Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

• Total voters

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Sorry - mis-read/skipped part of your post - thought it was through a personal contact with said ex-player. Mea culpa.

No worries. Actually Im wrong! Ive found the series of videos, for an outfit called "latest TV" where they review games etc and he wasnt an ex footballer at all but a journalist. And I know he posts on here!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
How not to handle the development of a young player. Give him his first team debut and then days later loan him out at literally the last minute on deadline day. Oh, and the team he's gone to is bottom of a second rate league.

I'm pretty sure the Caiciedo would of been consulted way in advance. A good move for him, as not too much chance of first team action this term with us.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This thread has become misery central quite quickly hasn't it. Its, its exciting to sign lots of new players, because they're all effin brilliant before they kick a ball.

Thing is, successful sides are ones built on stability and experience. Consistency of playing style and selection, knowing your team mates, being able to put the work on the training ground into practice without blinking. It's Potter's third season and that's the phase we're getting into. Yes, old teams can get stale, but young teams will grow. I'm excited to see what this team can do and confident for the season ahead.

Alongside that I'm happy that the recruitment team have a plan - improve the side where they can, invest in promising youth - and make sure they are properly developed - but don't pick up any player that doesn't improve the first XI just to bask in the momentary glory of new signings. That toplevel striker will come, not this summer, but maybe January, maybe next summer, they know what they want and target it. Didn't get it this summer, but no changing of plan, keep on pushing.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think that reducing the wage bill is secondary. It’s all about getting these young players - mostly 19-20 year olds - senior level game time to help them develop and make the step up to the Premier League. Caicedo is still well down the central midfield pecking order and wouldn’t have seen much first-team action this year, particularly with Bissouma staying.

Yes, this.

We seem to now have a coterie of players who are too good for PL2 but are not going to be regular first team starters. The more experienced of those who would jump straight into the team in the event of injury or tactical change (if all fit then the likes of Welbeck MacAllister, Duffy, Moder) need to be here but the deputies of those players do not.

In any sport you need to play regularly at your level or above to improve. So we've sent those players we believe are in that category out on loan so they can play.

In some way we are Chelsea-lite, garnering fees for players that most of us have never seen in the flesh between sign on and ship out. But, in other ways, the likes of Caceido and Karbownik are never going to improve with semi regular stints as sixth best sub. We can name more subs this season but we cannot play more.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
This thread has become misery central quite waiving hasn't it. Its, its exciting to sign lots of new players, because they're all effin brilliant before they kick a ball.

Thing is, successful sides are ones built on stability and experience. Consistency of playing style and selection, knowing your team mates, being able to put the work on the training ground into practice without blinking. It's Potter's third season and that's the phase we're getting into. Yes, old teams can get stale, but young teams will grow. I'm excited to see what this team can do and confident for the season ahead.

Alongside that I'm happy that the recruitment team have a plan - improve the side where they can, invest in promising youth - and make sure they are properly developed - but don't pick up any player that doesn't improve the first XI just to bask in the momentary glory of new signings. That to level striker will come, not this summer, but maybe January, maybe next summer, they know what they want and target it. Didn't get it this summer, but no changing of plan, keep on pushing.

Well said. Unfortunately, most on here don't look at the bigger picture.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Dendoncker gone on loan now

I’d there anybody left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Yes, this.

We seem to now have a coterie of players who are too good for PL2 but are not going to be regular first team starters. The older of those who would jump straight into the team in the event of injury or tactical change (if all fit then the likes of Welbeck MacAllister, Duffy, Moder) need to be here but the deputies of those players do not.

In any sport you need to play regularly at your level or above to improve. So we've sent those players we believe are in that category out on loan so they can play.

In some way we are Chelsea-lite, garnering fees for players that most of us have never seen in the flesh between sign on and ship out. But, in other ways, the likes of Caceido and Karbownik are never going to improve with semi regular stints as sixth best sub. We can name more subs this season but we cannot play more.

Isn’t Karbownik a loan to buy option? That suggests ‘he’s not as good as we thought’, more than ‘important next step in his development’

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Dendoncker gone on loan now

I’d there anybody left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In terms of centre back I believe that just leaves Dunk, Duffy, Burn, Webster, Veltman, and Roberts.

Admittedly it's no central midfield where we've only got Mwepu, Bissouma, Gross, Lallana, Moder, Alzate and Richards. #BareBones

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This thread has become misery central quite waiving hasn't it. Its, its exciting to sign lots of new players, because they're all effin brilliant before they kick a ball.

Alongside that I'm happy that the recruitment team have a plan - improve the side where they can, invest in promising youth - and make sure they are properly developed - but don't pick up any player that doesn't improve the first XI just to bask in the momentary glory of new signings. That to level striker will come, not this summer, but maybe January, maybe next summer, they know what they want and target it. Didn't get it this summer, but no changing of plan, keep on pushing.
We could quite possibly be a championship club next summer, we’ve been riding the wave of the bottom six for a while now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Isn’t Karbownik a loan to buy option? That suggests ‘he’s not as good as we thought’, more than ‘important next step in his development’

Not that I can see confirmed anywhere. It was speculated in the original tweet. Happy to be corrected because I can't be ****ed to fact check this late at night.

My beef with the treatment of Karbownik is much more that he was recalled from his loan with Legia Warsaw mid season, brought here to benchwarm when we had no fit wingbacks and then loaned to an equally poor league.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Agree with all of that. The owner was a self-made billionaire by the time he was in his 40s (if not younger) through business interests that require sound judgement, playing the long game and knowing when to take carefully calculated risks. Some of the knee jerk hysteria because we haven’t spunked a small fortune on a Carlos Kickaball on massive wages is ridiculous and totally counterintuitive to the way Bloom operates. Long may that approach continue.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
After months of speculation on whether he would be or not... Biss is still here, so I'm relieved!:clap:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Not that I can see confirmed anywhere. It was speculated in the original tweet. Happy to be corrected because I can't be ****ed to fact check this late at night.

My beef with the treatment of Karbownik is much more that he was recalled from his loan with Legia Warsaw mid season, brought here to benchwarm when we had no fit wingbacks and then loaned to an equally poor league.

[TWEET]1431641614766706688[/TWEET]

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Well said. Unfortunately, most on here don't look at the bigger picture.

Isn't having a paper thin, good to average strike force part of the picture too?

As when you step back it's when you realise we haven't identified or developed a striker of any great quality for a while now.

We've done very well with defenders and midfielders but there's something lacking in our identification process with forwards.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Isn't having a paper thin, good to average strike force part of the picture too?

As when you step back it's when you realise we haven't identified or developed a striker of any great quality for a while now.

We've done very well with defenders and midfielders but there's something lacking in our identification process with forwards.

Well we turned a 16 year old we picked up for virtually nothing into a PL striker and a regular international. Last week we gave another 16 year old striker their full debut, and we’ve signed one striker in our 4/5 years in the PL who has scored 20 goals in just over 2 seasons and another who scored 25. We also coached out of an ex England player his best PL season for goals and appearances in 7 years. And ha! We’ve just identified a striker who is going straight into the Stoke first team.

But yes. Locadia didn’t work out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

For a while now ? I'd actually have to pick up on that point and say, well, never.

However. The mammoth-sized elephant in the room right now is what happens when Welbeck limps his well-trodden path back into the treatment room again. God help us if Maupay gets crocked.

I can't believe the club has wilfully left itself so exposed to this extent. Astonishing.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well we turned a 16 year old we picked up for virtually nothing into a PL striker and a regular international. Last week we gave another 16 year old striker their full debut, and we’ve signed one striker in our 4/5 years in the PL who has scored 20 goals in just over 2 seasons and another who scored 25. We also coached out of an ex England player his best PL season for goals and appearances in 7 years. And ha! We’ve just identified a striker who is going straight into the Stoke first team.

But yes. Locadia didn’t work out.
4 goals in two seasons Connolly, and I’m not sure he will be a regular international anymore judging by the article today.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
69781e03064916abcdb81444cd00015b.jpg

42e3695c4d28dd0eb68ab4ceca5ccf33.jpg

75359c3344b755bcea3b499e5cd132c7.jpg

I’m no finance wizard but these figures posted on Sky Sports just now look all wrong. Have Palace only spent £10m? I also thought we’d got more fees in than £50m, that implies all our other sales other than White were free transfers? Help!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here