Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How gutted would you be if GP went to Newcastle?

How gutted would you be if Potter went to Newcastle

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I`d be devestated if he goes, people keep saying we`d have someone lined up to takeover (with similar values) but he`s completely changed the club in the time he has been here.
Not sure if Newcastle is a good option for him but when other names being banded about are Gerrard and Lampard who do you think Newcastle would go for?

The club made a very loud noise about scouting GPott for years before signing him.

Either the club have managers lined up to follow on from Potter, or the initial statements were lies.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
What do you think was prioritised before that?
A passing game/shift from the negative headlines of the Hughton Premier League style, combined with a PR drive to heap praise on Brighton for their football - despite continual failing to beat the bottom sides and absurdly poor at home.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A passing game/shift from the negative headlines of the Hughton Premier League style, combined with a PR drive to heap praise on Brighton for their football - despite continual failing to beat the bottom sides and absurdly poor at home.

Ok. Personally I think winning (yes sure through a different style, but winning nonetheless) was always the plan... just didnt work out that well for a while.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He is 5th favourite so hopefully we will be ok . It shows we are doing well I guess .

The problem is that their club have seen, literally first hand, Potter smash them up tactically on more than one occasion. I think he’d be on any shortlist in the EPL now.

That said, I think Potter would turn the Toon down, he’d then receive a new 5 year contract and massive pay rise from us if they went after him hard.

Our infrastructure is 5+ years ahead of Newcastle from academy to scouting to other teams (women’s, U23s etc), together with having arguably the best owner and Deputy Chairman/CEO in English football.

Potter has always struck me as a ‘money is not everything’ sort of chap. He’d not have loyally done his apprenticeship in Sweden for all those years of he was just chasing the dollar. He likes a long term project and he is in the middle of a very stable one here. Newcastle could easily adopt the sort of hire & fire mentality of say, a Chelsea or Tottenham. He could be out on his arse after just one season, we’ve seen that patience is key with Potterball, it does not happen over night.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You need to read between the lines a little.

I was responding to the generalisation "the dickheads on here". At the end of 2020 the In/Out poll was about 55/45 %. It certainly wasn't just the trolling Junior. Ditto with Hughton, pretty much all the board agreed it was time to say "thanks Chris but that's it", even if we were shocked in the end (because he survived the Cardiff fiasco). In other words, there are times when it's legitimate to question the coach / manager and times when it really is just dickheads trolling.

Oddly enough the person I was responding to seems to get it. It's just you and the groupie who need it spelling out.

I am assuming that I am the person being referred to as “the groupie”? :lolol:

I think you might be over egging my love for GP. I have no desire to hang about before and after games to meet him and even less to share his bed :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am assuming that I am the person being referred to as “the groupie”? :lolol:

I think you might be over egging my love for GP. I have no desire to hang about before and after games to meet him and even less to share his bed :wink:

Nah. The Groupie is a little more Swedish and will take himself off when Potter does.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nah. The Groupie is a little more Swedish and will take himself off when Potter does.

Oh, damn! :wink:

I enjoy Swanny’s contributions but yes I fear you are probably right

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So many unknowns and variables. We don't know whether Newcastle are aiming for someone with European experience or knowledge of the Premier League, a big name or a younger prospect, a head coach or a manager. We don't know who will be recruiting them, they won't know yet who they will be reporting to. Will the new guy be expected to work with Graeme Jones, will he be able to take his existing team with him? Will it even be a he? Is it Emma Hayes' big moment?

If Newcastle approach GP, will he want to listen to what they have to say? What will his family will think about the possibility of becoming financially set for generations to come? What will they think about being uprooted from schools etc again?

One thing's for sure - we won't be consulted so let's just wait and see.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'd be a bit pissed, hopefully GP will realise you have no life if you manage NUFC.

Graham you know life is better by the sea under the radar

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I don't expect Graham Potter to be anywhere near the Saudi's shortlist. They'll be chucking big money at somebody with an international reputation. They will be signing established players for huge transfer fees. Potter's mantra of 'making players better' is not a good fit, and wouldn't produce the short term results that the owners and idiot fans will be demanding. Even with their endless riches, it took Guardiola a couple of seasons to get City there. He was protected from too much criticism / the sack by his multiple successes at Barcelona and Munich. An up and coming manager wouldn't have the same protection and would be out of the door at the first sign of trouble. Expect a big name with a couple of top European League / European trophy wins on his CV. Also expect a Chelsea style revolving door if success doesn't come quickly.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The club made a very loud noise about scouting GPott for years before signing him.

Either the club have managers lined up to follow on from Potter, or the initial statements were lies.

I'm sure the club were telling the truth and i'm sure they are keeping tabs on managers now.

But it's far from an exact science. You can't 100% rely on the promising manager you want being available at the exact time you need him, or wanting to move from his current position, or not being snapped up by someone else, or his stock not falling of a cliff in the time between identifying him and the vacancy coming up.

There's only so much succession planning you can do in advance.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
If G.Pott wasn't interested in Spuds I can't see that he would want to go to Newcastle. As I said at the time of maximum speculation that he would join Spuds he would be giving-up a great job and great life-style for a huge amount of pressure and family disruption. Simply reversing-up the money truck would not be sufficient compensation. He's got a young family, recently settled in a great house in a great location, with an easy commute to a top-rated training facility and a great stadium. His boss is a genuine fan of the club and not purely in it for an investment, so he will give him time and support. His prospects are bright enough without having to take a massive gamble. So, G.Pott is staying until his work here is done.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Amazing what prioritising winning games above all else can do for a reputation. He may well have gone to Spurs in the summer if we hadn't wasted half last season dropping points against dross like Sheffield United and West Brom.

My point entirely. Experienced football people recognised Potter's talent but the subset of football fans who can't look beyond the scores in the paper took longer to get there

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Oh, damn! :wink:

I enjoy Swanny’s contributions but yes I fear you are probably right

I'm not so sure because being maybe naive and hopeful i would like to believe two things :-
1) That G.Potter is not just a money grabber but sees the value in our club and is happy here
2) That Swanny has become a regular poster , sees the value in our forum , and is happy here
Time alone will tell ..................

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't expect Graham Potter to be anywhere near the Saudi's shortlist. They'll be chucking big money at somebody with an international reputation. They will be signing established players for huge transfer fees. Potter's mantra of 'making players better' is not a good fit, and wouldn't produce the short term results that the owners and idiot fans will be demanding. Even with their endless riches, it took Guardiola a couple of seasons to get City there. He was protected from too much criticism / the sack by his multiple successes at Barcelona and Munich. An up and coming manager wouldn't have the same protection and would be out of the door at the first sign of trouble. Expect a big name with a couple of top European League / European trophy wins on his CV. Also expect a Chelsea style revolving door if success doesn't come quickly.

It took Man City 8 years and three managerial appointments to get Guardiola after the takeover. They also took time to build the super team, getting signings like Lescott and Barry early on as they built the side. They won't get the best manager and best players on day one in a team that won't be in Europe next season, they will have to take steps towards that.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree with those who are saying .....

Newcastle won't be looking to "build the club". They will chuck fortunes at Zidane or Conte or someone. They should go for Potter, but I doubt either owner or fans base are sensible enough

I don't think any amount of salary would tempt GP. Not because he's a hippy. But because he won't want to toxify his own brand by working with such shady owners.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It took Man City 8 years and three managerial appointments to get Guardiola after the takeover. They also took time to build the super team, getting signings like Lescott and Barry early on as they built the side. They won't get the best manager and best players on day one in a team that won't be in Europe next season, they will have to take steps towards that.

True. I'd expect them to start by hoovering up big names in the division who are at clubs that won't make Europe. Is is right that Wilf's always been a Newcastle fan?

I'd still expect the manager to be a big name though. (Anybody want to start a Bielsa rumour?)

Jan 30, 2008
It won’t concern anyone 😡 like it didn’t concern AJ or EH when they had a mega fight in Saudi Arabia. The players and manager will pick up the millions undertake their usual token gesture at the start of the game and then carry on. Not one single player or fan will boycott NUFC in protest to the brutal regime in that country.

Nope , they'll still carry on buying rip off replica tops and inflated season tickets, what a fiasco !

Regards
DG

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'd be furious with him and frankly if he did it I'd give him dog's abuse when he turned up here again, same as I would any of our players who ditched us for the blood money in the north east.

I would trust Tony to have a back-up plan in place for if (when) GP gets poached by someone bigger from a club perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here