Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How much do you tip in restaurants?

How much?

• Tight arse 0%

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • 5%

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • 10%

Votes: 99 72.8%
  • 15%

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • 20%

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • >20%

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The states now have this unbelievable con at checkout at places like Starbucks where they ask if you want to give a tip. The tip usually starts at 20%....I had a hotdog on the side of the road the other day and they even tried to con a tip.

Unbelievable

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The states now have this unbelievable con at checkout at places like Starbucks where they ask if you want to give a tip. The tip usually starts at 20%....I had a hotdog on the side of the road the other day and they even tried to con a tip.

Unbelievable
The US don't generally pay a living wage on the ground floor tho eh? Servers in any shape or form rely on tips to the extent that they tend to sometimes get abusive if they don't receive them in that most most backward of countries

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
12-15% typically in the UK (a few quid for any takeaway delivery drivers)……..15-20% in the US (and Caribbean), 10% or so most of Europe, less than that in most of Asia.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
The only time I don't tip is when the food and service is bad or when the server admits they don't get share of the tips.

I've managed pubs for a number of years and you'd be surprised how much money is lost to dishonest servers and managers. I've fired 4 waitresses for not sharing their tips and told others the should look for another job if they don't agreewith the tronc system.

I took over a pub where one horrible beast of a waitress was taking home £300 a week in tips, delegated all the crap jobs to the teenagers and refused to tip out to the kitchen or food runners. She lasted a month, she was perfectly happy that the kitchen were sharing £100 a week between 6 of them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The only time I don't tip is when the food and service is bad or when the server admits they don't get share of the tips.

I've managed pubs for a number of years and you'd be surprised how much money is lost to dishonest servers and managers. I've fired 4 waitresses for not sharing their tips and told others the should look for another job if they don't agreewith the tronc system.

I took over a pub where one horrible beast of a waitress was taking home £300 a week in tips, delegated all the crap jobs to the teenagers and refused to tip out to the kitchen or food runners. She lasted a month, she was perfectly happy that the kitchen were sharing £100 a week between 6 of them.
It’s cash businesses, many people can’t but help themselves to putting £20 in their pocket. On repeat.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
It’s cash businesses, many people can’t but help themselves to putting £20 in their pocket. On repeat.

I've had numerous arguments about this but for me stealing tips is the worse kind of theft and people genuinely see nothing wrong with it.

There are some good eggs though. I worked in a pub in North London where it was every twat for themselves when it came to tips.
We employed a French girl who was training in some ballet school and a part time model. I think I'd go as far to say she was the most beautiful girl I'd ever met. Men especially, would give her obscene tips. She was so annoyed with the dishonestly she kept all of her tips then every month she would hand out everyone's share. She'd kept notes of who she'd worked with on bits of paper in the most incredible calligraphic handwriting.
A busy month one summer she shared out well over 2k in tips, our Algerian KP (6 foot and very scary) sobbed like a baby as his tips would literally help feed his family.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Tipping isn't really a thing here and most people just don't do it.
If service charge is added then I don't, if the service is shit, then I don't.
I will give a few dollars if I am happy with it.
Tips means , To Insure Prompt Service and when it all started was given to whoever was serving you at the beginning of a meal, to insure that it all went well.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Uhm almost nobody tips here in Italy, it's not like the US where the waiters survive on tips. There's usually a "cover charge" in the bill that indicates the table setting, service and sometimes the bread, and that's part of what I suppose goes to the waiters. In any case, it's the owner's full responsibility to decide their pay, not the client's. I much prefer it this way.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As with most other people, the level of tip depends on the food and the service - nothing if it’s all rubbish.

yesterday we were in a Thai restaurant in Southampton, and there was a service charge automatically added. This was actually pointed out to us and checked that we were happy with it. That’s never happened to me before. The service had been friendly and good and the food was excellent, so we agreed it AND left a bit extra.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have also f***ed up a few times….and given a tip on top of an added service charge. This has happened 3 times and twice my error was pointed out. In both cases I offered to pay the “second” tip, one restaurant accepted this but one (Cin Cin Hove) refused.

I also gave a ridiculous tip in Köln about ten years ago when I mistook a 1 for a 7 on a handwritten bill. It was around the 35-40% mark.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Depends on the service.
We've recently eaten at the White Hart in Buxted, the food was lovely, the service was fast and polite, so we tipped about 15%
We ate the Fox in Patching yesterday, slow service, bland and very basic food, just rounded up the bill, probably about 3%

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
0% here in Japan. No tip culture here in Japan fortunately.

Blue Countries = No Tip including Japan.
How-Much-You-Should-Tip_Restaurant-Staff-1.png

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Blue Countries = No Tip including Japan.
How-Much-You-Should-Tip_Restaurant-Staff-1.png
No idea why they put Italy down as 10%, as I said I've travelled far and wide in the country and nobody expects you to tip, and I normally haven't seen anybody I know who goes out to a restaurant leaving a tip. You pay what's on the bill. Maybe they mean the cover charge that's already on the bill, but that's not really a tip.

So if you come here as a tourist, pay what's on the bill and stop. No-one is expecting you to tip, as local Italians normally don't. At most, they "expect" to make more money off of tourists who want to appear pleasant/respectful. If you have extra money to spend and you really enjoyed the place a lot then you can tip of course, and no-one will stop you, but it's not seen as rude or poor form to not leave a tip. Restaurants here don't rely on tips at all.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If there's a service charge I always check that the staff get the relevant %age added to their wages. If they don't I opt out of the service charge and so long as I'm happy with the service I give them the cash equivalent. If no service charge then I usually give 10% and always directly to the waiting staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here