Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How gutted would you be if GP went to Newcastle?

How gutted would you be if Potter went to Newcastle

• Total voters

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Absolutely REVELLING in OP's traditional Sunday stalking of yours truly. Tho sadly will be the last. Will be finally adding to my seriously exclusive Ignore List. OP wins Silver Place on the THPP podium. SO close. Just pipped for Gold by sneaky snide [MENTION=28856]rogersix[/MENTION]. Bronze place currently open entry :shrug:

still desperate for attention then, sad tommy :rolleyes:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It would be daft to underestimate the effect the manager has though. Those of us who have been supportive of Potter here from early on and not wavered, have been so because we believe he is an excellent coach and manager, and could go on to be a great, but needed time. Tony has generally appointed well, but he seems to go for a newish coach with promise each time, Hughton being the exception, the next person in the job is extremely unlikely to be "better" than Potter, because in my opinion, there are only a handful of Managers that currently are, and we have next to no chance of landing any of them, so it would be a semi punt (as Potter was), on someone like Russel Martin.
Could be better than Potter, unlikely to be worse than Hyypia, but likely to need a period of transition again, and therefore another period of patience from me and impatience from twats on here saying we should get rid, and half a season of Martin IN or OUT threads popping up after every game.

Part of the reason we have a better squad now is the two years GP has invested in them. I totally admit that.

But if we are going for young, largely untried coaches then we have to be able to keep them or we have to have a credible succession plan, otherwise it makes no sense hiring them in the first place. So this panic every time a lazy journalist picks up the PL table, sees us in 6th and goes "Potter must be doing a good job, it stands to reason the Saudi's will go all in on him" is really, really frustrating.

As for the "twats on here", let's remind ourselves again that GP won one single home match in the entire calendar year of 2020 and, at half time against Wolves, three of the "out" camp were moderators on here. We'd seen Dan Burn put in the worst possible position against Adama and a very average Wolves side take us to bits in that first half. That could have been GP's "Hughton v Bournemouth" moment (and might have been, had there been fans in the ground). Instead the second half of that game signalled first the comeback and then the domination, rendering you and Icy and a bunch of others, including TB, 100% correct. Fine margins.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Next permanent Newcastle manager (odds via Sky Bet)

Antonio Conte - 7/2
Roberto Martinez - 4/1
Steven Gerrard - 7/1
Eddie Howe - 8/1
Graham Potter - 10/1
Zinedine Zidane - 11/1
Brendan Rodgers - 12/1

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I love potter. But I think he's replaceable. I'm sure there's a few similar up and coming managers out there that could do a good job.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely REVELLING in OP's traditional Sunday stalking of yours truly. Tho sadly will be the last. Will be finally adding to my seriously exclusive Ignore List. OP wins Silver Place on the THPP podium. SO close. Just pipped for Gold by sneaky snide [MENTION=28856]rogersix[/MENTION]. Bronze place currently open entry :shrug:

Gutted, my world will never be the same :rolleyes:

Not a single other poster on here leaves himself as open to piss taking and now he won’t be getting all arsey about it any more :down:

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Won't ever happen - but you could write a great six part TV series on the likely story.

GPott opens episode 1 by knocking on the door of the synagogue to tell TB I'm off to work for that lot in Geordieland - run by the odd looking lady who is not at all controlled (Premier League have legal assurances) by the bloke who had Khashoggi chopped up.

The drama ends in episode six with the revelation that the Saudis actually never had any intention of spunking multiple billions of their wealth on mercenaries from around the world, who have just been desperate to move to a place where the temperature only rises above 15c on one day a year.

And the struggle to get out of the championship for the last five years has been too much even for the patient, pleasant residents of Jeddah and Riyadh - who don't control the club anyway - no not at all.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I read that Potter is a target after Antonio Conte turned them down, but to me they are complete opposite types, so if true, it suggests they don't have a clear plan at this stage, and ethics aside, I can't see it being of interest to Potter without one.
Right here, right now, Potter has a job that must be envied by many, the club has an academy that is producing, seeks to buy players that will develop, but also decent enough to have an impact quite quickly. Has targets that are ambitious but not ridiculous, and a plan on how to achieve them. I believe that as long as Potter feels he has an environment conducive to him being able to do good work, and develop and improve himself, and the team, it would be difficult to prise him away from here.

All of the above is true and there is the small matter of us being 6th at present, 13 places above the El Toon.

Think it has been posted elsewhere, but a dream job for Jose?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Next permanent Newcastle manager (odds via Sky Bet)

Antonio Conte - 7/2
Roberto Martinez - 4/1
Steven Gerrard - 7/1
Eddie Howe - 8/1
Graham Potter - 10/1
Zinedine Zidane - 11/1
Brendan Rodgers - 12/1

Struggle to see them getting Potter or Rodgers but the others are probably quite likely though I'm sure there are plenty of other candidates as well.

If they are picking Graeme Jones as caretaker it indicates that they might be in for Martinez, considering that they've worked together both in Swansea and Wigan. But Martinez might want to coach in another World Cup, difficult to tell.

Also wouldnt surprise me if they go with some kind of bandaid solution (maybe Jones if the Saudi Arabian Entity perform well against Spurs) until the summer when there is likely to be more options available.

All of the above is true and there is the small matter of us being 6th at present, 13 places above the El Toon.

Think it has been posted elsewhere, but a dream job for Jose?

I dont see a world where he leaves Roma this early as things are going very well. Maybe in the future but I dont think he will replace Bruce.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If you are referring to me I wouldnt watch one second of Newcastle if he went there.

Closer to Sweden and slaggy women…..plus we could sign you up to the magpies message board.

Jimmy Grimble

Part of the reason we have a better squad now is the two years GP has invested in them. I totally admit that.

But if we are going for young, largely untried coaches then we have to be able to keep them or we have to have a credible succession plan, otherwise it makes no sense hiring them in the first place. So this panic every time a lazy journalist picks up the PL table, sees us in 6th and goes "Potter must be doing a good job, it stands to reason the Saudi's will go all in on him" is really, really frustrating.

As for the "twats on here", let's remind ourselves again that GP won one single home match in the entire calendar year of 2020 and, at half time against Wolves, three of the "out" camp were moderators on here. We'd seen Dan Burn put in the worst possible position against Adama and a very average Wolves side take us to bits in that first half. That could have been GP's "Hughton v Bournemouth" moment (and might have been, had there been fans in the ground). Instead the second half of that game signalled first the comeback and then the domination, rendering you and Icy and a bunch of others, including TB, 100% correct. Fine margins.

What’s the relevance of three of the ‘out’ camp being moderators? Bit confused by that.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What’s the relevance of three of the ‘out’ camp being moderators? Bit confused by that.

Being a moderator doesn’t mean you are not impatient for wins and want a change of manager when you don’t get them :wink:

Results are EVERYTHING for quite a few Albion fans in fairness, mods are not immune.

I hope I’m annoying you GB, I have restrained from gloating all this season until now :smile:

It could all go pear shaped I know……

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Being a moderator doesn’t mean you are not impatient for wins and want a change of manager when you don’t get them :wink:

Results are EVERYTHING for quite a few Albion fans in fairness, mods are not immune.

I hope I’m annoying you GB, I have restrained from gloating all this season until now :smile:

It could all go pear shaped I know……

I'm not sure why you're gloating. I assume it's to do with the fact that, for you, being right on the internet is more important than the team doing well.

You were defending one win at home in a calendar year. Fair play to you for sticking with it. But I've always said I'd be happy to be proved wrong, because that means the team is actually progressing in terms of results and not just in people's minds.

Do you think I get less enjoyment out of a win?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not sure why you're gloating. I assume it's to do with the fact that, for you, being right on the internet is more important than the team doing well.

You were defending one win at home in a calendar year. Fair play to you for sticking with it. But I've always said I'd be happy to be proved wrong, because that means the team is actually progressing in terms of results and not just in people's minds.

Do you think I get less enjoyment out of a win?

The reason quite a few people stuck with supporting GP was because it was highly visible on the pitch that things would turn around eventually. It was not a guessing game or a gamble, just a case of seeing more than the scoreboard.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How embarrassing....

someone doesn't get irony.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here