Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He's right on both counts. Media driving panic was very unelpful and the government were also unprepared. Also notef that the panic buying helped spread the virus.

Public statements of how unprepared the govt were and how much the NHS had been compromised at the time of his tweet would have drastically increased panic.

Those that turn a bling eye to what successive Tory governments have done to the NHS and the vulnerable will always turn a blind eye and forgive then. Referencing the above tweet does seem pretty desperate but I guess it is becoming ever more difficult to justify and excuse the apalling performance of this government.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Haven't seen it reported anywhere so where is the reference to panic buying spreading the virus any more than any other normal daily activity before the lockdown?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Haven't seen it reported anywhere so where is the reference to panic buying spreading the virus any more than any other normal daily activity before the lockdown?

Haven’t seen it reported either, but it led to large crowds of people forming, with no distancing (and no sanitising of trollies etc) that otherwise wouldn’t have happened to the same extent so it’s bound to have contributed isn’t it ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He's right on both counts. Media driving panic was very unelpful and the government were also unprepared. Also notef that the panic buying helped spread the virus.

Public statements of how unprepared the govt were and how much the NHS had been compromised at the time of his tweet would have drastically increased panic.

Those that turn a bling eye to what successive Tory governments have done to the NHS and the vulnerable will always turn a blind eye and forgive then. Referencing the above tweet does seem pretty desperate but I guess it is becoming ever more difficult to justify and excuse the apalling performance of this government.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Indeed, Johnson has not really been in control of the situation at any point, we knew this virus was coming and the official line was " We are going to lose family members and loved ones before their time...…. we have to take this on the chin and move on... " . So although a succession of " Lockdowns " and draconian measures were being put in place as the virus spread towards us the government seemed to think we could dodge this and get over it quicker than any other country. The need for respirators and PPE for health staff should surely have been noted as the virus rolled towards us and manufacture and supply of these should have been ramped up at about the time of that tweet ?

So, " Get Brexit Done " morphed in to " Get Over Coronavirus" in a handy little upbeat slogan. It's saying it's bit of a problem but we are going to do this on the cheap and get back to business. In reality Johnson is not a numbers man or someone who wants to put in the hard yards on anything, to expect him to be handling a national emergency in any way other than in the way he has bumbled and evaded his way through his entire life is ridiculous.

He has been reacting rather than acting and all he has done is to slowly follow the lead of other countries yet be acclaimed for his leadership and vision (The first " Question" at the last PMQ's featured cringeworthy and gushing praise for his leadership from a toady Tory MP who probably thinks there might be some vacancies in Cabinet before this is all over) despite the UK being in the chasing pack rather than the peloton.

We are barely in control of this crisis, we are at the mercy of events, yet now the next big step is to send each and every one of a us a personal letter telling us what we know already and saying sorry in advance if you don't make it through, that's going to be a great day to be a postie.

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
That’s a Tweet calling for caution and consideration of language; that’s a bit different to what [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] suggested.

Whilst highlighting that he, like many others at that time, underestimated the threat posed by this virus. As Bozza has already highlighted, hindsight is a wonderful thing... I appreciate that as the OPPOSITION it is labours duty to be contrarian on the majority of issues. I just feel this exceptional situation should be beyond at.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Indeed, Johnson has not really been in control of the situation at any point, we knew this virus was coming and the official line was " We are going to lose family members and loved ones before their time...…. we have to take this on the chin and move on... " . So although a succession of " Lockdowns " and draconian measures were being put in place as the virus spread towards us the government seemed to think we could dodge this and get over it quicker than any other country. The need for respirators and PPE for health staff should surely have been noted as the virus rolled towards us and manufacture and supply of these should have been ramped up at about the time of that tweet ?

So, " Get Brexit Done " morphed in to " Get Over Coronavirus" in a handy little upbeat slogan. It's saying it's bit of a problem but we are going to do this on the cheap and get back to business. In reality Johnson is not a numbers man or someone who wants to put in the hard yards on anything, to expect him to be handling a national emergency in any way other than in the way he has bumbled and evaded his way through his entire life is ridiculous.

He has been reacting rather than acting and all he has done is to slowly follow the lead of other countries yet be acclaimed for his leadership and vision (The first " Question" at the last PMQ's featured cringeworthy and gushing praise for his leadership from a toady Tory MP who probably thinks there might be some vacancies in Cabinet before this is all over) despite the UK being in the chasing pack rather than the peloton.

We are barely in control of this crisis, we are at the mercy of events, yet now the next big step is to send each and every one of a us a personal letter telling us what we know already and saying sorry in advance if you don't make it through, that's going to be a great day to be a postie.

Anyone with access to the internet and a brain could see what was coming but the British government were inexplicably slow to react. Gove is now blaming that on the Chinese: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ame-china-over-lack-of-uk-coronavirus-testing

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I know we are 300 posts in but has anyone defined what the measures of success of our response will be yet?

Deaths vs France & Germany? We had more time to prepare than both and are further away from the European epicentre so should do better (though convinced France's initial spread like Italy and Spain was exacerbated by their traditional greetings) so perhaps Germany is the best yardstick here.

6/12/18 months time % reduction in GDP vs France & Germany?

Got to be a combination of a health factor and and economic damage factor, weighted I would suggest toward the health aspect.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Haven’t seen it reported either, but it led to large crowds of people forming, with no distancing (and no sanitising of trollies etc) that otherwise wouldn’t have happened to the same extent so it’s bound to have contributed isn’t it ?

So speculation then. At the time of the shops started to run out, there weren't the queues, that came later and before social distancing. In the meantime, people were still crowded on trains, going to pubs and, the week before the Arsenal game was called off, going to football!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So speculation then. At the time of the shops started to run out, there weren't the queues, that came later and before social distancing. In the meantime, people were still crowded on trains, going to pubs and, the week before the Arsenal game was called off, going to football!!!

Not really speculation - surely there’s no doubt that the hordes of people queuing to get into some supermarkets would have been spreading the virus (before lockdown). Those queues wouldn’t have existed without panic buying so they aren’t ‘normal activity’.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
There are some really clever buggers on this thread.
What I don't understand is, why didn't they warn the Government and their boffins that they were doing it all wrong????

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There are some really clever buggers on this thread.
What I don't understand is, why didn't they warn the Government and their boffins that they were doing it all wrong????

I was ranting about it but they didn't listen. Plus ça change...

My warnings fell on deaf ears with some friends back home too but they eventually acknowledged that I do in fact live in the future.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It is funny how money is found for the poor when it risks the lives of the rich

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Apparently we can now solve homelessness in a matter of days. Why didn't they give that a go before then?
They didnt matter then

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They dont deserve all the credit they're getting, all they've shown is the money has been there to pay for the things we've NEEDED all along. Our taxes will be horrendous after this as we all pay back what they've given out whilst the top still get away with it

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The worst part is that when this over it'll be used as justification for austerity 2.0.

They dont deserve all the credit they're getting, all they've shown is the money has been there to pay for the things we've NEEDED all along. Our taxes will be horrendous after this as we all pay back what they've given out whilst the top still get away with it

Yes - hate to think what the public sector cuts will be next year.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just had a quick look at arivals at Heathrow. I am aware of the stuck abroad thread here, but concerned there are still an awful lot of flights coming in daily from New York.

What is the point of locking down the National Parks and beaches, if you are going to let hundreds in from an infection hotspot and then let them disappear to who knows where, via the London Underground, taxi and public transport.

Feels a little half arsed again!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes - hate to think what the public sector cuts will be next year.
I bet they're thinking "give to them now and they'll be forever grateful whilst we shaft them forever more"
Call me cynical

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here