[Food] How much do you tip in restaurants?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much?

• Tight arse 0%

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • 5%

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • 10%

Votes: 99 72.8%
  • 15%

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • 20%

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • >20%

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
UK, generally 10-15% for good to decent service, above that for exceptional service.

US, 20% upwards.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If the waitress is fit I’ll occasionally leave £2

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Roughly 10% however zero if a service charge already added

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don’t generally tip at MacDonalds ……the girls at my Sunday afternoon cafe get a ‘large’ Xmas tip…hope that helps

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As an aside I worked as a waiter in my student days and know how difficult the job can be, and what a huge difference to my morale a good tip can do.
A friend of mine worked in a pub restaurant in the evenings for a bit of extra cash. We were going to give her a tip, but she said, they had to pool it later on and share it among all the staff.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I don't tip.
Tipping came about in days when many service jobs were underpaid and was a way of boosting cheap labour as a wage supplement.

Minimum wage now ensures no one is exploited like in the olden days (pre min wage legislation) so tipping is no longer necessary.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
bit off topic - went for a meal as ASK a few months ago - and basically told not to expect table service and to order on their app sat at table - we said prefer to have table service, a big mistake

kitchen cooked all deliveroo orders in advance of table service orders and app orders were on this list too

waiting staff called on table every 30 minutes in between packing up Deliveroo orders non stop

we gave no tip

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
bit off topic - went for a meal as ASK a few months ago - and basically told not to expect table service and to order on their app sat at table - we said prefer to have table service, a big mistake

kitchen cooked all deliveroo orders in advance of table service orders and app orders were on this list too

waiting staff called on table every 30 minutes in between packing up Deliveroo orders non stop

we gave no tip
Ask is terrible service at the best of times nothing comes together.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On similar matters, I give larger tips after a haircut eg £14 rounded to £20. He’s a good bloke and I’m in a fortunate position compared to him.

Another thing I did during the lockdowns, people including @Herr Tubthumper mentioned this at the time, was to overpay some services to help them survive eg cafes you rated. As a goodwill thing, supposedly as payment upfront for stuff in better times, but not claiming the credit when things did pick up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
minimum wage, vagaries around how tips go to staff, or service included, leave me less inclined to tip these days. so a default 10% or not bother. the "service" is taking an order and bringing a plate to you, the nature of the job is to do this well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On similar matters, I give larger tips after a haircut eg £14 rounded to £20. He’s a good bloke and I’m in a fortunate position compared to him.

Another thing I did during the lockdowns, people including @Herr Tubthumper mentioned this at the time, was to overpay some services to help them survive eg cafes you rated. As a goodwill thing, supposedly as payment upfront for stuff in better times, but not claiming the credit when things did pick up.
I tip my hairdresser as well…it’s a tradition I guess but he has one of the easiest jobs in the world doing my hair.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
0% here in Japan. No tip culture here in Japan fortunately.
Just the way it should be. I’m happy to pay more for my food if that means the staff are getting paid more, but don’t leave it up to me to make up the difference and I’m not gonna give someone extra money for doing their job, plus w/e I give could be considered too much or too little and taken the wrong way.

Put the prices up, pay the staff more then I can decide if I want to go or not.

P.s I’m warming to the Japanese people more now. What I like about our Japanese fans is that they all seem happy to be here whenever they come to the Amex. I’d rather be in a stadium full of people who are happy to be there than a load of annoying day trippers getting up every 5 minutes get food and drink, playing on their phone and looking bored.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If you don’t tip around 20% in NYC , you are likely to get a very unhappy waiter asking you why not !

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As with many, 10% if good service. I also check the bill to see if a service charge has been added. Also, if the service is bad then it's zero. Wetherspoons of course ask you to pay in advance so that takes away the need to tip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports