Holroyd?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
To compare him with Dixon is ridiculous and questions Poyet's judgment, Dixon never got near the 1st team because the staff at the time could see he wasnt up to it, whereas Poyet is giving Holroyd plenty of game time. IMO he looks lively, but having to play wide in a 4-3-3 not really his best position, he looks more suited to playing off a centre forward type in a 4-4-2.
If he was as bad as some of the comments on here, do you honestly think Gus would have him anywhere near the squad?
Clearly he's no Dixon, Holroyd is actually a footballer, whether he's any good or not he still can't be compared to Dixon.

But speaking of Dixon does make me wonder, was he a Poyet signing, did Lloyd reccomend him? This was before he was demoted, I don't know how much knowledge Gus has of the Blue Square Premier?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Clearly he's no Dixon, Holroyd is actually a footballer, whether he's any good or not he still can't be compared to Dixon.

Know what you mean. Some of the players we've let anywhere near the first team in recent years don't just get let go by us, they actually give up on football altogether and change careers. I'm thinking Molango, Gatting, Dixon... Just shows how close to scraping the barrel we've actually been. Wouldn't say Holroyd is quite in that category. On the other hand tho, if he suddenly announced he was going to pack it in and retrain as, say, a geography teacher, then I wouldn't be all that surprised.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Isn't it strange that managers hate admitting that they've bought a bad player! Holroyd has had plenty of chances. He's not as good for the reserves as Cox, Brinkhurst or Barker.
After yesterday's limp performance, you'd hope that Gus would quietly ship the bloke out to a conference side.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
This bloke isn't 17 years old and raw, he is 24 mate.

History dictates that 10 appearances is normally enough to see if a player is up to it or not and unfortunately for Chris he isn't a L1 player.

Similar arguements can be spouted using many examples including

The Fox brothers
Simon Funnell
Jake RObinson
Joe Gatting
Chris McPhee

blah blah blah

Eventually you have to accept it, some see it earlier than others. You will prob take 35 games to come to this conclusion but I doubt he will get as many chances as some players I've mentioned.

So what would you have said about Navarro after his first ten appearances? Or Forster (who had scored 2 in 10 and everyone was saying was shit) ?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
So what would you have said about Navarro after his first ten appearances? Or Forster (who had scored 2 in 10 and everyone was saying was shit) ?

Hang on a minute, last night you were complaining about poor analogies! :laugh:

There's a difference between Forster, who was a very successful and proven goalscorer in a higher division, and Holroyd who has barely played a league game before.

Anyway, wasn't it only about 4 or 5 games Forster went at the start of the season without scoring?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Hang on a minute, last night you were complaining about poor analogies! :laugh:

There's a difference between Forster, who was a very successful and proven goalscorer in a higher division, and Holroyd who has barely played a league game before.

Anyway, wasn't it only about 4 or 5 games Forster went at the start of the season without scoring?

To be fair to him, Holroyd has only had about 4 or 5 games worth of time, two starts, subbed after an hour (one through injury) and a colllection of 10/20 minutes at the end of a match.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Needs a summer in the gym doing weights - too easily knocked off the ball for this league. Too early to say how good he can be, but he has a lot of work to do.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
give him a full pre season. ALSO critically he wasn't in goal scoring form before joining us all his goals for Cambridge came early in the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports