Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeless in Brighton

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Don't know why they all don't go out and commit crimes, go to prison then on release they'll have somewhere to stay. 1994 I went to prison for 3 years and had nowhere to live when I came out and said keep my cell warm and they found me accommodation. Nice room and used it as a base and got a job then in 98 bought a flat and haven't looked back till this thread.

That's fantastic.Well done .

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-14307807

It is a problem, it's getting worse and will only get worse if Cameron and Osbourne insist on bringing this country to its knees. How is this to get better if funding to B&H city council is to reduce by 30million next year? 'Got any spare change mate?'
I used to hear that through the late 80's to early 90's all the time around derelict Churchill square.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
We should be proud to support a club which is doing its bit to support those in our society who are vulnerable and homeless. AITC is a part of that of course plus support this year for two charities one of which, Off The Fence, works with the homeless in the City. However someone ends up on the street we have a responsibility to assist them in staying safe, healthy and with the opportunity to rebuild their life. http://bit.ly/1Fe94W1

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Well, you would say that, wouldn't you?

Labour's only financial crime was not putting these people in jail.

I'm not saying it to make a point about Labor, like I said I don't believe this issue (financial crimes leading up to 2008) to be political.

I'm saying it to question the point you tried to make about conservatives. I don't see how the situation in 2008 can be considered related to conservative politics, conservatives were not in government in the decade preceding 2008.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No one is claiming Labour didn't make some huge mistakes and should have got spending under control but cutting 12billion from the most vulnerable in society is not the answer. We have a housing crisis and people using food banks. It's Britain, it's 2015, we simply should not be in this mess.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I used to run a volunteer group in Brighton giving hot food and drinks to Brighton's homeless and I volunteer at Shelter most Christmas's. I am also setting up a scheme to employ homeless people in my business, providing training, accommodation and work to people with NFA. It's a start.

It is a good start, better than the money I give and sorry for ranting.
I think the current Government could do more in this area, and should, but something else would have to be cut deeper.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

be careful you will get a thumbs down from smirko ......whoever he/she is
thumbs down but no comment ....................somewhat strange

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I think the current Government could do more in this area, and should, but something else would have to be cut deeper.

slow down immigration to allow the homeless to be housed rather than someone coming in the country and being housed straight away??

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don't know why they all don't go out and commit crimes, go to prison then on release they'll have somewhere to stay. 1994 I went to prison for 3 years and had nowhere to live when I came out and said keep my cell warm and they found me accommodation. Nice room and used it as a base and got a job then in 98 bought a flat and haven't looked back till this thread.

Have you thought of setting up a careers advice service ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

No problem. To be fair it's not just Tories, no recent government has done enough to address homelessness.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have a housing crisis and people using food banks. It's Britain, it's 2015, we simply should not be in this mess.
Of course we want our governments to do what they can, but with our limited housing supply, open borders, and the situation worse elsewhere in Europe, I can't see how it's not always going to be a bit of a mess.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We've the 6th highest GDP in the world and a homeless crisis.

You do the maths.

Can I live in a large GDP?

GDP is a measure of how much money changes hands in an economy, it does not tell you how much was borrowed. If house prices go up, buyers need to borrow more to buy one, GDP goes up. How does that help the homeless?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
UK net migration last year was just under 300'000 (not including illegals) - so that means a million or so extra people in the UK over next few years - on top of the level of net migration over the previous few years. (For comparison, net migration in 1995 was about zero). Then there is the increased birth rate that comes with a significantly increased and young population.

It is impossible to have this level of immigration into the UK without causing a housing crisis. Every three years we would need to build a city the size of Birmingham just to accommodate the people who arrive, never mind any children they may have. But the prevailing culture that has only allowed the positives of mass immigration to be spoken of until recently is, I believe, as much to blame as any other factor.

In short, a million more people into the UK every 3 years = lots of people with nowhere to live, no matter which party is in power.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Presumably he's under 30 - most young people will never be able to buy if things stay as they are (or get worse)

Has the expectation changed then? That's always been the case hasn't it?

I thought you had to work hard, save for a deposit and then buy, which takes time.
Not just expect to buy after a couple of years in work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here