuser.

Sometimes we need a wake up call like this. We are arguably sleepwalking into a bad situation.

I’m glad we are being observed because the current government seem to think they are beyond reproach and unaccountable to anyone.

Its almost insane that we led the way on Human Rights for a few centuries regarding abolition of slavery, Trade Unions etc etc.. however, something changed post Brexit whereby this government thought that they could just cherry pick the Laws and Rights that suit them and their supporters.

So expect workers rights to be reduced, the right to vote made more difficult and yes, they will try to ignore/withdraw from whatever Human Rights agreements that " stifle " business's ability to make more money at the expense of its workers. And expect them to demonise asylum seekers and strip them of their rights as the government trys to hang on to the Red Wall Racists

We are a failing country and it really isn't going to turn around under this government.

e/

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
3 posts later! Its not a flounce, it's trying to ignore a mod who is a troll.
He really isn't. He's a very fine bloke. Pick your opponents with more care.

I find your fierce unjustified misunderstanding of someone to be entirely consistent with your self-confessed inability to see that there is one obnoxious political party that should be opposed by voting for another that is generally decent.

You sound like a member of the 'don't vote, all politicians are the same (so that I and my mates can vote and win)' gang, even though I suspect you're not, and better than that. It isn't all about first (or even last) impressions. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you don't vote then you really have no right to expect change. All parties are not as bad as each other, perhaps your vote could have gone some way to halting one of the the worst ones.

Perhaps your vote could have served as encouragement for one of the best to create policies that the major parties taken on board to try and gain your vote.

The thing with voting is it isn't always an instant reward. Sometimes the pay off takes time.
You beat me to it (and almost word for word - are you my second account? ??? :wink: ) . Given that we are wasting our breath here, one wonders what axe he has to grind by repeatedly posting on this thread.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It will take years to unravel the mess the last 13 years have caused. The Bill passing through Parliament is literally just a bonfire of every EU law right now(which was voted onto our own statute books) without replacing them with anything like the same.
EU employment rights like maternity leave, equal pay for women etc etc not to mention no right to strike.

Everything is done to distract the electorate in what is really happening. Why are all the right wing hacks making such a fuss about the royals falling out? It gets people looking the other way.
The EU maternity leave is 14 weeks at SSP rates. Why is it upsetting if the law chooses not to enforce that? Isn't the current situation better?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The EU maternity leave is 14 weeks at SSP rates. Why is it upsetting if the law chooses not to enforce that? Isn't the current situation better?
When I had my children in 1970 and 73, there was zero paid maternity leave.
I also got sacked in 1970, for being pregnant.

The EU changed those rules for women.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
When I had my children in 1970 and 73, there was zero paid maternity leave.
I also got sacked in 1970, for being pregnant.

The EU changed those rules for women.
Maternity allowance started in 1948. Weren't you eligible for that?

When did the EEC introduce these new protections? The earliest I can find is Directive 89/391/EEC, dated June 1989 and applying from the beginning of 1993. Was there anything before that?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
The biggest human right abuse in this country is , the end of free speech , people telling what you have to think and say , too many people telling you what you can do , too many cameras 🎥 everywhere, freedom in this country has gone , and it all started with Blairs left wing PC run government

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The U.K. at risk of being listed as a human rights abuser.

Sometimes we need a wake up call like this. We are arguably sleepwalking into a bad situation.

I’m glad we are being observed because the current government seem to think they are beyond reproach and unaccountable to anyone.

I don’t think you know how lucky you are living in England . Try living in America if you are going to moan about human rights . England has probably the best human rights in Europe .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t think you know how lucky you are living in England . Try living in America if you are going to moan about human rights . England has probably the best human rights in Europe .
Is that why the United Nations have Britain (it’s not just England) on watch at the moment?

This bill is going through Parliament now, under the guise of ridding us of EU laws, but in reality, the government want to ‘save time’ by cutting 4000 pieces of legislation in one fell swoop.
Some Tory MPs are planning to rebel, because it is so deceitful.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maternity allowance started in 1948. Weren't you eligible for that?

When did the EEC introduce these new protections? The earliest I can find is Directive 89/391/EEC, dated June 1989 and applying from the beginning of 1993. Was there anything before that?
There is a huge difference between maternity leave, and maternity allowance.
The maternity allowance was a one off payment of £28 which was for a pram or a cot.

No, there was nothing before 1989, and as you rightly say it was agreed across the whole EEC.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The biggest human right abuse in this country is , the end of free speech , people telling what you have to think and say , too many people telling you what you can do , too many cameras 🎥 everywhere, freedom in this country has gone , and it all started with Blairs left wing PC run government
LOL! Perhaps you should have a lie-down while you read your Daily Mail. Blair - leader of a Left-wing government!!! He was basically a One Nation Tory.

The fact that you think he was somehow Left-wing simply shows just how much the current Conservative Party and many of its increasingly deranged supporters have moved further and further Right.

If former moderate Tory leaders like Harold Macmillan and Ted Heath were around today, they'd be denounced as Marxists by many Tories.

Still, if you disapprove so strongly of the Blair Government's alleged curbs on free-speech, you must logically disapprove also of the current Government's curbs too - unless you're one of those Tories whose motto seems to be: "If Labour do something, it's evil, but if we Tories do exactly the same, it's brilliant."

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Not for much longer, as we have an authoritarian government which is contemptuous of human rights and civil liberties - even while it accuses "the fascist Left" of threatening free-speech and imposing 'cancel culture'.

Moreover, many of our current Tories and their supporters look with admiration at Donald Trump, and view him as some kind of role model that we should emulate.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who is telling you what to think or say? Have you been threatened with prison for thinking?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Who is telling you what to think or say? Have you been threatened with prison for thinking?
Tories are always claiming that their free-speech has been taken away - wallowing in their paranoia and deluded sense of victimhood - yet somehow, they keep spouting their Right-wing nonsense, and insulting our intelligence in the process!

Similarly, in spite of the rabidly pro-Tory and pro-Brexit stance of most newspapers and their journalists (The Sunday Times, for example, has Jeremy Clarkson, Robert Colvile (head of the Thatcherite think-tank the Centre for Policy Studies, (Dominic Lawson (Nigel's son), and Camilla Long penning anti-Labour, anti-trade union, anti-public sector diatribes every week), and the recently-launched GB News and its roster of Right-wing presenters, the Tories still complain about "the Left-wing media"!

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
There is a huge difference between maternity leave, and maternity allowance.
The maternity allowance was a one off payment of £28 which was for a pram or a cot.

No, there was nothing before 1989, and as you rightly say it was agreed across the whole EEC.
Statutory Maternity Pay started in 1987. It (in most cases) superseded Maternity Allowance, which still exists for those who can't get SMP and was paid (at that time) for 18 weeks, having been introduced for 13 weeks in 1948. It's now 39 weeks.

But even if you don't believe the contents of the attached link, you surely must accept that SMP in 1987 was not introduced as a result of the EU's directive in 1989.

[Edit] to add a poster from 1946 showing maternity benefits for all mothers with extras for working mothers.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Statutory Maternity Pay started in 1987. It (in most cases) superseded Maternity Allowance, which still exists for those who can't get SMP and was paid (at that time) for 18 weeks, having been introduced for 13 weeks in 1948. It's now 39 weeks.

But even if you don't believe the contents of the attached link, you surely must accept that SMP in 1987 was not introduced as a result of the EU's directive in 1989.

[Edit] to add a poster from 1946 showing maternity benefits for all mothers with extras for working mothers.

Were we in the EU/EEC from 1973 onwards? The answer is yes. We progressed as they progressed.
Amongst he 4000 EU regulations that Rees-Mogg wants to trash includes maternity leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here