Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

How HAPPY are you with this transfer window?

• Total voters

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Earlier in the window the squad gaps I saw, and hoped to fill were;

Goalkeeper - Scherpen signed.
Left back - Cucurella signed
Attacking mid/winger - Richards promoted to first team. & with Cucurella signed Solly available in a more advanced position. Mwepu also added to midfield options.
Centre back - Thought we'd sign someone but Duffy's form has been a welcome surprise.
Right back (if Lamptey wasnt returning) - Lamptey looks near to fitness, plus Veltman & Alzate also available so no need for this signing.
Striker - We've cleared the players who didnt contribute much last year but havent brought someone else in. It feels a risk, but if we're only playing with 1 striker and then 1 on the bench, we can still choose from Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly, Trossard, Locadia, and promote from the u23s. I would have liked someone new but what we have should get us through until at least January.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Utter shite all we have achieved is funding Stokes promotion charge.

If they get promoted due to our loanees, then we'll have significantly increased the value of our assets and have a striker ready for a shot at the premier league.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
5. In terms of incomings for the first team we needed a striker and a left back. We only got a left back. In terms of sales, it's great we got £50m for White and kept Bissouma. However, we got peanuts for some others which I guess reflects the fact that the market in lower-end players is on its arse.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Brighton needed a striker, I struggle to see where our goals will come from on a regular basis. We will stay up, but it could have been a healthy mid-table finish instead of trying to raise my blood pressure every other game.
Similarly, the Reds could also have done with a striker and a top class DM. Season looks as though we will be struggling to reach a top four place but at least we will have a positive bank balance …… wow.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Brighton needed a striker, I struggle to see where our goals will come from on a regular basis. We will stay up, but it could have been a healthy mid-table finish instead of trying to raise my blood pressure every other game.
Similarly, the Reds could also have done with a striker and a top class DM. Season looks as though we will be struggling to reach a top four place but at least we will have a positive bank balance …… wow.

Our recruitment is based on Moneyball principles.
The received wisdom that lack of goals is due to poor strikers is being challenged.

Plenty of analysis has been done to suggest there is more to it than just a challenge with the ability of our strikers.
The most interesting (for me) was the analysis around the number of defenders in front of the ball for our numerous missed opportunities last season.
We were significantly higher in this regard, than most Prem clubs.

For now I'm happy to see what Potter can do at improving the speed we get the ball to our shooters, rather than spunking a fortune on strikers, who will be faced with the same low percentage opportunities we tend to create.

It could be a load of horseshit of course, but I'll trust the club for now.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
We have kept our best player.
£50m in the bank for White is great business
Retained wellbeck
Signed 2 first team players
Significantly reduced the squad, allowing far more time for coaching and fitness staff to focus on first team players
1 elusive striker short of a perfect window...

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We needed either a striker and / or an attacking midfielder who can unlock defences..... like Lingard did at West Ham.

Here we failed. The rest was excellent.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We needed either a striker and / or an attacking midfielder who can unlock defences..... like Lingard did at West Ham.

Here we failed. The rest was excellent.

Reminds me - it seems bizarre how Lingard has stayed at Man Utd. They have Rashford, Cavani, Martial, Ronaldo, Greenwood and Sancho. How is Lingard going to get a game?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We have kept our best player.
£50m in the bank for White is great business
Retained wellbeck
Signed 2 first team players
Significantly reduced the squad, allowing far more time for coaching and fitness staff to focus on first team players
1 elusive striker short of a perfect window...
£50m isn’t much use in the bank when our current lot struggle to hit a barn door :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
And potentially drop out of the division when all the players values will drop.
You can’t live scared believe your target will improve the squad and score some of those goals we missed last season. Bottle jobbing it every window will eventually end up with us flirting very close to relegation. Finish six places higher and you make a good few million to cover his wages.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
You can’t live scared believe your target will improve the squad and score some of those goals we missed last season. Bottle jobbing it every window will eventually end up with us flirting very close to relegation. Finish six places higher and you make a good few million to cover his wages.

I just cant believe we are unable to sign a player that would improve on Locardia and Connolly that would have chipped in with 5+ goals this season which could be the difference between 15th and 12th in the league or from being in the bottom 3 or 16th/15th.

Maybe we have a shock an awe signing lined up for January :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I just cant believe we are unable to sign a player that would improve on Locardia and Connolly that would have chipped in with 5+ goals this season which could be the difference between 15th and 12th in the league or from being in the bottom 3 or 16th/15th.

Or could have been a flop, wasting the game time of others and costing important points.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, but is Locardia any better than Connelly? Or Wellbeck for that matter - if only Houghton was still our manager to sort it all out.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Wrong.

We started the window with 8 forwards and no fit full backs. We've signed a very, very good full back who can also push up.

We HAD quantity but NOT enough quality up front. Now we have neither. Sorry, but… wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Bloom bottle jobbing it again. Must be great for him to hear from fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here