Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton out

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Can we really run the risk of letting CH get his hands on the summer transfer war chest (if we do actually have the money to spend on players)?

He recruited Best...a man with an appalling goal scoring record in the Championship..then talked him up as the star striker to score the goals. Then when even Best himself has proved CH wrong, he continues to play him.

Boring, negative football. No effort or application from the players since he joined.

It's all gone so badly wrong, and from what he's done so far, I can't see CH as being the man to put it right.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Whilst I am in the "give Hughton a chance" camp, current form in the middle of the season would have had him sacked as with Sami. Omens do not look good but one thing is for sure, we cannot go into next season with yet another new manager.
I'd prefer it if we went into next season with the right man for the job (at all levels within the club).

We're doomed. Doomed.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Hughton`s only task this season was to keep us in the Championship, which it would seem he has achieved. Unfortunately, to do this has meant having to play defensive, hard to beat, negative football. But needs must and all that. You cant expect sexy football and goals galore in the midst of a relegation battle, which we have been in since he took over. He`s kept us up, thats all we should judge (and thank) him for this season. Next season is the time to really judge him and his ability to manage a football team.

Was it though? I don't remember anyone from the club stating that at any point and I'd imagine that TB/PB or whoever employed him would have expected a finish close to mid table this season and pushing towards the play-offs next season. I can't see either of these things happening now.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Giving another manager the sack and having ANOTHER summer of uncertainty would be a foolish move - give CH the chance to rebuild the squad over the summer and get the players he wants in. I agree that 9+ hours without a goal is abysmal and we should be much better, but we're not. We just need patience to allow him to do his job, rather than be reactionary.

I'm sure CH and the players know they're not performing as well as they should be, but we just need to see the final games out of the season, secure safety, write the season off and plan ahead for progress next season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Was it though? I don't remember anyone from the club stating that at any point and I'd imagine that TB/PB or whoever employed him would have expected a finish close to mid table this season and pushing towards the play-offs next season. I can't see either of these things happening now.

They didn't. And we'd have all accepted avoiding relegation if it'd been offered back in January. The final position is an irrelevance if you're not in the top 6 or bottom 3; all teams start on zero points in August.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Obviously we have got to stick with CH and give him the benefit of bringing in his own team. Any other suggestions are ridiculous but having said that TB will need to monitor closely how his money is being spent if CH recruits so far are anything to judge by.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very much this. Won't stop the bedwetters though
I'd be careful using that term! Last year the 'Bedwetters' turned out to be absolutely right, and those who had trotted it out at every turn to vilify anyone who expressed any sort of doubt or criticism ended up looking pretty silly (and they all suddenly went very quiet!)

This season has been awful; hopefully CH will have just about rescued us from relegation. Now I'm looking forward to seeing what happens over the summer without changing the manager - that'll be a nice change!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
This thread is a joke.

All managers have a bad run.

We have NO creative players in the team (we had one but he's broken his leg) and our strikers are shit. As for pace? Kaz and Carayol. One of which is inconsistent and the other fat.

How the hell are we meant to play fast attacking football?

Incidentally we are creating chances. We had SIXTEEN shots last night, but not one on target. That's only 3 less than the goal fest against Birmingham.

This season our most creative player has been a loanee who, although great to watch, has a frustrating habit of not releasing the ball. Unfortunately he has now broken his leg.

Why does he play Best? Maybe because CMS is rubbish (I wish he wasn't), OGrady it seems is incapable of shooting without it looking like a pass back, Colunga is on loan, Baldock is injured and Fenelon isn't good enough.

Player signings since Gus left have been appalling.

Hopefully this will be sorted out and CH will have a decent squad next season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd be careful using that term! Last year the 'Bedwetters' turned out to be absolutely right, and those who had trotted it out at every turn to vilify anyone who expressed any sort of doubt or criticism ended up looking pretty silly (and they all suddenly went very quiet!)

This season has been awful; hopefully CH will have just about rescued us from relegation. Now I'm looking forward to seeing what happens over the summer without changing the manager - that'll be a nice change!

True

Bedwetters 1 Lickers 0. Here's hoping we don't follow it up with another win this summer

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The bedwetters have got their way. We have a British (well ok Irish but close enough) manager who plays thump it forward football.

I hope they are all happy with themselves.
I think you need to do a bit more research before making a statement like that. People were called bedwetters for suggesting that our summer signings weren't all that good. They were right; I don't suppose any were happy to be proved right - another season pushing for promotion would have been what most wanted.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You've got to believe that Hughton himself must get bored watching our toothless attack.

I'll let him off recruiting Leon Best, a player that he knew from Newcastle days that has regressed more than anyone could have imagined. It's never easy to get goalscorers on loan, we did well to get Bent for a month.

I think Tony Bloom needs to spend a lot of time with Hughton over the summer because part of the problem is a lack of direction. Under Poyet we played a continental style, we only had a few loanees, we were looking to recruit experienced players and the youth didn't get much of a look-in. This season FFP led to us selling our stars and replacing them with signings of dubious quality and a hatful of loanees, with disastrous consequences.

I still think we have a core of good young players and three or four decent experienced players. Our defence is pretty good, we have some high earners out of contract and because season ticket sales have been good we don't need to sell our best players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The bedwetters have got their way. We have a British (well ok Irish but close enough) manager who plays thump it forward football.

You don't actually know what a bedwetter is do you???

It has nothing to do with Barnes, Murray or Ulloa except for the fact that a bedwetter KNEW they hadn't been adequately replaced and had the temerity to say so as the club spun us a load of waffle and bollocks about judging them after the transfer window had closed. The Lickers always had 100% faith that the club would deliver the players required.

It's not much fun being a bedwetter :down:

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we are shit at the moment , don't think Houghton is to blame , we just don't have a goalscorer or more than 4 decent sets of testicles on the pitch at the moment .....truly gutless........one thing you need in this league are guts and balls....!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Born in Forest Gate E London so British but qualified for Rep of Ireland as mother is Irish father Ghanian so also qualified for Ghana if he wished.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
We do have some complete cockwombles as fans.

Let's just have a quick assessment of those people that have been slagged to death for at one point one reason or another on here in recent times:

- Dicker
- Harley
- Paynter
- Hammond
- Poet
- Barnes
- Buckley
- Bridcutt
- Ulloa
- Conway
- Lopez
- Obika
- Stockdale
- JFC
- Best
- Carayol
- Kaz
- CMS
- Barber
- Burke
- Agustein
- Ankergren
- Brezovan
- Sami Hyypia
- Rodriguez
- Noone
- Colunga
- Navarro

Clearly some of the above may have deserved opprobrium and this is a discussion forum after all - hey it's all about opinions - but unfortunately this forum gives voice to a level of negativity that can only be unhelpful in the long term.

Hughton. What the hell else could he have done, than he has? Baldock injured, March injured, Crofts, injured. CMS out of form, COG out of form. Above relegation zone on goal difference only when he started.

Negative football: Some people seem to equate not scoring with negative football. This is moronic. Negative football is not what we're playing as far as I can see. He hasn't totally abandoned our passing football strategy, just taken a more pragmatic approach to avoiding relegation. We have still, and still do, play some attractive football, we just haven't got anyone that wants to score. This does not mean that the manager deploys negative tactics.

Best: He played Best because he is a better footballer than either CMS or O'Grady. It's really simple. There was a passing move last night with about four 1:2s in it that centred around Best in the first half, that COG and CMS would only have been able to dream about playing. Yes his attitude looked suspect, but the manager was right to play him. Booing him off was as embarrassing as it was disgraceful.

What we need to get into our heads as a fanbase is the fact that we are supporters, and we need to support the team.

Ashley Barnes stated that he left the club because he 'didn't feel wanted'. This, in itself is a stain on us.

Conway was slated after his first game, now we regret that don't we?

JFC adored by England, and Gareth Southgate, hated by NSC.

And yet now we're doing the same to Carayol, a player that Boro fans didn't want to leave and is fighting his way back to fitness and Hughton, a manager without his own team. It's unbelievable really.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Unbelievable. Every manager needs time to do the job, and you can't possibly judge whether Hughton is a failure until at least the end of next season. As others have pointed out, he needs to keep you up this season then rebuild for next. Which his track record suggests that he'll be quite decent at.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Unbelievable. Every manager needs time to do the job, and you can't possibly judge whether Hughton is a failure until at least the end of next season. As others have pointed out, he needs to keep you up this season then rebuild for next. Which his track record suggests that he'll be quite decent at.

I thought the same about about Colin Wanker.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Obviously we have got to stick with CH and give him the benefit of bringing in his own team. Any other suggestions are ridiculous but having said that TB will need to monitor closely how his money is being spent if CH recruits so far are anything to judge by.

his only recruit has been Kayal
all the others(loans) have been in desperation as nobody else would come here all recovering from bad injuries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here