Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How connected do you feel to the club's values?

How connected do you feel to the Albion?

• As the Albion change, I feel more connected

Votes: 41 15.5%
  • Things are largely the same as they ever were

Votes: 59 22.3%
  • As the Albion change, I feel more disconnected

Votes: 118 44.5%
  • I don't care - I just want to watch some football

Votes: 47 17.7%

• Total voters

Neither more nor less connected. I can't tell a lie, I ENJOY going to the Albion. I love my comfy seat, I love that there actually is AN ATMOSPHERE at most games rather than tumbleweed of withdean, I love having a decent PINT, and on occasion a decent PIE. I also enjoy the freedom to wander round the different stands after a game without feeling like I have to make a run for the train or bus.

And oh yes, the football ain't bad most of the time either.

I know we lost to Palace at the weekend, and the club have not covered themselves in glory with their narrow-minded response to safe-standing, but anyone trying to convince me going to watch the Albion is a thankless and joyless experience is not going to succeed.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
In the old days I had a meeting with Pat Saward (then manager) at the ground once with a handful of fans to discuss who to buy. Every week the Seagull Lottery (thinking here as we may not have been the Seagulls yet) but the lottery draw was held in a local pub or venue and two players would be present. In the old days the team would travel back with us on the train, yes really. Getting tickets to away games was easy.
I went to just about every game for ten years or so between 1970 and 1979, home and away. I flew to Newcastle to watch THAT match in 1979. But having done the dream of reaching the top I lost interest. Away games became impossible with tickets in big demand and huge costs. We got moved from the East to the West to accommodate away fans.
Now I'm back and a STH in the East. Would I change anything that we have today, NO.
But just like Pat Saward and the players of old, lets have more club/fan interaction.
The club want money from us, that's what a business is all about. But we want something in return. How about having a 'signing session' with a player a day in the town shop and the AMEX signing Albion scarves, DVD's etc. I know the comments back will be 'give me xxxxxxx so I can smack him in the mouth'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But just like Pat Saward and the players of old, lets have more club/fan interaction.
The club want money from us, that's what a business is all about. But we want something in return. How about having a 'signing session' with a player a day in the town shop and the AMEX signing Albion scarves, DVD's etc.

er - this already happens, pretty regularly.

Every half term break, there are signing sessions at the Stadium shop, and player appearances at the Sporting Dreams charity shop in George Street.

eg:

Players Signing at Calendar Launch

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I had no idea. In which case maybe a bit more advertising of the events.
Was that a one of or have they done it since?

I can remember at least 6 occassions in the last 18 months or so. Always advertised in the programs, and I think on the official site.

Kusczcak, Bruno, Calderon and Bridcutt have definitely all done George Street signings. Others too, I think.

Oct 11, 2005
London
I'm VERY worried about the way this club is being run. As a season ticket holder for over 26yrs I'm actually for the first time ever, considering only watching us away from home.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes I do, but I would like to see the values of the club more explicitly stated and enshrined in the club.

There is a values statement in the club charter, but I think it can be strengthened. I'd want to see our values in everything we do.

There are already great signs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm VERY worried about the way this club is being run. As a season ticket holder for over 26yrs I'm actually for the first time ever, considering only watching us away from home.

Elaborate, please?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes I do, but I would like to see the values of the club more explicitly stated and enshrined in the club.

There is a values statement in the club charter, but I think it can be strengthened. I'd want to see our values in everything we do.

There are already great signs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bring Archer back

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
... and, may I suggest, that because two years ago, everyone else's ground was better than ours.

Nowadays, that's not the case.

Very much so. I feel like I get my football fixes from going to the Amex so do not feel the urge to go away.

I love nearly everything about the Amex apart from charging £34-39 for a standard match. I would really like to see cheap students tickets for the thousands of students that live on the on site campuses.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's just not felt the same since that lovely Belotteli bloke was forced out.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Connected and proud. But a little bit dies each time we are described as customers.

I honestly do still feel that if I had occasion to I could arrange to have a chat with the chairman. Not that I have ever done that under TB or Uncle Dick.

I do have reservations about Hebberd. I don't think he understands football.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The one thing that worries me is the "guilty and no opportunity to prove your innocence" attitude which appears to exist and indiscriminate power hungry stewarding, which hopefully will be looked into after the last two games before it gets out of hand.

Everything else, especially the facilities on here "ask the club "ask the police" are probably second to no other club.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009

14 yrs ST and counting. Im happy with the way things are being run, but recognise it is more a business relationship these days.

In an age when enterprise businesses are cultivating one-to-one relationships with their customers via social media etc, and having their every action dissected for evidence of poor customer care, I can see the whole thing getting quite out of hand and disaffection taking hold and spreading as a result of excessive stewarding, bans for 1901ers who confront away fans, people scalded to death on hot pies in the WSU etc etc. The club need to do more to personalise their relationship with individual fans IMHO

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Interesting thread. I think the presence of Tony Bloom (and Dick Knight as life president) makes a big difference (but it's a shame Martin Perry is leaving as I have reservations about Barber...). These people are fans and know our history. The day I will feel disconnected is when we are taken over by a Middle-Eastern conglomerate or some other overseas company or entrepreneur with no previous connection to the club. I sometimes wonder how Man City fans feel - yes, they are now one of the best teams in the country but is it even Man City anymore? One example of a club that has well and truly lost its soul.

Last edited:

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Great thread this. I must say I am very worried also about how the club is being run. It does seem they don't give a shite about loyal fans and are just interested in making money. I will give you an example. I needed to cancel my season ticket and was told that this was not possible and I would have to carry on until the end of the season. What are you supposed to do if you have lost your job and cannot afford the £50 direct debit? The catering situation is quite frankly a farce and the quality of pies/ service is dreadful this season. I also think as mentioned selling the expensive tickets for home matches first is wrong. I do love the Amex and realise that it has to be paid for but sometimes I do miss the Fawlty towers approach of Dick Tight and the Withdean- everyone knew everyone- it was a closer feel. If things carry on I would seroiusly consider looking at going to Whitehawk matches or support the idea of an AFC Brighton!

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
As I said above, I will always feel connected to the Albion: they are the team I love. Nothing will ever change that.
Answering Bozza's question as he intended it: ie current administration/modus operandi/matchday experience
The way the club responded to our input in the planning stage of the new stadium was great as far as I'm concerned, and the museum plans are coming on apace now, with Tim Carder in full control as he should be, which is testimony to the fact that the Board recognises the importance and uniqueness of our history. That's great.
I love the new stadium and the part we played in achieving it, and being able to just watch an Albion game with my wife rather than having to DO STUFF makes a real change :)
The pre match build up is as annoying to me as my musical selections were to many at Withdean, but I know it's what 'the kids' want, so these days we arrive just before kick off :)
Constantly being 'marketed at' makes me laugh, but it's inevitable: that happens everywhere these days

Until today's sudden and brusque rebuttal of even the concept of safe standing, I was pretty confident that the Board would take fans' concerns on board, as had always been done in the past, and if they weren't in agreement would consult with us before making bald unilateral statements.

Personally, I want to stand on a (modern) terrace with a pint in my hand and cheer on my team, knowing that everyone who wanted to come to the game could afford to get in, that they could choose to sit or stand, and that we, the fans, are creating the atmosphere in the stadium the way we want to, independent of club diktat or pre packaged 'atmosphere creating', as long as it is safe and within the law. I understand why that is not possible now. I refuse to accept that it never will be. I voted for the third option.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
I feel more connected I think, strangely. I can see why some people would have preferred the Withdean years, as at times, it felt like there was only 4000 of us, and it felt quite personal, in the little ground, with our try-hard-but-often-not-very-good players. I love the buzz of the team we are building, the facilities are awesome, it is good to see the club become more business like and look to build a self sustainable future. If some fans get lost along the way, by being priced out or similar, that is sad, but it happens unfortunately.

Fine. Then why call it the "community" stadium when, because of business necessities admittedly, the prices are only affordable for a certain aspect of the community. In comparison to what's on offer, it would be like calling Chelsea's ground "Stamford Community Bridge". It just doesn't make sense, imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here