Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How connected do you feel to the club's values?

How connected do you feel to the Albion?

• As the Albion change, I feel more connected

Votes: 41 15.5%
  • Things are largely the same as they ever were

Votes: 59 22.3%
  • As the Albion change, I feel more disconnected

Votes: 118 44.5%
  • I don't care - I just want to watch some football

Votes: 47 17.7%

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
More disconnected. I was talking last night to my old Withdean Family Stand partner-in-crime [MENTION=11670]Hove Seagull[/MENTION] and we both are not feeling the love with the Amex. I much prefer away days now.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Neither more nor less connected. I can't tell a lie, I ENJOY going to the Albion. I love my comfy seat, I love that there actually is AN ATMOSPHERE at most games rather than tumbleweed of withdean, I love having a decent PINT, and on occasion a decent PIE. I also enjoy the freedom to wander round the different stands after a game without feeling like I have to make a run for the train or bus.

And oh yes, the football ain't bad most of the time either.

I know we lost to Palace at the weekend, and the club have not covered themselves in glory with their narrow-minded response to safe-standing, but anyone trying to convince me going to watch the Albion is a thankless and joyless experience is not going to succeed.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There's a lot of talk, much of it justifiable, about the changing face of the Albion.

Bit by bit, the slightly Fawlty Towers-eque cottage industry Albion of old is being replaced by a lean, mean, money-making machine.

Do you feel connected to the values of the Albion?

Could all of us club together and get you a wooden spoon for Christmas ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I love the Amex and the football but I felt more connected watching us at Withdean when we were shit because it was a smaller, more commited close-knit community. Watching us lose in the rain with 5000 fans had a certain amount of dedication/mental issues.

The Amex and season ticket prices at the moment are spot on in my opinion, a fair price for a very good product.I would start to lose connectivity if ticket prices become £50 odd should we go up. I have already chosen not to do away games this season due to the cost. Though these feelings would be a loss of faith in football rather than the Albion specifically.

... and, may I suggest, that because two years ago, everyone else's ground was better than ours.

Nowadays, that's not the case.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it is going too far the wrong way at the moment. I appreciate the ground has to be paid for and players and agents have to be paid ridiculous amounts before they will be bothered to get out of bed but I do feel we are more customers as opposed to fans these days. I think a balance is needed. A few nods to being viewed as a supporter or concessions would make a huge huge difference. It's supposed to be a football club, I'm not sure I always feel I am part of a club.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
We have a wonderful stadium, paid for by a fan of the club.

In that stadium I have three seats bought at a very reasonable cost, though an interest free direct debit.

At that stadium I can walk along the concourse eating a local pie and drinking a local pint, chosen to reflect the wishes of the fans, whilst looking at artwork on the walls, contributed by fans, including myself.

Its absolutely still OUR club. Its just being run professionally, that's all. You simply cannot manage a club the size that the Albion has grown to, in the cottage industry fashion that existed before. It would be an utter disaster.

I do agree with this. However, without starting fresh debates/arguments, the treatment of Gully's Girls and the answer to the Safe Standing question is disappointing. I can understand why the club have to become more stream lined and professional, whilst looking to maximise their profits, but just feel like I'm not in love with the club as I once was. I'm not on the verge of abandoning games or anything, but something just feels like it's changed for me. Perhaps I'm alone in this and it's more to do with me, than the club though.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I don't really feel more or less connected with the club than I have ever done previously, its just a different experience - just like going to Gillingham was different than going to the Goldstone, and different again at Withdean.

What has surprised me is that I feel more disconnected from other fans than I did before - maybe because there are so many more of them in the ground on a regular basis than I've ever experienced in my 27 years of watching! And certainly after the humourless binfestery of the past few days - far too many people with unrealistic expectations.

I do love the Amex though, and I'm glad that I'm sat with some familiar faces from Withdean, and that my Dad has rejoined the fold.

Don't care about feeling connected, I'm not the type to need to feel loved by anything or anyone apart from my wife, kids and grand kids.

But I don't like to feel like I'm being milked either.

If they bring back chips I'll forgive them anything.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Could all of us club together and get you a wooden spoon for Christmas ?

You've got no idea if...

a) I am trying to make a point.
b) What that point might be, if there is one.

...but I'll happily divulge when this one has run for a bit longer.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
As of this date, I genuinely can't see how things could have turned out better for this club after the turmoil of the homeless years. The club has effectively been rebuilt from top to bottom but the momentum has all come from fans, from the humblest letter to the planning authorities to the millions pumped in by Tony Bloom. It wasn't the work of a Russian billionaire or an American sports company. It was us lot.

Personally I think it's remarkable how well the club and its stadium reflect the values and aspirations of supporters. Yes, they may run out of pies and yes, our new right back may come from La Liga and not the Sussex County League, but I can live with that kind of progress.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS not moaning, I love my seat, the view and the facilities available to me; it is everything I dreamed off and I got everything I wanted. I even love dressing up for 1901. My main gripe is all the annoying small price increases here and there, £10 for a re-printed ticket etc.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I have watched the Albion at four stadiums now and I prefer it now we are at the Amex with crowds of 25000.

However I dislike it when there are two strong opposing views at our club and I start to feel bit disconnected then. For example a previous manager split us (I actually wanted us to lose, so he would get the sack. Long term the club would be better off without him....and we were.) and I have started to feel this way a little again due to arguments about certain players. It was fine when we all hated Archer as we were one and it was great when Zamora was around because we all loved him. I Dislike it when there are two strong opposing views at our club and I start to feel bit disconnected then.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I do agree with this. However, without starting fresh debates/arguments, the treatment of Gully's Girls and the answer to the Safe Standing question is disappointing. I can understand why the club have to become more stream lined and professional, whilst looking to maximise their profits, but just feel like I'm not in love with the club as I once was. I'm not on the verge of abandoning games or anything, but something just feels like it's changed for me. Perhaps I'm alone in this and it's more to do with me, than the club though.

This is very much how I feel. There's even instances where I don't feel I get the personal touch like I did before but I guess that's because we have so many new supporters.

On the whole I'm very happy though and recognise the club needs to evolve to more forward.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
PS not moaning, I love my seat, the view and the facilities available to me; it is everything I dreamed off and I got everything I wanted. I even love dressing up for 1901. My main gripe is all the annoying small price increases here and there, £10 for a re-printed ticket etc.

I had to pay £20 at Withdean for mine. :(

In answer to the question, I'm no more and no less connected to its values. I keep my nose peeled and ears to the grindstone as to what's going on, what's being announced and how much it will cost.

I feel the channels of communication are still open - we had an opinion on the club's stance over 'safe-standing' brought to us via a method not every club has (i.e. fans' forum). The Police Liaison Officer has a sub-forum here, and everyone at the club's email address is known to everyone (or rather, ought to be).

They still support REMF, and they still back charity work undertaken by Brighton fans.

In summary, of course things have changed, but as long as we can achieve success while retaining our 'soul' - a fine balance admittedly - I'd be happy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I feel the channels of communication are still open - we had an opinion on the club's stance over 'safe-standing' brought to us via a method not every club has (i.e. fans' forum). The Police Liaison Officer has a sub-forum here, and everyone at the club's email address is known to everyone (or rather, ought to be).

They still support REMF, and they still back charity work undertaken by Brighton fans.

In summary, of course things have changed, but as long as we can achieve success while retaining our 'soul' - a fine balance admittedly - I'd be happy.

Good post.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't feel like I want to be connected. The club is bigger than any one person, there will always be a Brighton and Hove Albion. As a season ticket holder I am a stakeholder, and I feel that I am respected by the club in that sense. But I will always show up to watch our team play, so what's happening at the club isn't really the driving factor in my decision to go. I was a proud and passionate Brighton fan at Withdean, and I'm just as passionate but much prouder at the Amex.

I wish we'd retain the occaisonal 3pm kick off on a saturday though!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I feel more connected I think, strangely. I can see why some people would have preferred the Withdean years, as at times, it felt like there was only 4000 of us, and it felt quite personal, in the little ground, with our try-hard-but-often-not-very-good players. I love the buzz of the team we are building, the facilities are awesome, it is good to see the club become more business like and look to build a self sustainable future. If some fans get lost along the way, by being priced out or similar, that is sad, but it happens unfortunately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here