Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think that reducing the wage bill is secondary. It’s all about getting these young players - mostly 19-20 year olds - senior level game time to help them develop and make the step up to the Premier League. Caicedo is still well down the central midfield pecking order and wouldn’t have seen much first-team action this year, particularly with Bissouma staying.

Oh, I quite agree - it's excellent that we've got so many youngsters out developing. I was replying to someone who thought it was a sh*t window because all we'd done was clear the decks and send people out on loan to save their wages - he thought it was worryng!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think we've messed up with the White money.by buying in Mwepu when we did. Seems as if we were looking to replace Bissouma early in the window when we didn't have a clear interested party showing intent. From what I've seen of Mwepu he is nothing like a defensive midfielder. I'm sure he'll adapt but at Burnley he was a rabbit in the headlights.
The other factor that stung us was the release clause on Cucurella meaning that we had to find the £15m upfront for him. Suddenly from a position of strength we are scrabbling around and not able to finance the type of striker than would make a difference. So, we then went in for Sima who is a lower cost risk but not ready to start.
We are at risk now of an injury or two of severely derailing our season although keeping Bissouma is a plus. However, he are over stocked with midfielders and we'll be hacking off at least one or them with a lack of game time.
To loan out Caicedo last minute to a poor Belgium team is a shambles in my opinion. The lad was just getting to grips with the English language, and we now send him abroad. This was a player that we beat Man United to. What must he be thinking?
Your wasting energy mate, the club can do no wrong, there is no better striker in world football at our level than Maupay, Connolly will become good despite no evidence to the contrary. And yet still no one can answer the question what happens if Maupay picks up an injury or red carded whilst Welbeck is having yet another injury crisis :shrug:

Our local hack won’t ask the difficult questions so we will have to wait to find out what plan B is.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well we turned a 16 year old we picked up for virtually nothing into a PL striker and a regular international. Last week we gave another 16 year old striker their full debut, and we’ve signed one striker in our 4/5 years in the PL who has scored 20 goals in just over 2 seasons and another who scored 25. We also coached out of an ex England player his best PL season for goals and appearances in 7 years. And ha! We’ve just identified a striker who is going straight into the Stoke first team.

But yes. Locadia didn’t work out.

Only Maupay is fit for anything other than a relegation scrap. An injury prone Welbeck and a slowly going off the rails Connolly won’t be scaring anyone. We have to stop over promising and underachieving.

I don’t buy the narrative that we never get good strikers though. Murray and Ullloa were excellent and Hemed and Baldock both did the jobs they were brought in for. A 10 goal striker is all you really hope for on our wages at PL level and Maupay contributes overall too.

But to quote [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] we have the depth of a paddling pool. Don’t try and spin that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Brighton fans June 2021 "Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Andone, Zequiri and Tau (zero goals, barely any game time) just aren't good enough - we need to get better strikers"

Brighton fans August 2021 "Jahanbaksh, Locadia, Andone, Zequiri and Tau (zero goals, barely any game time) are gone - this is a disaster"

Brighton fans June 2021: "Spending 10 to 15 million on the best striker in the Championship/second tier European leagues like Maupay, Jahanbakhsh, Locadia or Andone is a failed strategy"

Brighton fans August 2021: "We really should have taken a punt and spent 10 to 15 million on the best striker in the Championship or a second tier European league"

Brighton fans all the time "We really should spend 40 million and 120k a week on a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker"

Fans of Newcastle (Joelinton) West Ham (Haller) Chelsea (Werner) - "Yeah right"

Good one. The club has a long term strategy. It's easy to see what that is, even if there isn't a glossy document setting it all out. There are lots of very good football brains and analytical skills at the club. I trust them to get most things right.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Boggles my mind that we sign Sima and loan him out straight away.

First time in a new country and we send him out on loan without having built up any relationships within our club and a long way from our support network.

Why we wouldn't bring him in and have him around the club and playing in the 23's at least until the next window I can't fathom.

I'm sure there's lots of good reasons....and I expect we have a good relationship with Stoke (obviously we've sent Ostigard there). I very much doubt we would simply abandon a young guy (new to the UK) in Stoke!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Brighton fans June 2021 "Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Andone, Zequiri and Tau (zero goals, barely any game time) just aren't good enough - we need to get better strikers"

Brighton fans August 2021 "Jahanbaksh, Locadia, Andone, Sima and Tau (zero goals, barely any game time) are gone - this is a disaster"

Brighton fans June 2021: "Spending 10 to 15 million on the best striker in the Championship/second tier European leagues like Maupay, Jahanbakhsh, Locadia or Andone is a failed strategy"

Brighton fans August 2021: "We really should have taken a punt and spent 10 to 15 million on the best striker in the Championship or a second tier European league"

Brighton fans all the time "We really should spend 40 million and 120k a week on a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker"

Fans of Newcastle (Joelinton) West Ham (Haller) Chelsea (Werner) - "Yeah right"

Not sure what point you are trying to make the players you quote were all not seen as good enough by the club so have been moved on that is not in dispute by anyone.

What is in dispute is we have not replaced any of those players with players that are good enough and are now going into a PL season with Maupay, an injury prone Wellbeck and Connelly.

And who are these fans wanting £40m and 120k a week as I have not seen any?

The frustration for most is again the Albion have been linked with and clearly pursuing some interesting first team attacking players that they seem to rate but again we have not got them over the line so look short in an area we needed to strengthen.

I don’t imagine the club are all that happy about that either as they were out there trying to address it this summer and have come up short.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Anyone think Locadia may be named in.the 25?

I know I’m a lone voice in the wilderness here but if he got his head right and down I think he could play a part this season.

I’m going off line shortly for a while as I don’t like abuse :wink:
Has crossed my mind too a few times . Then I woke up .

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Pleased to see Biss stay and Cucurella looks a decent signing.

Disappointed not to see another striker come in for the first team and that Connolly was not loaned out.

Roll on the january window - the search for a striker goes on.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I can’t believe people are trying to spin this as anything but a failure.

If the club’s only intention was to take punts on young strikers with potential and loan them out as a money maker and/or in the hope one makes the cut in the PL, then fine. It’s risky but I can accept that model if we have no aspirations other than floating just above the bottom 3.

But that’s not our only intention as we have categorically been after some pretty exciting strikers and have failed every single time. Similar amount of times that we have been informed of our top 10 aspirations.

The whole Núñez thing is just deeply embarrassing, that we could not get it over the line when it’s so clear that he was the main target above all others.

The window itself was not a disaster obviously. Retaining Bissouma and getting Cucurella big pluses as well as shifting many off the books. But the overriding feeling is negative because of it being patently obvious for all to see where our weakness is and it’s not been addressed yet again.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[TWEET]1431641614766706688[/TWEET]

Pretty much contradicts the official press release and follow up Argus story.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19...-karbownik-joins-olympiacos-season-long-loan/

Michal Karbownik has joined Greek giants Olympiacos on a season-long loan.

Albion head coach Graham Potter said: “This is a good opportunity for Michal to play regular football, for one of the biggest teams in Greece.

“There is also the prospect of Europa League football, which at his age would be really good for his development.

We will be monitoring his progress throughout the season and we wish him the best of luck for the rest of the campaign.”

(yes, I can do research in the morning :) )

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

If the club’s only intention was to take punts on young strikers with potential and loan them out as a money maker and/or in the hope one makes the cut in the PL, then fine. It’s risky but I can accept that model if we have no aspirations other than floating just above the bottom 3.

But that’s not our only intention as we have categorically been after some pretty exciting strikers and have failed every single time. Similar amount of times that we have been informed of our top 10 aspirations.

The whole Núñez thing is just deeply embarrassing, that we could not get it over the line when it’s so clear that he was the main target above all others.

The window itself was not a disaster obviously. Retaining Bissouma and getting Cucurella big pluses as well as shifting many off the books. But the overriding feeling is negative because of it being patently obvious for all to see where our weakness is and it’s not been addressed yet again.

Spot on - far too many apologists on here who are in denial, it has been glaringly obvious that we need a striker and pretty much nothing else but we have failed

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There were 3 main priorities. In order of importance

Get Striker - Fail
Keep Bissouma - Success
Cover at wing back - Success

Maybe just more success than fail. If we'd sold Biss and used the money to buy Nunez would I be happier? Maybe, yes.

But we're now seriously a hostage to fortune up front. We'll be lucky to get away with another calamitous recruitment attempt

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Due to the striker issue I’d say it’s a bad enough window that I’d like to hear from barber / bloom / potter on how and why we haven’t addressed the issue .

Certainly don’t want to hear any too 10 talk for a while off the back of it

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Anyone think Locadia may be named in.the 25?

I know I’m a lone voice in the wilderness here but if he got his head right and down I think he could play a part this season.

I’m going off line shortly for a while as I don’t like abuse :wink:
He has to be.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

Agree. Those who are happy with the window are probably the same people that moan every week when we have thrown away more points or failed to take our chances

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
5 goals.

Anyway, when it comes to Connolly the most absurd exaggeration is the repeated words that he will never turn into something because he has not scored a bunch more goals yet in his short career as a senior footballer. It is absurd statements and there are numerous examples showing that even if you've not made it at 21, you might make it later.

Is anyone sensible really saying that he’ll never make it ? The most common noise is that people feel he should go on loan to the Chamionship to get more minutes, goals and experience.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Spot on - far too many apologists on here who are in denial, it has been glaringly obvious that we need a striker and pretty much nothing else but we have failed
I wonder if the apologists actually go we know some on here have never been to single game let alone fork out top six prices for bottom six football.

The new model is clearly make as much money as possible from youngsters that’s great and all for everyone making a few quid from it. Not so good for us lot who have to sit through dire games like last Saturday. A few seasons back we went to games with the buzz of what’s Knockhaert going to pull out the bag today, sadly we no longer have a crowd pleaser a match winner that’s worth the admission price alone.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Not the worst window £50 million almost pays of last years overspend, an additional LWB who’s young and a full Spanish international, lots of fringe players out on loan will be playing regular at some good levels bodes well for the future, these are still very uncertain times and in my opinion the club has taken a careful approach that will pay off

Goals were our problem last year but with Maupa getting off to a flying start and keeping Biss, our new LWB, March back and fit could provide additional forward options, more goals are needed from midfield Ithink we will be ok this year

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Good news about retaining Biss but will our clear lack of intent and ambition make him determined to move on in January? Let's face it, he won't be seeing any progression given our lack of striker options. I'm concerned. This isn't the transfer window of a club aspiring to be a top 10 side no sirrrrreeee.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agree. Those who are happy with the window are probably the same people that moan every week when we have thrown away more points or failed to take our chances

Umm no, those who are happy with the window are those who appear to be happy most of the time, while those who moan about the window are the same people who moan regardless of what happens - the kind of people who, if the club had signed a striker for the first team yesterday, would have said "just one? We're doomed. Barber out."

Is anyone sensible really saying that he’ll never make it ? The most common noise is that people feel he should go on loan to the Chamionship to get more minutes, goals and experience.

No one sensible, no. Just lots of people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here