Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How much do you tip in restaurants?

How much?

• Tight arse 0%

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • 5%

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • 10%

Votes: 99 72.8%
  • 15%

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • 20%

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • >20%

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Frau and myself always differ on this, but I’m a 20%er, she’s a 10….we compromise on 15%

How much do you tip?

Personally I always tip, unless the service is really bad, but I appreciate others might not. So let’s assume everything was good enough to deserve your highest award….what’s it to be?

I await your responses, and the inevitable Reservoir Dogs clip.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Depends on the country. Never if there’s a service charge …. I used to check with waiters that staff receive it all, they did, so I stopped asking.

UK > 10%.
US > 15%
European nations - I check on the individual custom.

Never a tight arse, unless awful service.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I worked as a waiter in my student days and know how difficult the job can be, and what a huge difference to my morale a good tip can do.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Around 15%, even if I get poor service and an apology (happened recently and got a free drink).

Unless I get poor service then blatantly lied to (happened twice recently) in which case they get diddly squat.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Generally 10% rounded up to the nearest £ Unless bill shows service included when I’ll leave a couple of quid if I think the waiter deserves it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I like to pay the exact amount and then slip whoever has served us some cash for themselves.
I think this is the best way. Unfortunately I rarely have much cash on me these days and forget to get any out. So I usually have to choose one of the amount options on the pay machine thingy.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
10-20% ish.
If it's particularly poor, I will leave 5p and tell them that's for the service; to be fair I've only done it once at a place in, of all places, Hurstpierpoint (geezer was rude to my mum and that's not on)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think this is the best way. Unfortunately I rarely have much cash on me these days and forget to get any out. So I usually have to choose one of the amount options on the pay machine thingy.
This.

I would always leave a cash tip on the table after I had paid the bill, but having eventually been dragged screaming into the 21st century, I rarely have cash on me now :down:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
10% However if I have a very poor meal which is very rare nothing but I do give an explanation for this. I also make sure I always give the tip in cash in maybe naive hope has more chance of going to staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here