Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's quite simple, take all the evidence on show which is everywhere and use your brain.

It's been clear and concise all the time, it just the idiots don't get it.

“A growing number of construction companies have said they will stop all non-essential work to help fight the coronavirus, but others continue to operate amid confusion over the government's advice.”

Yet more people confused by Boris and his mixed messages. This lot are from your industry as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh, you don't do empathy either then? Had a hunch that might be the case, hope you are prepared to "take one on the chin"?........

I do actually. Suspect your hunches aren't that accurate.

As for 'taking it on the chin', no I don't want to be one of the people who die from the coronavirus outbreak - stupid question to ask me - but the fact remains that some people will die, many of them (or us) before their natural time. The Prime Minister has rightly warned the country that this will happen; there is no way we can prevent it - but what we can and must do is minimise the number of people that die. That's why I'll not be going out or seeing any friends or family for the next 12 weeks.

Would you prefer a PM who just came on TV and said, it's fine, don't worry, nothing's going to happen to you? You'd rather he just came on and lied? I suppose it would give some welcome ammunition to the 'Boris has lied before so he's always lying' brigade, but that's about the only "plus" I can see!.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
“A growing number of construction companies have said they will stop all non-essential work to help fight the coronavirus, but others continue to operate amid confusion over the government's advice.”

Yet more people confused by Boris and his mixed messages. This lot are from your industry as well.

We received a message yesterday that said “The agreed position is the one set out by Shapps, Gove and Jenrick, that construction sites should continue to operate as normal, subject to observing PHE guidance.”

There is no specific PHE guidance that I can see relating to construction sites, so that’s cleared that up! :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just noticed that Trumps approval ratings have gone up over his " handling " of the virus outbreak despite his obvious lies, confusion and insensitivity. Oh and virus cases have jumped from 6334 to 54856 in the last seven days in the US.
That seems to have happened over this side of the pond too looking at the poll results for this thread, amazed to see how many people think he doing a " Superb" or " Good " job despite Johnson's lies, confusion and insensitivity..... there definitely seems to be a pattern forming, have so many of us been brainwashed to the extent that we just back " Our Guy " for good or bad because he is " Our Guy " whatever he does because it is impossible to accept criticism of him because it seems like criticism of ones self ? Sad days indeed when we get to this stage.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The information wasn’t clear. Here’s a selection of mixed messages from him.

1) Herd immunity is the way forward. Until the next day when this vat-shit mental idea is ditched.
2) Don’t go to pubs. But Boris doesn’t close pubs.
3) Don’t visit your mum on mother’s day...then let’s slip he will visit his mum.
4) Boris says he’s guided by science....in fact he repeatedly states this. Then states the “tide will turn” in 12 weeks. Goes silent when asked about the science behind this statement.

I could go on.

He’s a clown.

I agree with you on points 1, 3, and 4. Re the pubs etc, I think it was a reasonable idea to give the public the benefit of the doubt that we'd be capable of drastically reducing our visits to the pub, but allowing the businesses to function at a basic level. The public weren't able to do that, so the pubs had to be closed.

We can kick 1 into touch too. The whole "herd immunity" thing was modelling provided by Imperial College and then used by the government's scientific advisors.

When Imperial incorporated hard data coming out of China and then Italy into their modelling, the models changed and policy quickly moved with it.

Of course [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] would like to pin it on Boris Johnson - a leopard really can't change his spots - but he's completely wrong to do so. From his beloved bible:

"The modelling from Imperial College that underpinned the government’s belief that the nation could ride out the epidemic by letting the infection sweep through, creating “herd immunity” on the way, was more troubling.

The model, based on 13-year-old code for a long-feared influenza pandemic, assumed that the demand for intensive care units would be the same for both infections. Data from China soon showed this to be dangerously wrong, but the model was only updated when more data poured out of Italy, where intensive care was swiftly overwhelmed and deaths shot up."​

Soirce: https://www.theguardian.com/science...xposes-the-problems-and-pitfalls-of-modelling

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I really don’t think it would of mattered who’s in charge . I’m sure Corbyn would of followed the same experts advice . In time if Boris was or is wrong then he’ll be accountable, until then we are in this together like it or not .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't feel greatly comforted by a bumbling fop, but i agree that anyone helplessly in charge of this would struggle to seem heroic. Tis a time that we need a leader, but it feels quite a while since such a person existed.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I really don’t think it would of mattered who’s in charge . I’m sure Corbyn would of followed the same experts advice . In time if Boris was or is wrong then he’ll be accountable, until then we are in this together like it or not .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think this is about right.

Some very OTT comments on this thread, they haven't got everything right but you've got to be fair and acknowledge that we're living through something that hasn't happened for over 100 years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our opinions don’t matter. The opinions I see on Twitter from medical staff do, and they are pleading/begging for help.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just noticed that Trumps approval ratings have gone up over his " handling " of the virus outbreak despite his obvious lies, confusion and insensitivity. Oh and virus cases have jumped from 6334 to 54856 in the last seven days in the US.
That seems to have happened over this side of the pond too looking at the poll results for this thread, amazed to see how many people think he doing a " Superb" or " Good " job despite Johnson's lies, confusion and insensitivity..... there definitely seems to be a pattern forming, have so many of us been brainwashed to the extent that we just back " Our Guy " for good or bad because he is " Our Guy " whatever he does because it is impossible to accept criticism of him because it seems like criticism of ones self ? Sad days indeed when we get to this stage.

It’s the same worldwide, Macron is on record ratings, all leaders appearing presidential in a crisis.

Unfortunately this be the final nail in the 2020 Democrats campaign, even if 100,000’s unnecessarily die in the States. Rednecks and Rustbelt disciples in awe of racist Trump. Biden simply can’t get airtime any more.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Saw a job come up for a Porter in a local hospital, I was going to apply for it but, a friend who works there in admin said DON'T , they are short of PPE and what they have is being prioritised for doctors and nurses, ancillary staff are the very last on the list to get it. Film of Matt Hancock unloading masks and gloves does not solve the overall problem.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We can kick 1 into touch too. The whole "herd immunity" thing was modelling provided by Imperial College and then used by the government's scientific advisors.

When Imperial incorporated hard data coming out of China and then Italy into their modelling, the models changed and policy quickly moved with it.

Of course [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] would like to pin it on Boris Johnson - a leopard really can't change his spots - but he's completely wrong to do so. From his beloved bible:

"The modelling from Imperial College that underpinned the government’s belief that the nation could ride out the epidemic by letting the infection sweep through, creating “herd immunity” on the way, was more troubling.

The model, based on 13-year-old code for a long-feared influenza pandemic, assumed that the demand for intensive care units would be the same for both infections. Data from China soon showed this to be dangerously wrong, but the model was only updated when more data poured out of Italy, where intensive care was swiftly overwhelmed and deaths shot up."​

Soirce: https://www.theguardian.com/science...xposes-the-problems-and-pitfalls-of-modelling

My concern wasn’t so much the accuracy and/or the inputs of the model, more the basic theory. Due to the acceptance of vast numbers of deaths and minimal government intervention Boris’ initial response didn't strike me as a good starting point for a public health strategy. Your quote shows that something which, to me, was unpalatable and unacceptable at the start became even more unpalatable and unacceptable when the model was refined.

And the buck does stop with Boris. He is, after all, running the country. But I do agree, Patrick Vallance has to take some responsibility as well.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ventilator contracts for Brexit mates, parliament is closed now. It will be swept under the carpet..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Saw a job come up for a Porter in a local hospital, I was going to apply for it but, a friend who works there in admin said DON'T , they are short of PPE and what they have is being prioritised for doctors and nurses, ancillary staff are the very last on the list to get it. Film of Matt Hancock unloading masks and gloves does not solve the overall problem.

Hospitals have been pleading to schools for safety goggles for protection. They have to be plastic sided not elasticated.
Our health workers are desperate but Parliament has closed for Easter recess.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1243141852473315329[/TWEET]

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Friend of mine posted the following on Facebook: Four reasons why people saying Boris is doing a good job are talking nonsense. Pretty much agree with all of this.

20200326_175142.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
[TWEET]1243141852473315329[/TWEET]

About turn! Didn't receive the invite in time due to a communications problem. Yeah alright Dominic, what about this then?

The UK has instead chosen to source ventilators from British manufacturers who have never made the products before, ordering 10,000 machines from the household appliance firm Dyson.

Asked why the UK was not taking part, the prime minister’s official spokesman said: “We are no longer members of the EU.” He also stressed that the UK was “making our own efforts” in this area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here