Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Houghton out

houghton out or in

• Total voters

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Jeez louise, I'm not a member of the hurriedly beheading crew. We're not a wonder to behold at present and quite horrible to watch away from home, but there's a lot to do to rebuild this side and i trust his levelheadedness to bring that about. Every manager deserves a chance, and Hughton hasn't fully had his yet, so let's not cry for his bonce before a side of his making can either bore or excite. And let's turn off the childish hatred of Best. He might be a cock, but classifying him as a truly evil man giving nothing to the side, whilst jeering his every touch, is somewhat ludicrous. He's one of the worst strike forces we've ever spent a horrid amount of money on, but he's not the ghost of Nick Cotton.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You won't hear me complaining if he were to do that!

But I don't think it's the answer. I'm happy with Chris Hughton, and I think that he's going to have control of the summer window and bring in players who know this league and can get us on the move up the table. He's a man who knows what he's doing, and is capable of taking the club forward, I have no doubt about that at all. We just all need to be patient, which is much easier said than done.

No, I didn't think so. I think with hindsight we can maybe see the impact he made, the difference he made. But he had a far better squad for that level than the one Hughton has inherited. Gus was able to add Lee Hendrie and a young Ashley Barnes to the squad, Hughton has only been able to add Kayal and the abysmal disgrace otherwise known as Leon "Best".

Hughton is the man to take us forward, but it's not as easy to back him right now as I'd like it to be.

That all seems far too sensible for this site in general and this thread in particular at the moment.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sack him now, swallow your ego Bloom/Barber and get Gus back straight away to get us back on the road.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Abstain on this one, ridiculous to even suggest this.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Much though I like the idea, I don't think Gus would come back.

And I have a feeling that with CH, wherever we are going to be next season, things will be moving fairly quickly - are probably moving even now - after the end of this season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Much though I like the idea, I don't think Gus would come back.

And I have a feeling that with CH, wherever we are going to be next season, things will be moving fairly quickly - are probably moving even now - after the end of this season.

I don't agree I believe if Tony asked him and Barber was gone Gus Tanno and Charlie would jump at the chance to pick up where they left off.

DerbyCanary

Dec 31, 2014
Amazing how I was shot down and ridiculed when he signed, and I told you this was how it would go, and yet so soon, there's a good proportion who want him gone or are on the fence.

Either way, he's a nice bloke but just not a good manager imo. No Plan B, and no clue what to do when his teams go behind in games.

You're pretty much safe now, but it does make me wonder if the board have a decision to make in the summer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't really see that he's done much wrong. In fact, if you had told me in December that we would be six points clear of the bottom three in April I'd have bitten your arm off.

I also don't believe he's negative. He's consistently played an attacking front three (or an attacking two plus Calderon, with Teixeira in the middle to compensate). It's not his fault he's got the most appalling selection of strikers it is possible to imagine at this level and no goalscoring midfielders. A top side in this division would have three players capable of scoring 15 in a season. We haven't even got one who could dream of eight.

Plus, I am baffled by those who say we aren't any better than we were under Hyypia. It's only a few weeks ago that we played better against Leeds than we did in any game I can remember last season. And we had good home wins against Birmingham, Ipswich and Derby (although we didn't actually play very well in the latter). Can you imagine ANY of those happening under Hyypia?

Next season will show whether he's a top manager in this division or merely a safe pair of hands, but I certainly don't think he's any worse than that. Just look at his record.

Agreed.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was at Wigan today...and I am always positive, and give the benefit of the doubt
But today I have had enough of the man
I don't think he has a clue...tactics, set up, substitutions etc
The Norwich fans were right about his abilities or lack of
On the pitch he fails to motivate..Wigan were so poor, not won at home since August
They were there for the taking..where was the motivation and the passion?
Nathan Jones showed that, and the points he gained in his short time in charge will keep us up
I believe CH will achieve nothing, next season will be another struggle with him in charge

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I understand the idea of giving him the summer to buy some players he wants, but if they are shit like Leon Best then Hughton will be gone and we will stuck with them for another season and as we know we don't buy players in January.
I am really not sure what the best way forward is, is it get shot of him now and bring in someone like Mark Warburton and let him buy some player and start fresh or risk a summer and next season under Hughton. Heard that he did not bother to acknowledge our fans today and just went straight down the tunnel, very disrespectful imo

To be fair he also signed Kayal who is excellent. Best is 'only' a loan player and perhaps was the best we could get at the time, and given Baldocks injury, we were probably after numbers.

In terms of whether he waves or not, so what? All a bit shallow if we dependant on whether someone waves, though he did empathise with the supporters in terms of today's performance. CMS always claps the fans and it certainly doesn't improve his performances.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I don't really see that he's done much wrong. In fact, if you had told me in December that we would be six points clear of the bottom three in April I'd have bitten your arm off.

I also don't believe he's negative. He's consistently played an attacking front three (or an attacking two plus Calderon, with Teixeira in the middle to compensate). It's not his fault he's got the most appalling selection of strikers it is possible to imagine at this level and no goalscoring midfielders. A top side in this division would have three players capable of scoring 15 in a season. We haven't even got one who could dream of eight.

Plus, I am baffled by those who say we aren't any better than we were under Hyypia. It's only a few weeks ago that we played better against Leeds than we did in any game I can remember last season. And we had good home wins against Birmingham, Ipswich and Derby (although we didn't actually play very well in the latter). Can you imagine ANY of those happening under Hyypia?

Next season will show whether he's a top manager in this division or merely a safe pair of hands, but I certainly don't think he's any worse than that. Just look at his record.

Return of the Badger.

All is well in my world.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
The fans that traveled today don't earn anywhere near the same kind of money as those guys get paid so for me they should all show some proper respect to the fact that people have spent hard earned cash to go and watch them hundreds of miles from home. I did not go and I take my hat off to the traveling crew as we always take a big away support. We all have bad days at work and things don't go as we want them to, but if we all did our jobs really badly for five months then sulked off making excuses im sure we would be sacked (without a massive pay off). I think the fact there as so many loan players in the side who dont give a toss does not help as it does not matter to them they go back to parent clubs and carry on no worries.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
I think the next criteria for our next manager should be,
atack minded and has a plan b. And prepared to play 2 up top, should it not work out all season with just 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here