Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can the Amex create a big match atmosphere?

Jan 30, 2008
I am not sure that is really matters these days Rory. Many years ago whenever we went up and down the country becaus we were a " small club" we felt we actually mattered when we made a racket and a lot of the fans actually knew the players and a lot of the players had been with the club for years, so you felt like it was your club.

These days with revolving doors and players coming and going every other season, as well as the clubs view that we are punters, not fans, it is not the same.

The demographics of football has changed and the days where there was constant singing and a wall of noise, like you used to get has been replaced by comfortable seating, families and a removal of the intimidating atmosphere in grounds has all led to a sterilised experience. Not saying that is a bad thing!

But people are happy to stand and watch these days.
Dogging???
regards
DR

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Was there REALLY a wall of noise at the Goldstone, folks, or are we looking back with rather rose-tinted spectacles?

I loved the Goldstone as much as everyone else did, and there were some great times there, but I think it's stretching it a bit to claim it was a continual cauldron of atmosphere (much like most grounds). I suspect it's a case of us all looking back to our younger, earliest footballing days with a certain nostalgia, and imagining things to be slightly better than they often were. I bet if I was somehow able to revisit the Goldstone (as it was) now, it would look a hell of a lot smaller than I remember for one thing.

Jan 30, 2008
Was there REALLY a wall of noise at the Goldstone, folks, or are we looking back with rather rose-tinted spectacles?

I loved the Goldstone as much as everyone else did, and there were some great times there, but I think it's stretching it a bit to claim it was a continual cauldron of atmosphere (much like most grounds). I suspect it's a case of us all looking back to our younger, earliest footballing days with a certain nostalgia, and imagining things to be slightly better than they often were. I bet if I was somehow able to revisit the Goldstone (as it was) now, it would look a hell of a lot smaller than I remember for one thing.
Well even the West stand got involved at times:rolleyes:, remember playing Bournemouth when there was 10k in the ground and we drew 3.3.......... PROPER NOISE THEM DAYS :ascarf:
regards
DR

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

This.

The Goldstone was a sodding MORGUE half the time, throughout the 80s and early 90s.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The Goldstone atmosphere was very often rubbish. That's a fact. Another fact is that the Amex atmosphere is better the VAST majority of other grounds generated by home supporter except for massive games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At the Amex, every single evening game, every single person has one eye on the game and one eye on the clock and how to 'beat the rush' and get home within a reasonable timeframe. A good transport system should be like a good referee IMHO, you barely register that they are even there.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Stick 8,000 in the amex and see what you get??? 30k in the goldstone big match atmosphere 30k at the amex and:ffsparr:

Regardless of numbers the West and South stand at The Goldstone BARELY EVER sang from the mid 80s onwards. Only ever the North and East on occasion. Stop rewriting history you utterly tedious troll.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
At the Amex, every single evening game, every single person has one eye on the game and one eye on the clock and how to 'beat the rush' and get home within a reasonable timeframe. A good transport system should be like a good referee IMHO, you barely register that they are even there.

After Friday's debacle I've now got a much better "escape route" planned out. No more leaving on 85 for me.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

what about 'one-eyes'

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
At the Amex, every single evening game, every single person has one eye on the game and one eye on the clock and how to 'beat the rush' and get home within a reasonable timeframe.

I don't :shrug:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At the Amex, every single evening game, every single person has one eye on the game and one eye on the clock and how to 'beat the rush' and get home within a reasonable timeframe

Well I don't, so that's a good start.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Although I was always a North Stand boy the early 80s saw a brief spell we we got quite a sing up going in the North end of the east. IIRC it only lasted a season or two though

It's around that time that a exodus from the north moved into the east as that was the closest you could get to the away fans due to the no mans land section , unless the shandy has dulled my memory most of the Eclipse lads moved over to the east for at least a season , the Norwich FA Cup quarter final game was football banter at its brutal best between the two sets of fans , it's also the last time i can remember doing the knees up mother brown song with full surge effects .

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
One ****ing dull poster. No idea why i torture myself reading his middle aged garbage.

An inventory would let you see that the middle aged man doesn't care if he is torturing anyone and that you are the only one responsible for freeing yourself from the torture. Why don't you actually give up NSC or stop BLOODY typing about it being torture?

4243644-A-young-man-wearing-a-suit-with-a-fluorescent-light-bulb-over-his-head-isolated-against-a-white-back-Stock-Photo.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here