Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can the Amex create a big match atmosphere?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
There was no Fanzone & no Ring of Fire on Friday. Make of that what you will.

I think it was more to do with so many late arrivals and them being rightly annoyed.

hope fully there will not be such a late rush as on Friday - the transport may still not be good, but with so many off work, then one can allow for this by starting earlier from home. I hope that the fanzone comes on again, and we revert to the usual pattern to whip up the fans.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
At the Amex, every single evening game, every single person has one eye on the game and one eye on the clock and how to 'beat the rush' and get home within a reasonable timeframe. A good transport system should be like a good referee IMHO, you barely register that they are even there.

They must all look like Marty Feldman.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Do nt understand this thread. I stood on half way line for years at Goldstone and no comparison with Amex. I think atmosphere is good and love every minute of games at Amex. The atmosphere for any game depends on how game is panning out. If we are pushing for winner or equaliser of course noise will be greater. If we are honest the way game was going in last half hour on Sat most of supporters were accepting draw would not be bad result. I have watched games in last 2 years at Bournmouth, Olympic Stadium, Wembley and Arsenal and can assure you Amex atmosphere was is as good as any. Also watched game in Germany with really on a another level. For 2 reasons they had an anthem that went on for 10 mins that all crowd sung and the 8000 standing behind goal sung all game. The only comparison I know here is at Anfield with Your never walk alone.
Would be great if everybody was is in there seats 10mins before KO. but a lot like myself is enjoying a drink with friends in concourse. Can assure you lots of opposition supporters would love to have a concourse the size of ours at there club

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Do nt understand this thread. I stood on half way line for years at Goldstone and no comparison with Amex. I think atmosphere is good and love every minute of games at Amex. The atmosphere for any game depends on how game is panning out. If we are pushing for winner or equaliser of course noise will be greater. If we are honest the way game was going in last half hour on Sat most of supporters were accepting draw would not be bad result. I have watched games in last 2 years at Bournmouth, Olympic Stadium, Wembley and Arsenal and can assure you Amex atmosphere was is as good as any. Also watched game in Germany with really on a another level. For 2 reasons they had an anthem that went on for 10 mins that all crowd sung and the 8000 standing behind goal sung all game. The only comparison I know here is at Anfield with Your never walk alone.
Would be great if everybody was is in there seats 10mins before KO. but a lot like myself is enjoying a drink with friends in concourse. Can assure you lots of opposition supporters would love to have a concourse the size of ours at there club

Hard to disagree with this. The team also has an obligation to perform and battle on the pitch, which in turn gets the fans going. I have always maintained that Albion fans are like any others - given the right cocktail of excitement, anticipation, importance of the result etc etc, the atmosphere at the Amex is as good as anywhere; could the Sheff Wed match have been any louder? Like most fans, I like a beer or four on the concourse, but always aim to be at my seat for the fanzone.

We need clappers.
We need an announcer who calls out the first name of every goalscorer and then we all respond with the player's surname.
We need the words to every song written large on the screen and designated choirmasters in every block of every stand (preferably synchronised by GPS to lead timely co-ordinated singing).
We need Club Shop or pie incentives for all those who sing in excess of 85dB.

Better than any of the above, we may need more people to just get over their Englishness and be prepared to take a leap of faith and start songs whenever they feel like it, without seeking prior written confirmation from everyone else that more will join in too.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
We need clappers.
We need an announcer who calls out the first name of every goalscorer and then we all respond with the player's surname.
We need the words to every song written large on the screen and designated choirmasters in every block of every stand (preferably synchronised by GPS to lead timely co-ordinated singing).
We need Club Shop or pie incentives for all those who sing in excess of 85dB.

Better than any of the above, we may need more people to just get over their Englishness and be prepared to take a leap of faith and start songs whenever they feel like it, without seeking prior written confirmation from everyone else that more will join in too.

Agree with all the above. Plus, I think a Dj (Fatboyslim) should do a continuous set throughout the 90 mins of play. It works in Nightclubs, why wouldn't it work in Football clubs?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don't get to many home games, but get to a few of the northern away games - so much of my Amex experience is via the telly. But it always sounds decent to me - better than some of the other games you get on TV. And places like Wigan and Blackburn are like a library by comaprison, even with a drum.

During the Villa game the commentator mentioned the atmosphere quite a few times. He said something at the start along the lines of 'always an excellent atmosphere here at the Amex', and midway through the first half he commented that the Brighton fans who were 'normally so fervent' had been quietened by Villa's play and weren't even booing Jedinak.

If a commentator, who will get to a lot of games in a lot of grounds, is speaking favourable about the Amex atmosphere - are we not being a little hard on ourselves?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don't get to many home games, but get to a few of the northern away games - so much of my Amex experience is via the telly. But it always sounds decent to me - better than some of the other games you get on TV. And places like Wigan and Blackburn are like a library by comaprison, even with a drum.

During the Villa game the commentator mentioned the atmosphere quite a few times. He said something at the start along the lines of 'always an excellent atmosphere here at the Amex', and midway through the first half he commented that the Brighton fans who were 'normally so fervent' had been quietened by Villa's play and weren't even booing Jedinak.

If a commentator, who will get to a lot of games in a lot of grounds, is speaking favourable about the Amex atmosphere - are we not being a little hard on ourselves?

Spot on -Albion fans can be as loud and passionate as anyone.

I think you are right its got a decent record its just that it doesn't go up a gear for the big games, 25,000+in the old days would generate excitement in itself,cameras don't do us any favours facing the family stand,a west stand back drop would look alot better on tv!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think you are right its got a decent record its just that it doesn't go up a gear for the big games, 25,000+in the old days would generate excitement in itself,cameras don't do us any favours facing the family stand,a west stand back drop would look alot better on tv!

But you know as well as I do that we never got 'regular ' crowds of 25K plus. The goldstone was a f***ing morgue a lot of the time (unless it was different pre 1965 when I started ). This is as good as it gets and you and ppf are missing it.

Still, your choice

And I think my memory must be going, what was the atmosphere like the last time we had 28k plus for 3 consecutive league games in NOVEMBER?

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

That may well be because 25,000 would not have been the norm. There is always room for improvement, atmosphere-wise, but on the whole it is not bad. I agree with what you say about the cameras, though that has little to do with the atmosphere.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At the Amex, every single evening game, every single person has one eye on the game and one eye on the clock and how to 'beat the rush' and get home within a reasonable timeframe. A good transport system should be like a good referee IMHO, you barely register that they are even there.

Nah not me. I park 30 mins walk away, cheer the guys off and get home an hour after the game ends after a nice stroll. No drama.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
you could hear the Goldstone down on the seafront
regards
DR

Could hear withdean from my garden. Still shit atmosphere. Amex v Donny, st Patrick's day, burnley, Sheffield Wednesday better than anything I remember from goldstone. Probably missed the big games when you were in your pomp though.

Jan 30, 2008
Could hear withdean from my garden. Still shit atmosphere. Amex v Donny, st Patrick's day, burnley, Sheffield Wednesday better than anything I remember from goldstone. Probably missed the big games when you were in your pomp though.
you're entitled to your opinion , plenty of Goldstone barn stormers in the memory bank thanks ,The Amex is just to aaaaaaaaaalbion àaaaaaaaaaaaaaalbion for me
Regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here