Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many are now on the anti Hammond band wagon ?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Les Biehn said:
El-Abd is a better RB than Hammond is a midfielder at the moment.

Agree.

I think Reid is very good at RB though and that Loft would be very good at CM. I'd prefer that too El-Abd right back, Reid center mid. Just personal pref.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: How many are now on the anti Hammond band wagon ?

London Irish said:
Yes, he is the new Charlie Oatway who people love to scapegoat. Dean may not be in top form at the mo', but the abuse he gets is ridiculous, just like Charlie's in the recent past. Dean gets it worse too because he was overhyped on here about a year ago and people also seem to be punishing him for not living up to being the next big thing (see also this forum's treatment of Jake Robinson).

Dean can't get his attacking game going but defensively he is still doing OK across the 6 games, perhaps less well in the last couple. Some particularly brave defensive work at Rotherham, including one tackle that stopped a clear scoring chance.
Don't normally disagree with your sentiments, but this time you're way off the mark. In no way is Hammond a scapegoat. Somtimes a team of eleven can carry one or maybe even two players during a match. Unfortunately, it eventually stands out when one of those players is consistently the same one.

Dean isn't having a dip in form - dips don't happen for a whole year at a time - the bloke is clearly struggling. I don't think it's his attitude, but his defensive game is poor, and his attacking game is hesitant. As I said the other day, Hammond's second touch is often to make a tackle.

No-one really saw him as the 'next big thing'. He arrived quite quietly if I recall, and made an impact with some vital goals at vital times. The main point is, people have seen what he is capable of - but unfortunately this has not been the case for over a year. In that respect, BECAUSE they know what they could expect, most have been extremely patient and tolerant - far more so than of many others. But now, although you are repsonding to the undiplomatically expressed classic NSC prose ('he is f***ing shit, drop him now' etc), I actually agree with many of the above sentiments from most, and feel he should make way for someone else.

Preferably Paul Reid.

Last edited:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
As someone else pointed out Dean Hammond's best period for us was when he was playing wide left at the end of the season before last. I don't remember him bursting down the left and whipping in crosses with his swinger particularly, but what he did do intellegently was to ghost in unmarked and get some vital headers on target. If he is going to be played continually I would prefer him to be back in that role. If not then Cox or Loft should be given a run. As for Stokes, he has good control and skill - but 'cos of his lack of stamina, can only do it for 45 minutes max.

Last edited:

Monkster

Ragamuffin
Jul 7, 2003
The Token Carlisle United Fan
I think Hammond is good, honest player, does love that slide tackle a little to much though......looks much more confortable when he has a anchor type player next him (Oatway) allowing him to play.....plus the fact that he's having to cover carpenters f*** ups doesn't help him!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The Large One said:
Do you know what Si? I think we heard you first time.

I dare you to make a post without referencing your disgust for Mark McGhee. Go on, I dare you...
Hello Alan.

There.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The Large One said:
:nono: :nono: :nono:

Your signature gives you away.
Ho Hum...

Would you like me to make it larger?...

Finally got my voice back properly today after Saturday's events!

Last edited:

Re: Re: Re: How many are now on the anti Hammond band wagon ?

The Large One said:
but his defensive game is poor, and his attacking game is hesitant. As I said the other day, Hammond's second touch is often to make a tackle.

No-one really saw him as the 'next big thing'. He arrived quite quietly if I recall, and made an impact with some vital goals at vital times. The main point is, people have seen what he is capable of - but unfortunately this has not been the case for over a year.

I....feel he should make way for someone else. Preferably Paul Reid.

I'm agnostic on whether he should be replaced by Reid. Certainly Reidy is in better form and would create more going forward - just unsure whether he would make the hard tackles that Dean would make. I agree it may be worth a go though.

We're going to have to agree to disagree about Hammond's defensive work, I think it's that which has kept him in the side recently (although I agree the lack of genuine alternatives like Oatway has been vital too).

This is obviously a much lesser point, but I would disagree very strongly with your point about there not being a big pro-Hammond bandwagon on NSC at the beginning of last season. There were frequent calls on here for him to be moved to centre midfield (by those rather laughably who are OTT in their abuse now), he was also meant to be the next big transfer after Virgo, etc, etc. I remember this perhaps because I got a fair bit of stick for suggesting he should stay out on the left, where he got his goals.

Last edited:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
The ironic thing is, that with our current formation (i.e Chippy as anchor man) Dean would have less defensive duties than in a 442,which should enable him to push forward more ala Paul Rogers 5-6 years ago.But its just not happening for him at the mo,maybe being dropped would snap him out of it.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I don't hate Hammond, I just think at this moment in time he isn't bringing anything to the team.

I'd like to try a Reid/Carpenter combo in midfield for a few games because Reid looks one of our few players capable of threading through an effective pass.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
dougdeep said:
He deserves to be dropped from the top of the Empire State Building but I don't slag off any player in the stripes.

Harsh but true :lolol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
His tackling is clumsy and his passing is wayward. However he can finish and his movement (late running) is good. So why the f*** he is expected to be our midfield engine I will never know. We need a defensive midfielder which would free either Chippy up to his more natural attacking position or Hammond to get back to making his runs. I don't think it is a case of playing him out wide I just think that the wings suit his style as a goalscoring midfielder, but there is no reason he shouldn't be able to do this in the middle alongside the right player. Hinsh may be the answer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Re: Re: How many are now on the anti Hammond band wagon ?

London Irish said:
We're going to have to agree to disagree about Hammond's defensive work, I think it's that which has kept him in the side recently (although I agree the lack of genuine alternatives like Oatway has been vital too).
This much is true. I think he has been woeful and ineffective.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hammond just needs a spell in the stiffs to rediscover his form thats all. As for tackles and stuff thats Chippys job.

Reid is the most creative player we have.

Having briefly met Hammond, he came across as a very shy and quiet young man. Nothing wrong in this of course but it does suggest he is a confidence player, and his confidence has clearly gone. I was one of the majority who wanted to see him given his chance in the centre, and rightly so he got that opportunity. But the fact is he hasn't been able to grow into the role and do it justice. He has had more than enough time so now it's time to make a change, whether that be to the left of midfield or the reserves for a while. I don't think it does him any favours leaving him struggling for form in the centre. Reid, Loft or one of the youngsters should be given a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here