Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How Do You Think OUR Boys Did In The World Cup?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I'm hoping Trossard is going to be on fire when we re-start.

He has been before when he's returned from a time with Belgium.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For me, those who 'stepped up a level' in International terms (although obviously we've all known for ages)

MacAllister
Caicedo
Estupinan
Mitoma

:clap:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I'm hoping Trossard is going to be on fire when we re-start.

He has been before when he's returned from a time with Belgium.
I think he's got to grasp his moment when he comes back. Could be in line for a big move in the summer, and with Eden Hazard retiring from international football, there is a Belgian first team place waiting for him.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think Belgium made a big error in playing the Greatest Hits rather than going with the newer material. I understand the loyalty to the Centurions but realistically that team needed to be freshened up and Roberto Goran-Eriksson waited for too long to do it and failed. It is correct he has lost his job.

I think that Sarmiento was disappointing and I was a little surprised he was used so much. Otherwise, Mitoma is a breakout star and Mac Allister has proven his absolute brilliance on the highest stage.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Estupinan possibly the best LB at the tournament in the handful of games 9.5 / 10
Caicedo a DM who scored - solid 8/10
Sarmiento hardly featured but looked good off the bench
Mitoma - they kept loosing first half then bringing him on and winning or that was the feeling anyway - 8.5 / 10
MacAllister - MotM but not given it or discussed as commentator’s obsession was playing. Solid other games and kept his place in a good side who are playing well 8 / 10
Sanchez didn’t play
Lamptey - never watched them but seems to have established himself as a starter in a decent team? 7 / 10 ?
Trossard similarly I’ve not watched much. Aging squad, underperforming, but he sounds like part of the next generation and establishing himself so 6.5 / 10 ? Since hasn’t gotten goals or assists?
Blue tinted specs? Compare your ratings with The Guardian.

Estupinan 9.5 Guardian 6
Caicedo 8 Guardian 7
Mitoma 8.5 Guardian 7
MacAllister 8 Guardian 7
Lamptey 7 Guardian 6
Trossard 6.5 Guardian 6

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Trossard was anonymous as was Lamptey. Estupinian was good in a couple of games, Caicedo was ok in a couple of games. Mitoma changed the game every time he came on. MacAllister is absolutely awful, would never make it it at hypothetical places like say Inter, so scouts should just give up now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't think any of their stock fell. I think Trossard and Sanchez (possibly Lamptey) seen as about the same as before the tournament. Everyone else safe to say their stock has risen?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
MacAllister - MotM but not given it or discussed as commentator’s obsession was playing.
Messi actually passed the official FIFA MOM award onto Mac Allister in recognition of his performance against Poland. He's not all bad that Messi chap and was cleraly righting a wrong by the FIFA panel that does MOM awards.

I don't think any of our players have disgraced themselves. A vast majority showed the world what we already knew. Pervis really impressed me with his LB/LWB performances for Ecuador. Trossard was a but disappointing but given the unrest in the Belgium camp I still think he did ok.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Blue tinted specs? Compare your ratings with The Guardian.

Estupinan 9.5 Guardian 6
Caicedo 8 Guardian 7
Mitoma 8.5 Guardian 7
MacAllister 8 Guardian 7
Lamptey 7 Guardian 6
Trossard 6.5 Guardian 6

I think the BBC ratings were a bit higher than the Grauniad's too. :lolol:

SAC

May 21, 2014
I think the BBC ratings were a bit higher than the Grauniad's too. :lolol:
Yes, I love the BBC ratings by the fans. I noticed in one of the Ecuador match that Sarmiento, Caicedo and Estupiñán all had ratings of 8/9 when all the other players had 6s and 7s!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I don't think any of their stock fell. I think Trossard and Sanchez (possibly Lamptey) seen as about the same as before the tournament. Everyone else safe to say their stock has risen?
Assuming he trained as well in the camp as he plays for us, I'd suspect Sanchez is a step closer to the Spanish No. 1 Jersey now than he was at the start of the WC

el punal

Messi actually passed the official FIFA MOM award onto Mac Allister in recognition of his performance against Poland. He's not all bad that Messi chap and was cleraly righting a wrong by the FIFA panel that does MOM awards.

I don't think any of our players have disgraced themselves. A vast majority showed the world what we already knew. Pervis really impressed me with his LB/LWB performances for Ecuador. Trossard was a but disappointing but given the unrest in the Belgium camp I still think he did ok.

I hadn’t heard about Messi’s generous gesture. What a contrast in behaviour and attitude to the other so-called ‘superstar’, late of Man.Utd.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Estupinan had one of the best solo performances of the tournament against Netherlands. They couldn't handle him at all.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I hadn’t heard about Messi’s generous gesture. What a contrast in behaviour and attitude to the other so-called ‘superstar’, late of Man.Utd.
Yep, Messi was also the only player to initially go over to Martinez at the end of the penalty shoot out against Netherlands while the rest of the team ran to the other corner of the pitch to celebrate with their fans. He gets a lot of flack because the commentary and narrative tends to be about him but he does seem like a decent chap supportive of his team mates etc like any captain should be.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Assuming he trained as well in the camp as he plays for us, I'd suspect Sanchez is a step closer to the Spanish No. 1 Jersey now than he was at the start of the WC
Sanchez is likely, barring injuries, to have a very long wait. Simon is a very good GK, firmly established as Spain's no.1 - and only five months older than Big Bob.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
They added 1.35 million dollars to the coffers too.

"The three Ecuadorians — Pervis Estupinan, Moises Caicedo, Jeremy Sarmiento — will collectively bring in only $240,000, but the long-serving Leandro Trossard is worth $180,000, despite Belgium also falling short. The same amount comes back on Ghana’s Tariq Lamptey.

Kaoru Mitoma’s season on loan in Belgium last season reduces the amount due back for him to about $100,000 but Robert Sanchez’s time away with Spain is worth $220,00

Alexis Mac Allister is the biggest cheque. Argentina’s run to the final is worth $370,00

Old boys Ben White, Alireza Jahanbakhsh and Matt Ryan will also see money back amounting to about $240,000."

(from The Athletic)

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Yep, Messi was also the only player to initially go over to Martinez at the end of the penalty shoot out against Netherlands while the rest of the team ran to the other corner of the pitch to celebrate with their fans. He gets a lot of flack because the commentary and narrative tends to be about him but he does seem like a decent chap supportive of his team mates etc like any captain should be.
I have always liked this lad he just quietly use his talent to destroying players and teams. When as the other short Argentian lad a few years ago was just a jester.
Regarding the current England performance, I think some did show their really quality, for example, if Foden had been more like Saka in trying to take on defenders rather than cutting back all the time, I think he would have had a better one. Perhaps southgate had his defenders head on and he would not allow him to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here